Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 5D Mark III Vs. Canon 6D..

• 19-01-2013 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade cameras and I'm trying to decide between these two..

I've currently got a Nikon D90 which serves me well but im looking to invest in a really good camera for the long term as I'm hoping to start a photography course in September or so...

I've looked at numerous reviews of the two and most seem to say that both cameras are pretty similar, other than Autofocus and Price.

What I'm wondering is, would it be better for me to buy the 6D and invest the extra cash in some good lenses or just go and buy the Canon 5D Mark III?

In regards to what I'll be shooting, I guess I'm a fan of all things. I partcularly like Wildlife and Nature, but I'm also a fan of portrait and sports..

Also, where is the best place to purchase either? Online or in a store?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Comments

I was looking at the 6D recently. Lack of a flash sync socket made it immediately redundant to me (I shoot portraits, mostly).

Something to take into consideration (as most people don't seem to realise it's lacking one).

Have you looked at the 7D? It's not full frame (maybe you need that?) but otherwise it's the best value for money camera out there at the moment in my personal opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

If you're willing to shell out for a 5dmkiii then I'd recommend getting yourself a good second hand 1dmkiv instead. Its a better all rounder than both of the others for a similar price and would be more suitable for wildlife and sport. Its very big and heavy though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

1d iv is not that big, i'd say size is regular as this body is from pro line.
    I had a chance to take some test shots with 6d. I'm very disapointed as I was using xd and xxd Canon digital bodies for years and now they changed buttons on the back side. It's ridiculous. Also 6d has only one year warranty and after warranty period shutter is not covered.
    In xd and xxd series there is warranty for 300k, 150k or 100k shutter actuations after 1yr warranty period. But anyways their target for 6d is 'rich amateur', so maybe that's why Canon decided to design such body. If someone is looking for very high iso then 6d might be good choice. It's personal choice I guess :)

MarkyMark22 you don't have any lenses from Canon yet, right? If you're familiar with Nikon then I'd stay stick with Nikon, however if you would like to spend some time and learn Canon system then go ahead and get 5d classic (full frame), 5d II (full frame), 1ds II (full frame), 1d III (crop 1.3) or even 40d, 50d (crop 1.6). Then get as best lens as you can afford. For example, for sports 70-200 2.8 and for nature 16-35 2.8 or 24-105 f4.
    If you have spare €3000 then sure you can go for 5d III, but then you need extra cash for lenses, cf cards etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

sebphoto wrote: »
    1d iv is not that big, i'd say size is regular as this body is from pro line.
    I had a chance to take some test shots with 6d. I'm very disapointed as I was using xd and xxd Canon digital bodies for years and now they changed buttons on the back side. It's ridiculous. Also 6d has only one year warranty and after warranty period shutter is not covered.
    In xd and xxd series there is warranty for 300k, 150k or 100k shutter actuations after 1yr warranty period. But anyways their target for 6d is 'rich amateur', so maybe that's why Canon decided to design such body. If someone is looking for very high iso then 6d might be good choice. It's personal choice I guess :)

MarkyMark22 you don't have any lenses from Canon yet, right? If you're familiar with Nikon then I'd stay stick with Nikon, however if you would like to spend some time and learn Canon system then go ahead and get 5d classic (full frame), 5d II (full frame), 1ds II (full frame), 1d III (crop 1.3) or even 40d, 50d (crop 1.6). Then get as best lens as you can afford. For example, for sports 70-200 2.8 and for nature 16-35 2.8 or 24-105 f4.
    If you have spare €3000 then sure you can go for 5d III, but then you need extra cash for lenses, cf cards etc..

camera body only is (£1820) approx €2K in shops in Ireland (Nordy)

*= price ex VAT - irish VAT registered photographers get VAT deducted at source when purchasing in the North.

Corkbah wrote: »
    camera body only is (£1820) approx €2K in shops in Ireland (Nordy)

*= price ex VAT - irish VAT registered photographers get VAT deducted at source when purchasing in the North.

Could you send any link to any shops where you can get 5d III body for circa €2k nett please?

• Advertisement

www.DLKPhoto.co.uk

Paul or Brian

I think Ballyman posted on a different thread about getting the 5D mkIII for around €2200 (from abroad including import duty...i think)

www.DLKPhoto.co.uk

Paul or Brian

So they're asking circa €2563 gross with shipping for 5d III.

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the link.

Any ideas what is VAT rate in UK for such products?

I think Ballyman posted on a different thread about getting the 5D mkIII for around €2200 (from abroad including import duty...i think)

I didn't heard about it.
    Anyways, you can always pay circa €2347 if you buy from procamerashop.co.uk, but:
    1. they are not willing to provide receipt nor VAT invoice
    2. they say that they're not registered for VAT
    3. they don't provide manufacturer warranty, but in-house warranty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I paid a good bit more than €2200 :) but it was only just after being released when I bought it and the local shops were looking for €3500 including VAT. The price has come down a lot since.

I phoned them up about 2weeks ago and got 5D mkIII, 24-70 mkII, 70-200mm mkII and 600ex-rt flash....gave them my VAT number and got a quote.

...approx £5K ...approx €6050....paid by credit card.

I phoned them on a monday afternoon and was told it was all in store Thurs - I went up and collected on Friday as I wanted it for Sunday (Premiere of Lincoln in Dublin).

Went into Conns and the camera body only was €3300 (incl VAT) ...so approx €2500 in Conns (ex VAT) - they couldn't match the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sayn

Hello guys,
    So what is the cheapest way to get the 5D mkIII to Ireland (Dublin)?

I moved to Ireland not that long ago, I am not familiar with these VAT things yet...

For example, procamerashop.co.uk lists the 5D mkiii for 2000 GBP

Does that mean I can deduct the VAT from the price? That's the procedure?
    And that is the warranty if I buy in UK? Is it EU warranty, or if something happens I need to send camera back to UK?

I would appreciate your advice!

• Advertisement

sayn wrote: »
    For example, procamerashop.co.uk lists the 5D mkiii for 2000 GBP

Does that mean I can deduct the VAT from the price? That's the procedure?

I don't think so. I assume you're registered for VAT. Unfortunately they say that they are not registered for VAT therefore they won't issue a VAT invoice. In other thread (link) I asked about it one person who purchased something from procamerashop, but this person never replied.
    And that is the warranty if I buy in UK? Is it EU warranty, or if something happens I need to send camera back to UK?

I would appreciate your advice!

See faulty goods section here. It doesn't sound like EU warranty nor manufacturer warranty.

I don't think so. I assume you're registered for VAT. Unfortunately they say that they are not registered for VAT therefore they won't issue a VAT invoice. In other thread (link) I asked about it one person who purchased something from procamerashop, but this person never replied.

See faulty goods section here. It doesn't sound like EU warranty nor manufacturer warranty.

Thanks! Ok, 2350 EUR is still a good deal. Have you seen any better?
    Have you bought the 5d mkIII from them?
    And what about import duties, if goods are ordered from UK?

Thanks! Ok, 2350 EUR is still a good deal. Have you seen any better?
    Have you bought the 5d mkIII from them?
    And what about import duties, if goods are ordered from UK?

Re 1:
    Depends if you're registered for VAT, if yes, then take a look here

Re 2: no

Re 3: we're in EU = afaik no import duty.

Re 1:
    Depends if you're registered for VAT, if yes, then take a look here

Re 2: no

Re 3: we're in EU = afaik no import duty.
    1. No, I'm not
    3. Great!
    2. Are you still looking? Have you explored other options?

1. No, I'm not
    3. Great!
    2. Are you still looking? Have you explored other options?

I'm not looking, however if you're seriously interested in this body - pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Business seller information:
    UK BNS
    Hong Kong

Therefore take into consideration 23%VAT + import duty.

are u sure the customs is not already paid by them? I ordered before and paid only price listed an dgot item no prob.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Business seller information:
    UK BNS
    Hong Kong

Therefore take into consideration 23%VAT + import duty.

i've bought off them before. their stuff is shipped from UK, so the price listed is the price you pay and no more.

i've bought off them before. their stuff is shipped from UK, so the price listed is the price you pay and no more.

So that's great. They're registered in the UK or HK? :)
    Anyways price is similar to dlkphoto.

ps. I just got email from them and they don't provide VAT invoices. Sounds like (imho) gray market import.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

So that's great. They're registered in the UK or HK? :)
    Anyways price is similar to dlkphoto.

ps. I just got email from them and they don't provide VAT invoices. Sounds like (imho) gray market import.

i am assuming that their stock comes from HK, but they are sold and shipped from the UK. their prices are the cheapest for UK market!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

5d mark iii seems to beat the 6d on a lot of fronts, but costs a lot more.

5d mark ii vs 6d is a closer call for me if we're talking about similar price ranges. 6d trumps the 5d2 in most areas, but costs an extra couple of hundred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

condra wrote: »

5d mark ii vs 6d is a closer call for me if we're talking about similar price ranges. 6d trumps the 5d2 in most areas, but costs an extra couple of hundred.

Is the 6D weather sealed like the 5Dmkii?

condra wrote: »

Thanks, Cap! :D

Is the 6D weather sealed like the 5Dmkii?

According to Canon, it is weather sealed, though I get the impression the build quality on the 5d2 is very slightly better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I saw there's a liveview phone app for the 6D. You can even use your phone to select where in the frame to focus. Great addition.

Effects wrote: »
    I saw there's a liveview phone app for the 6D. You can even use your phone to select where in the frame to focus. Great addition.

Yeah. Imagine that in a studio with an iPad. Very cool indeed.

Effects wrote: »

there's a few of those apps for different cameras ... normally though the camera needs to be tethered to a laptop for the app to work....not very practical but they dont tell you that until you are trying to set it up.

all that they say is you can wirelessly control your camera using the app and a wi-fi network....I had visions of putting a camera on a joby gorillapod and operating it ...needless to say I was disappointed.

The 6D has on board wifi that connects to your smartphone directly and the app is designed by Canon.

• Advertisement

Advertisement