Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

white passports

Options
  • 19-01-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

just wondering what the general consensus is on buying a horse with a white passport. have heard that it is really just a document showing the horses age but with no guarantee it is the actual age?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

You must buy the horse......not the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Not necessarily. The age should be accurate (although not always). It just means that the horse is of unknown or unrecorded breeding.

My gelding has a white passport. Makes no difference to me... I dont want to show him.. and he's a gelding. Would be different if I were buying a mare Id hope to breed from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 starpixie

Gorteen wrote: »
    You must buy the horse......not the book!

Thats REALLY helpful thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 starpixie

Thanks Fits, I was just unsure as had heard that the age of the horse could be totally off if it only had a white passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

It shouldnt be. You have to get a vet to fill out the passport form and they will assess the horses age, and markings etc.

If the horse has the passport from birth or since being young, its probably accurate enough. If the passport is older or a replacement, it might be dodgy or it might not. Most horses are microchipped and that should correspond with passport as well.

I am not saying the system is infallible but you can use your own powers of deduction in many cases.

If you are thinking of buying, get the horse vetted. The vet will have a good look at the passport to make sure it matches as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

It depends a lot on when the passport issued.

We just bought a 6 year old with a white passport issued 2 years ago when he was 4 - a vet filling out the application and markings is not realistically going to mistake a 4 year old so I would be very comfortable as regards his correct age.

On the other hand we bought a pony in 09 who was clearly somewhere in his teens but had just had a white passport issued the previous year, making him supposedly 14. When he just faded away with all sorts of age related issues last year and had to be PTS, vet said he was mid twenties.

Compulsory passports seem to be accepted now (not so by a lot of people up to recently) so Id say you will see very few aged horses and ponies being passported for sale for the first time in their teens from now on.

Advertisement