Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lift to Inverin wanted.

Options
  • 19-01-2013 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi folks,
    I'm looking for a regular lift from Galway / Salthill to Inverin for evening shift work in a Factory. I haven't started the job yet, but having a reliable lift would sure help the process along.
    Happy to chip in a fair price for petrol n the like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jason.Smy77

I'm also looking into the possibility of working a day shift in Inverin or maybe Spiddal.
    Given that i don't know what hours I'd be workin it's pretty tricky to rely on Bus Eireann.
    I'm all ears to an comments or suggestions anyone may have. It ain't easy finding work in
    town so I'm basically tryin to broaden my options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Might be worth sticking a notice up out in TG4 or any of the telly/film places near there. People definitely commute from Galway.

I might just do that,cheers inishboffin. Again though, the tricky part will be gettin out there to put up the notice :-/
    On the other hand,wouldn't it be mad if I landed an acting gig out of it :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Galwal - Inverin is 25-30km depending on what part of the city you are in.

You could get a bike and cycle, you should be able to do it in 45-50 minutes, it's almost flat the whole way.
    Get a bike with mudguards and rack mounts and buy a pannier bag, bring a change of clothes and a towel, you could even leave a little earlier and shower in work (of they have a staff shower).

Actually that's not so bad an idea Seaneh. It'd keep me fit, might even keep me off the smokes and hey who needs a staff shower when it rains 350 days a year :-)
    Keep the suggestions comin folks,I'm startin to feel pretty optimistic about this commuting craic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You could even buy the bike on the bike to work scheme and offset the price over a year as well as saving 30something% of the price. You could get a bike, cycling gear and lights etc and only have to pay it back weekly/monthly.

I know some that used to cycle to Spiddle but just be warned, I'd only do it if you're an experienced cyclist. It's a sh*t road to cycle on. Not terrain but traffic and danger wise. I would have suggested it too like Seaneh but for the scary stories of near accidents. Plus it's a hard owl slog in a storm!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hire out a bike from a shop in town and give it a try during the day.
    If you find it daunting then it's probably not a good idea to do it in the rain and dark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, is there anyone else working in the factory already who would be travelling from Galway?

Or if you get the job, could you move out there?

Remember, you are looking for an option that is viable every day that you need to go to work. Most bosses won't be too sympathetic to "ahh, sorry, I can't make it today 'cos the wind is too strong".

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Hi folks,
    I'm looking for a regular lift from Galway / Salthill to Inverin for evening shift work in a Factory. I haven't started the job yet, but having a reliable lift would sure help the process along.
    Happy to chip in a fair price for petrol n the like.

Would you not consider perhaps getting a car? Its a straight road out that direction and back and if you are working irregular hours it would make things an awful lot easier on you.

• Advertisement

Truth be told I ain't the strongest cyclist but that would surely change after a few weeks, daunting though. In an ideal world I would get a car but without work... I don't have the cash.... to get a car... to get to work... to get the cash.... for a car.
    Somethin's got to give to bust me out o that cycle.
    Has anyone herd anything about carpool.ie , the site's really tricky to navigate n search,for all know I'm the only person registered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Not sure if you are allowed to drive / can afford, but have you considered a scooter?

Would be a decent alternative for that sort of distance and not put you in as much pain as a bicycle on the bad days - very cheap to run as well.

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/find/scooters/for-sale/Ireland/

Truth be told I ain't the strongest cyclist but that would surely change after a few weeks, daunting though. .

It's more experience on the road. If you're healthy enough (though you mention the smokes :p) then the physical part will definitely get easier, although it doesn't happen overnight. Arriving stressed and tired to a new job, unless it's very easy work isn't the best idea. Biko's idea of renting a bike to try is good. Try it at 2 different times of day and in at least two different weather conditions (rain or drizzle? :rolleyes:).

Scooter is good idea, but just mind you need a basic driving licence to be on the road.

Advertisement