Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from outside of the EU

Options
  • 19-01-2013 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hey
    So im planning on importing 1300EURO worth of goods next week but after a bit of research i could be paying 23% vat and 14% customs on the whole order. That would be an extra 481 I would have to pay. Is there a cheaper way? How do businesses survive if they have to pay this much import tax?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Because everybody has to pay import charges when importing, no body has any advantage, everyone pays them. It's also much cheaper on most things then buying inside europe

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Dazza wrote: »
    Hey
    So im planning on importing 1300EURO worth of goods next week but after a bit of research i could be paying 23% vat and 14% customs on the whole order. That would be an extra 481 I would have to pay. Is there a cheaper way? How do businesses survive if they have to pay this much import tax?
    Thanks

Hello Dazza,

14% import duty suggests footwear ? Assuming that this is correct and that the € 1300.00 value you mention includes the freight and transport insurance, the following is the duty / VAT calculation

€ 1300 @ 14% = € 182.00
    € 1482 @ 23% = € 340.86

Total duty / VAT outlay = € 522.86.

If you are a VAT registered trader you can claim the VAT paid on imports back in your periodic VAT return.

My concern would be that there may also be additional costs for clearance, handling and delivery, which could be substantial if the goods arrive by seafreight.

Feel free to contact me or post again if you require any further assistance

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement