Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow speeds & fibre rollout

Options
  • 19-01-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been getting speeds of between 2.9-3.7Mb on what I believe to be the 8Mb NGB 'Unlimited' usage package. I'm in the Donaghmede area and I was wondering if you would be able to get Technical Support to bring the speed up to the highest possible on the line or ask if any adjustment can be made to the profile? Please let me know who I should PM the details to.

My second question was about the fibre rollout - apparently my area is connected to the Belcamp exchange which I was told by the agent was due for January - are there any updates on when this service will become available and how it will affect my speed?

UPDATE: One more thing guys - am I actually on a contract with you? I cannot remember agreeing to contract terms and I was not given a new router free of charge when I joined. When I joined over the phone, I was moving from Vodafone who were giving me an unstable 3-4mb connection. When I moved back to Eircom over the phone, the rep told me that I would receive a higher speed on the line than the 3-4mb Vodafone were giving me, so, if I am in any contract and you cannot resolve this speed issue for me, you have broken the contract as this was a clause when joining and under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, the service is "not as described". Eircom may say "up to" in their speeds, however, when an agent guarantees more than a certain speed, that becomes a clause in the contract.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Sorry to hijack but Im having the same issue. Paying for 7mb but rarely get above 2mb. I know its "up to" but these speeds are ridiculous. I'm not getting what I'm paying for!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Irishchick wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but Im having the same issue. Paying for 7mb but rarely get above 2mb. I know its "up to" but these speeds are ridiculous. I'm not getting what I'm paying for!
    Completely agree - the newer areas to get broadband across the country can benefit from speeds of 15-24mb, yet, some older areas in Dublin (in my case) and in other areas across the country cannot get more than 3mb - they really need to update the wiring in these places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Well I'm hoping when Sky do officially launch, i'll be able to get a better speed with them. One provider with a line checker claims my line quality is about 22mb.

When i asked Eircom about this. They claimed my line can only handle 7mb ( truly wondered since then are they telling me the truth) 

I do get a pretty decent speed on my current package. I average about 6.2 to 6.5 Mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Well I'm hoping when Sky do officially launch, i'll be able to get a better speed with them. One provider with a line checker claims my line quality is about 22mb.

When i asked Eircom about this. They claimed my line can only handle 7mb ( truly wondered since then are they telling me the truth) 

I do get a pretty decent speed on my current package. I average about 6.2 to 6.5 Mb
    Have you rang them? I did last week and the sales guy was great. I ended the phone call a happy person and potentially a happy Sky customer in a few weeks.

Saving €35 - €40 a month, I also have free Irish and international landline calls anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

2 years with eircom last speedtest was 0.45 download,absolute nightare to deal wit.moved to wimax.broadband booming in at between 7.50mb/s & 11.75mb/s.works out at 27.50euro a month inc phone,check out my previous posts compaining about eircom.they done nothing to solve.any eircom reps want to question this publicy I'm more than happy to go speak in this forum face to face,......................

I dont expect a reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Guys, just on the Sky broadband issue. They will be using the Eircom network, not their own, so any speeds they can quote will all be based on whether or not the Eircom infrastructure can actually handle the speeds. I would advise against signing up until you can ascertain what the lines can cope with. Where I am, I can only get up to 2mb (which is ridiculous), but thats because of the Eircom infrastructure, so would be pointless moving to Sky. UPC aren't in my area for anything other than TV, and any wireless service cannot provide the ping times required for stable online gaming. We are, unfortunately, at the mercy of the Eircom monoply when it comes to fixed line infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

rm212 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been getting speeds of between 2.9-3.7Mb on what I believe to be the 8Mb NGB 'Unlimited' usage package. I'm in the Donaghmede area and I was wondering if you would be able to get Technical Support to bring the speed up to the highest possible on the line or ask if any adjustment can be made to the profile? Please let me know who I should PM the details to.

My second question was about the fibre rollout - apparently my area is connected to the Belcamp exchange which I was told by the agent was due for January - are there any updates on when this service will become available and how it will affect my speed?

UPDATE: One more thing guys - am I actually on a contract with you? I cannot remember agreeing to contract terms and I was not given a new router free of charge when I joined. When I joined over the phone, I was moving from Vodafone who were giving me an unstable 3-4mb connection. When I moved back to Eircom over the phone, the rep told me that I would receive a higher speed on the line than the 3-4mb Vodafone were giving me, so, if I am in any contract and you cannot resolve this speed issue for me, you have broken the contract as this was a clause when joining and under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, the service is "not as described". Eircom may say "up to" in their speeds, however, when an agent guarantees more than a certain speed, that becomes a clause in the contract.

Thanks.
    Hi rm212

Would you like to DM me your landline number please? I will look into this and run a few tests

Regards

Al

Irishchick wrote: »
    Hi Irishchick

Would you also like to PM me your number? I'll look into what may be causing this issue.

Regards

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Have you rang them? I did last week and the sales guy was great. I ended the phone call a happy person and potentially a happy Sky customer in a few weeks.

Saving €35 - €40 a month, I also have free Irish and international landline calls anytime.
    I've no longer got Sky tv in my house and, anyways those deals, were only attainable because they were already customers of Sky. 

Sky, i believe will officially launch their broadband services sometime in Feb or March?

I will check with them then and, see what they can do for me?

Some Folks i read were quoted 10 euros a month for broadband and phone and, others were quoted 27 euros. Amazing deals can't away from that. Eircom, obviously will lose revenue with people switching to Sky, but will recoup some of it on the back end ( wholesale line rental)

I myself pay Eircom 68 Euros a month for a basic internet package, and this includes line rental and the 21% tax rate. 

Who in their right mind would stay with Eircom, Sky can offer everyone the same product at a much lower cost and in some cases will be able to increases their internet speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Hi Irishchick

Would you also like to PM me your number? I'll look into what may be causing this issue.

Regards

Al
    Just messaged you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

I'm paying just under €60 a month and my internet keeps dropping. I spent a good while on to broadband support, an engineer has been to the house a few times tested the phone point and said that it's getting 2meg no problem.  Just got it back going there after a few hours. the broadband support have brought it down to 1meg now. just tested it myself and it is now 0.88meg.
    €60 a month is a bit too much for such low speeds, is there any phone package that tailored for houses that are not capable of getting reasonable broadband, or is it just tough luck?

donalfo wrote: »
    I'm paying just under €60 a month and my internet keeps dropping. I spent a good while on to broadband support, an engineer has been to the house a few times tested the phone point and said that it's getting 2meg no problem.  Just got it back going there after a few hours. the broadband support have brought it down to 1meg now. just tested it myself and it is now 0.88meg.
    €60 a month is a bit too much for such low speeds, is there any phone package that tailored for houses that are not capable of getting reasonable broadband, or is it just tough luck?

Hi donalfo

Would you like to PM me your landline number/account number? If so, I will look into this issue and look into a better package for you.

Regards

Al

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Guys, just on the Sky broadband issue. They will be using the Eircom network, not their own, so any speeds they can quote will all be based on whether or not the Eircom infrastructure can actually handle the speeds. I would advise against signing up until you can ascertain what the lines can cope with. Where I am, I can only get up to 2mb (which is ridiculous), but thats because of the Eircom infrastructure, so would be pointless moving to Sky. UPC aren't in my area for anything other than TV, and any wireless service cannot provide the ping times required for stable online gaming. We are, unfortunately, at the mercy of the Eircom monoply when it comes to fixed line infrastructure.

Its BT's old gear actually from what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Hi,
    I'm not sure what can be done about my situation.
    Near ennis, I recently switched  from Vodafone to eircom wtih 4meg broadband. Its not bad, but not great.
    They tried to sell me 7mb broadband, but I know from experience that 4.5 meg is the max it tops out at.
    I was promised that I should see a speed improvement, as vodafone at 48:1 contention but eircom have 24:1 contention.
    All sounded hunky dory.

Until it comes to when I want to use it in the evening. I understand a slowdown at high volume times, but my speeds have gotten worse. Speedtest.net threw up 0.3Mbps to limerick yesterday evening.
    As an example, youtube in unusable.

If eircom are unable to provide a usable service, let me know, and I'll head back to vodafone.

tagoona wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm not sure what can be done about my situation.
    Near ennis, I recently switched  from Vodafone to eircom wtih 4meg broadband. Its not bad, but not great.
    They tried to sell me 7mb broadband, but I know from experience that 4.5 meg is the max it tops out at.
    I was promised that I should see a speed improvement, as vodafone at 48:1 contention but eircom have 24:1 contention.
    All sounded hunky dory.

Until it comes to when I want to use it in the evening. I understand a slowdown at high volume times, but my speeds have gotten worse. Speedtest.net threw up 0.3Mbps to limerick yesterday evening.
    As an example, youtube in unusable.

If eircom are unable to provide a usable service, let me know, and I'll head back to vodafone.

Hi tagoona

Would you like to PM me your landline number? I will conduct a few tests on your line and look further into this.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Hi tagoona

Would you like to PM me your landline number? I will conduct a few tests on your line and look further into this.

Regards

Al
    PM sent. Thanks Alan

Advertisement