Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duracell DL123A 3v Lithium battery prices

Options
  • 19-01-2013 6:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

I'm about to resurrect the photography hobby and need batteries (two of above or equivalent) for my old Canon EOS film-camera.

Pricing Duracells, I got prices of between €10.30 and €9.99 EACH for the batteries.

In the UK they sell for STG£2.74 each (Sainsburys) or STG£5.84 for a twin-pack in Tescos.

Why the enormous differences in prices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

It's Ireland - we always get ripped off. In fact I can literally count on my hand the number of things that I've found cheaper here compared to the UK. One bizarrely was Vodafone Blackberry Enterprise Licences... there are others but I struggle to think of them....

I think (and it's only my own guess) that the UK retailers and wholesellers must be recouping their costs of supplying/selling in Northern Ireland through the prices they charge in ROI. They have increased transport costs to get their products to NI but still sell them for the same price as the rest of UK (As far as I know). So to offset this they use a nice Euro rate conversion and also just apply the RRP to us down here. As it crosses the border the price magically increases disproportionately to the GBP price. It's even more pronounced, I'd say, for items that are not in demand and that generally will sit on a shop shelf, like those batteries.

Twin pack of Duracell D123A's are on Ebay from UK for €4.60 +€1.78 p+p. It's the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mathepac wrote: »
    Pricing Duracells, I got prices of between €10.30 and €9.99 EACH for the batteries.

Why the enormous differences in prices?
    Where was this, supermarkets (like with like) or somewhere where it would obviously usually be more expensive, like a camera shop or jewellers.

2 pack for €10.99 here
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/DURACELL-DL123ACR123AEL123A-Ultra-Photo-123A-Lithium-Camera-Batteries-2-Battery-Pack/310960/12.8

You realise you can get rechargeable versions of these?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

rubadub wrote: »
    ... You realise you can get rechargeable versions of these?
    Yes and they're useful if you have a charger - I don't and just needed to get 2 of them to power a film camera so I could test some lenses I was interested in.

Thanks for the pcworld link - they've come up trumps yet again. The retailers I tried were a well known online electronics reseller and a two very well-known camera shops in Dublin (they also sell online but I'd imagine their main business is face-to-face)

Now that I'm equipped with a digital SLR complete with camera-grip since tonight, a charger is on the cards for AAs as well as for 123s.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mathepac wrote: »
    Yes and they're useful if you have a charger
    Just checking my ebay history on gmail I got 2 batteries and the charger for US$11.90 incl delivery back in 2004. I know back then the price was about the same as 2 regular batteries here.

I doubt they are as good as the duracells but many decent rechargeable AAs are better than a lot of normal AAs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

rubadub wrote: »
    I doubt they are as good as the duracells but many decent rechargeable AAs are better than a lot of normal AAs.
    Yeah the chap I bought the camera off said that even a budget charger (ALDI/LIDL/Maplin/eBay) and rechargeable AAs were cheaper in the long-term than alkalinise.

• Advertisement

ill buy durcell on amazon when im getitng orther stuff 22 aaa or 22 aa for 12 euro where in tesco there 15 euro for a pack of 8 with 2 free special offer my arse

Advertisement