Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Football Tips Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

gone for an Ireland win, I just find it good value @ 2.56. we should win, it wont be easy but if the lads play aswel as they did against Sweden we'll win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

went with no goalscorer in the irish game at 15/2 (skybet)

double of draw in the ire/aus france/spain games at 9.73/1 (skybet)

one pretty much made up from here

belgium-1
    holland-1
    israel dnb

slightly over 4/1

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

plying it safe with Holland and Belgium after them hairy Japanese bastards earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

GK1001 wrote: »
    Thinking of emptying the account on Holland tonight at 1/3...huge bet and wouldn't be able to watch it...I'll leave it till 6 and see if I build up the head of steam required
    Couldn't do it..just went with 90
    I've also put 50 on Ecuador at 3/5 later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

England double chance 1/4
    Ireland Austria under 3.5 1/4

Double pays 1.50

lump job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Without doing much research more based on memory:

1 Yes Bolivia v Argentina
    (Both Teams to Score) 26/03/2013 None 1.72 To Run
    2 Yes Chile v Uruguay
    (Both Teams to Score) 26/03/2013 None 1.72 To Run
    3 Yes Northern Ireland v Israel
    (Both Teams to Score) 26/03/2013 None 1.90 To Run
    4 Yes France v Spain
    (Both Teams to Score) 26/03/2013 None 1.90 To Run
    5 Yes Montenegro v England
    (Both Teams to Score) 26/03/2013 None 1.83 To Run

Works out at around @20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Gone for a double tonight of BTTS,

England v Montenegro
    France v Spain

Yes @ 3.8 pp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

PP have over 9 corners at 1/1 does not seem a bit low.

The ref also looks strick enough over 40 ponts is 13/10
    http://www.soccerway.com/referees/marijo-strahonja/44457/

I think I'll do the corners on its own and they have

over 9 corners card index over 40 pts 7/2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

ireland
    serbia
    spain

to win 8/1

through a tenner on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

I think Over 2.5 in the Holland/Romania @4/5 is too good to miss have it in my accum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Ecuador @ 8/15
    Win-Draw-Win
    Ecuador v Paraguay
    England @ evens
    Win-Draw-Win
    Montenegro v England
    Poland @ 11/10
    Handicap Betting(-5.0)
    Poland v San Marino
    Italy @ 2/9
    Alternative Handicap(-1.0)
    Malta v Italy
    Ireland And Draw @ 3/10
    Double Chance
    Ireland v Austria
    Germany @ 8/13
    Alternative Handicap(-3.0)
    Germany v Kazakhstan
    Serbia @ 4/7
    Win-Draw-Win
    Serbia v Scotland
    Algeria @ 1/3
    Win-Draw-Win
    Algeria v Benin
    Denmark @ 4/6
    Win-Draw-Win
    Denmark v Bulgaria
    Ukraine @ 1/7
    Win-Draw-Win
    Ukraine v Moldova

65/1 for the crack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

any team news in the france v spain match?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Ireland dont have a good record against Austria so having a few quid on Austria @ 3.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Eden Ben Basat(israel) at 5/2 anytime and Alex Tonev (bulgaria) 11/1 anytime, small singles on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭Lasagna Diarra

I've gone big on Under 3.5 in Estonia vs Andorra @ 1.33 - it's almost a banker imo

The games between Estonia and smaller countries always go under 3.5, plus Andorra seem to have improved their defense, only 3 goals conceded away to Holland, 2 at home vs Turkey...

FT 2-0 :)

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    any team news in the france v spain match?

Lloris - Jallet, Varane, Koscielny, Evra - Cabaye, Pogba, Matuidi - Valbuena, Benzema, Ribéry

Valdés - Arbeloa, Piqué, Sergio Ramos, Monreal - Xabi Alonso, Busquets, Xavi - Pedro, Villa, Iniesta

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

robbie1977 wrote: »
    PP have over 9 corners at 1/1 does not seem a bit low.

The ref also looks strick enough over 40 ponts is 13/10
    http://www.soccerway.com/referees/marijo-strahonja/44457/

I think I'll do the corners on its own and they have

over 9 corners card index over 40 pts 7/2

like the look of this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Mansfield Kidderminster double at evens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

elefant wrote: »
    like the look of this!

The same bet on bet365 works out at 2.36/1 so at least it looks value.

San Marino not to score
    Germany-2
    @ 1.31

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭PunterAssist

Lloris - Jallet, Varane, Koscielny, Evra - Cabaye, Pogba, Matuidi - Valbuena, Benzema, Ribéry

Valdés - Arbeloa, Piqué, Sergio Ramos, Monreal - Xabi Alonso, Busquets, Xavi - Pedro, Villa, Iniesta

Big question marks over Pogba against the likes of Alonso, Busquets and Xavi but France will be counter attacking on the wings so from an offensive point of view his role will be diminished but I expect Spain to cut through the middle with ease tonight so the main battle that will play a big part in determining the outcome will be between Ribéry and Arbeloa. Could be worth looking into Arbeloa to be booked.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

francie81 wrote: »
    I think Over 2.5 in the Holland/Romania @4/5 is too good to miss have it in my accum.

Nice one. Cashed this out already.

Ecuador v Paraguay

Gone for Caicedo to score anytime for the home team, he's on fire and scoring regularly for them 6/5

Eden Ben Basat(israel) at 5/2 anytime and Alex Tonev (bulgaria) 11/1 anytime, small singles on both.
    Boom and boo, happy with that.

Ecuador v Paraguay

Gone for Caicedo to score anytime for the home team, he's on fire and scoring regularly for them 6/5

booooooooooooooooom headshot :pac:

booooooooooooooooom headshot :pac:
    Got greedy and doubled him with Suarez, im sure to regret, love Caicedo.

Big question marks over Pogba against the likes of Alonso, Busquets and Xavi but France will be counter attacking on the wings so from an offensive point of view his role will be diminished but I expect Spain to cut through the middle with ease tonight so the main battle that will play a big part in determining the outcome will be between Ribéry and Arbeloa. Could be worth looking into Arbeloa to be booked.

Pogba sent off and Arbeloa booked. A Ribery goal in the last couple of minutes to get the clean sweep?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

MrMischief wrote: »
    Big stake on Belgium/Holland double @ 1.54

Small stake on the following treble for a bit of interest and seems decent value based on form.

Israel away to Northern Ireland
    Serbia home to Scotland
    Croatia away to Wales

6.74 on Betfair

Gutted with the Irish result but some consolation in the bulge on my Betfair account.

Netherlands Win and Over 2.5 goals @ 1.95 (Bet365)

Netherlands 4-0

San Marino not to score
    Germany-2
    @ 1.31

Boom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Shane St. wrote: »
    No time for a write up today. Got this double from bettingzone, just over evens
    Holland 3/10
    Serbia 6/10
    50 on that.
    And 10r on Ireland Austria draw 9/4
    England 20/23
    works out at 5/1

Main bet won happy out :)

madma wrote: »
    gone for an Ireland win, I just find it good value @ 2.56. we should win, it wont be easy but if the lads play aswel as they did against Sweden we'll win

thank god for being able to trade! cashed out on 75mins for about 65-70% profit. would have been sick.. but im sick with the result anyways :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Had Ireland/Spain double @ 5/1, disgusted. Also hopped on the Belgium -1/Netherlands -1 double, disgusted. Must stay away from internationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

thank god for being able to trade! cashed out on 75mins for about 65-70% profit. would have been sick.. but im sick with the result anyways :(

Same as myself except I only covered my stake with a Austria DC, still had a good night with the corners ( a pretty poor bet that was lucky to come off) and Holland.

Last minute goal leaves a sour taste though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

mailburner wrote: »

double of draw in the ire/aus france/spain games at 9.73/1 (skybet)

belgium-1
    holland-1
    israel dnb

slightly over 4/1

I'll have to find a different sport to bet on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

redarmy wrote: »
    Single To Win Wayne Rooney to score anytime and England to win @ 3/1
    Enhanced Special
    Rooney Wincast Treble To Win Holland @ 5/6
    Handicap Betting(-1.0)
    Holland v Romania
    Croatia @ 8/11
    Win-Draw-Win
    Wales v Croatia
    Belgium @ 2/9
    Win-Draw-Win
    Belgium v Macedonia went with this:) good luck all 2nite

feck england. but will take the treble ..:D

Chile V Uruguay

I can see a few yellows and a possible sending off in this game . Both teams full of nutters.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Same as myself except I only covered my stake with a Austria DC, still had a good night with the corners ( a pretty poor bet that was lucky to come off) and Holland.

Last minute goal leaves a sour taste though.

I learned the hard way in the past to never stay in on the late stages.. its now wonder the bookies are rich I can only imagine how many punters go into a bookie and back a team without the option of any in-play trading. yeah internationals are a pain.. infact all football has gotten so hard to predict just gotta find good markets and do your homework and get luck of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    Not much value around at all today, but a couple of bets I've looked at that people might be interested in:

Ecuador (4/7 Bet 365) vs Parguay:

Ecuador have a big advantage when playing at home due to the altitude, so much so they have won their last 10 games at home (in all competitions) and have only been beaten by an excellent young Colombia side since October 2010.

Also of interest is that Ecuador have won 8 of those last 10 homes games to nil.

Paraguay meanwhile have really struggled in qualification this year and prop up the table on 8 points. They did nick a point against an out of form Uruguay side the other night but have only won 1 game in 8 (in all competitions) on the road and that was against Guatemala.

Ecuador to win at 4/7 looks attractive and some may also be tempted by Ecuador to win to nil at 6/5, also with Bet 365.

Albania (5/6 188 Bet) vs Lithuania:

Note that this is a friendly.

I think Albania are good value at home here despite this being a friendly.

Albania have only lost 2 of their last 7 games at home and will be in good spirits after an excellent 1-0 win away to Norway at the weekend in a WCQ.

Lithuania meanwhile are absolutely shocking away from home, losing 14 of their last 18 away with their sole win in the last 14 away coming against Leichenstein.

Lithuania clearly suffer on the road and with Albania in such high spirits I think there's value to be had about the 5/6 price.

Czech Republic (10/9 Pinnacle) vs Armenia:

Whilst most people will remember Armenia for causing a lot of problems in Ireland's group last time out, this is a game where I think the Czech's are value.

Yes, Armenia are not a bad side, but they are missing 5 or 6 important players which has left the manager with no choice but to field inexperienced, second choice players. They also rarely keep clean sheets at home (1 in their last 7), so I would argue such an inexperienced team will struggle to cope if/when the Czech's score.

The Czech's welcome back Premier League players such as Rosicky and Cech for this one which should strengthen them significantly. They have also been pretty solid away from home in recent times, with only 1 defeat in 9 away, impressively beating Turkey 2-0 away from home most recently.

They are far from an excellent or even very good side, but I think they're worth a punt at that price against a team with so many players missing and a knack of conceding at least one goal a game.

Good luck all!

Full-time:

Ecuador 4-1 Paraguay
    Albania 4-1 Lithuania
    Armenia 0-3 Czech Republic

Hopefully someone got on these anyway.

In what sums up my last few weeks I had a bet on Japan in the early kick off at 8/13 for interest instead of backing these first which knocked me off for the day :rolleyes:

That's when you know it's time to take a break :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I learned the hard way in the past to never stay in on the late stages.. its now wonder the bookies are rich I can only imagine how many punters go into a bookie and back a team without the option of any in-play trading. yeah internationals are a pain.. infact all football has gotten so hard to predict just gotta find good markets and do your homework and get luck of course :)

While those last minute goals can be a killer, trading in play isn't a smart move for most. Think of it this way. You put all that time and effort in coming up with a selection which you think represents value, you then trade when this selection is winning. This is often at odds with whether it's a good trade and often you're giving value away. Most people who trade in play would make more/lose less money in the long term if they just let all their bets run.

Opr

opr wrote: »
    While those last minute goals can be a killer, trading in play isn't a smart move for most. Think of it this way. You put all that time and effort in coming up with a selection which you think represents value, you then trade when this selection is winning. This is often at odds with whether it's a good trade and often you're giving value away. Most people who trade in play would make more/lose less money in the long term if they just let all their bets run.

Opr

You are not factoring in that most people bet too high a percentage of their bankroll which turns a bet with a positive expectation into a long term losing proposition so for these people reducing their liability in play could work out well in the long run.

You are not factoring in that most people bet too high a percentage of their bankroll which turns a bet with a positive expectation into a long term losing proposition so for these people reducing their liability in play could work out well in the long run.

Betting outside your bankroll does not turn a bet with a positive expectation into a long term losing proposition. Either a bet has a positive expectation or a negative expectation. Reducing you're exposure will not effect this. I think you're talking about risk of ruin which a completely different topic.

Opr

Opr

the above poster explained a point..

Not at all, if I I did that bet for instance in a regular bookies, the bookie has the edge on 2 of the 3 outcomes. stats have shown in the long run that if you trade out of a winning bet with 20mins to go or at half time or whenever - you will win long term. this is of course if the team is only winning by 1 goal like Ireland being 2-1 up, so instead of losing my stake in the last minute I was able not only get my stake back but I got 65-70% profit of what I could have won if Ireland won. but they didn't so it was a loss. add to this that its guaranteed and I didn't have to sit on the edge of my seat for the last 15/20 mins sweating like the majority of punters. infact I think its mad that people don't use a trading site, too many positives from it

for instance I know a guy who has been able to make good money from sports trading, the majority of his bets end up losing but because of inplay trading they turn out to be profit. if you look at stats of teams that say take the lead alot but draw or lose alot too you can back them then cash out when their winning for profit. that just an example.

the other good option is laying. you can be the bookie but this would require a decent bankroll

it doesn't always go to plan. you could back a team to win and if all doesn't go to plan and its still 0-0 after a while and you cut half your losses for instance and trade out and then your team ends up winning etc but i find being dicplined works for long term - ie. have a certain time to trade in and out of bets and stick to it

the main problem with all this is you've got to be watching whatever your betting on in-play!

I'll try to be nice but to honest there is so much rubbish in the above post it would take weeks to reply properly.
    The bookie has the edge on 2 of the 3 outcomes?

What does that even mean. That they can win with two outcomes while you can only win with one? Eh that is built into the price you back your selection at.

Of course if you trade out of a bet with 20 minutes to go it will show a profit. You're winning at the time of the trade. What are you expecting it to show? My point is this and please try and think through what I'm saying. Lets say by laying out of 1000 winning bets at the time you make an overall profit of €10k. I'm saying that if you never traded out of any of these bets that your overall profit would be higher that than €10k. Yes you will get single games when you will get caught with a last minute winner but overall in the long term by never trading you would have made more profit. The reason is that most people trade blind. They trade for the sake of trading and often that trade has a negative expectation.

The anecdotal story of the guy you know while nice proves nothing and actually that kind of thinking is preposterous. My next door neighbour has won a load of money buying scratch cards but it doesn't mean I'm going to buy them.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

jebus84 wrote: »
    plying it safe with Holland and Belgium after them hairy Japanese bastards earlier

thank **** i stayed away from england

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

What should 1 unit be as a % of your bankroll?

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    What should 1 unit be as a % of your bankroll?

How long is a piece of string...

Some peoples write their max bet as 5 points and others write it as 10 points and they could be the same percentage.

If someones bankroll is €100 and it can be easily replaced 1 point could be a higher percentage than someone whose bankroll is €10,000.

When people give a number of points bet it is usually to keep track for a betting log.

If you see someone stake 7/10 for example that would be a measure of their confidence.

Betting outside your bankroll does not turn a bet with a positive expectation into a long term losing proposition. Either a bet has a positive expectation or a negative expectation. Reducing you're exposure will not effect this. I think you're talking about risk of ruin which a completely different topic.

Opr

I don't know what you mean by 'betting outside their bankroll'.

By betting too much and turning a positive expectation bet into a long term losing proposition I mean they bet more than a full kelly criterion percentage.

There is no way to say for sure if trading out is the best option as it is completely down to each individuals betting history and to make a fair statement you would need to analyse at least a thousand of their bets to get a reliable sample size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Come on boys lets get this thread back on track

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Bertser wrote: »
    I've gone for Serbia, Netherlands, Croatia, Argentina and Belgium tonight, fiver returns just over €36.

Knew it should've been Israel instead of Argentina :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement