Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cream - shake to whip ?

Options
  • 19-01-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I saw someone with a thing that makes whipped cream recently. It was a plastic container the shape of a cocktail maker - and he put cream in and then shook it for a while and it made whipped cream really well and quickly...

Any ideas where I can get one ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Tupperware have one

Google Tupperware quick shake container

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

I don't know where to get one in a physical shop, but Amazon have some options.

I've used one before - they use cartridges of gas and you need to be a bit careful changing the cartridges because of the pressure. You also have to be careful not to shake it too often or the cream will thicken too much (no idea why!). It tends to splutter as you come towards the end of the cream too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

*follows thread*
    I've been looking out for one of these for a good while now but haven't seen them in the shops.

The N2O ones seem a bit expensive just to whip a bit of cream now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Apparently you can use them to blow up balloons too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I've used one before - they use cartridges of gas and you need to be a bit careful changing the cartridges because of the pressure.

No. They don't use gas ! Just a shaker :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    Tupperware have one

Google Tupperware quick shake container

Found it on their web site - thanks. Do they not have any retail presence here in Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Piliger wrote: »

Found it on their web site - thanks. Do they not have any retail presence here in Dublin ?

I'm in cork so have not a clue about Dublin
    I've seldom seen one have their reps having a pop up shop in walkway of shopping centre s
    Best bet I'd say is to contact rep from website and purchase that way
    They ll want you to host a Tupperware night so be strong If you don't want to :)
    They don't have retail shop as far as I know

Lisha wrote: »
    I'm in cork so have not a clue about Dublin
    I've seldom seen one have their reps having a pop up shop in walkway of shopping centre s
    Best bet I'd say is to contact rep from website and purchase that way
    They ll want you to host a Tupperware night so be strong If you don't want to :)
    They don't have retail shop as far as I know

Thanks for that. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Why not just use a cocktail shaker? Its exactly the same! My mother has one of the Tupperware ones, it's as old as the hills now, and apart from it being plastic its no different. The only thing you would need to worry about is the lid separating from the body of the shaker-having said that, if you can shake a cocktail without spilling, you should be able to shake some cream!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Tupperware shaker has a spoked wheel that sits at the top. I'd imagine that it helps with the shaking. I don't know where you can get them nowadays, but they really do work. Great things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

dudara wrote: »
    The Tupperware shaker has a spoked wheel that sits at the top. I'd imagine that it helps with the shaking. I don't know where you can get them nowadays, but they really do work. Great things
    We lost that in a house move a good ten years ago and it doesn't make a difference!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

any bottle at all will work.

I've whipped cream in the bottle it came in when I needed whipped cream but friends gaff didn't have a whisk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Teaspoon in a cocktail shaker, just shake vigerously

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Any container at all will work as long as the lid is secure on it. It's an especially great way of whipping just a little bit of cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Teaspoon in a cocktail shaker, just shake vigerously

Just going to say that. Works a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If anybody is looking for the gas type I used these, but it was years ago, they were the cheapest then. Might be better options now.

http://www.creamright.co.uk/

You can froth up milk in a bottle by shaking it, for milk based coffee drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I have the tupperware one, I never knew that was what it was for.

If you can't find one, it's just the same as any protein shaker I've ever seen. Should be easy enough to get one in Elvery's, Holland and Barrett or your local gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Very handy to mix eggs for omlett.
    Also making milkshakes.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I have the tupperware one, I never knew that was what it was for.

If you can't find one, it's just the same as any protein shaker I've ever seen. Should be easy enough to get one in Elvery's, Holland and Barrett or your local gym.

Really ? do the protein shakers have any 'obstruction' inside to increase the 'whipping' action ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Really ? do the protein shakers have any 'obstruction' inside to increase the 'whipping' action ?

AFAIK. I never really use them but I keep getting free ones at races. Will see what I can find at home later.

EDIT: These ones seem to use more of a strainer type obstruction, the Tupperware one is like 4 propeller blades.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lucozade-Sport-750-Shaker-Bottle/dp/B0029Z9T0Q/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_2
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SMARTSHAKE-Protein-Shaker-Gold-Smoke/dp/B005452UE0/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They have a wheel at the top. They're all the same as far as I can see. I was robbed when I bought one for Lipotrim, thought they were a specific thing. Now that I've found anmotherpurpose for it, the damned thing is gone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Theres a Tupperware pop up stall in Nutgrove Shopping centre at the moment and they have them. I have one and they're very good, I like to think I'm burning off some of the cream calories when whipping it. Very handy for storage. I think they're around €11.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

My grandmother used to have one (probably still does!) and I used to love using it as a kid. :)

It was just like one of those protein shakers that someone else mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

BaZmO* wrote: »
    My grandmother used to have one (probably still does!) and I used to love using it as a kid. :)

It was just like one of those protein shakers that someone else mentioned.
    My granny had one too, she'd get my Dad or one of my uncles to shake it, the day I became a man is the day I was asked to shake the cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Theres a Tupperware pop up stall in Nutgrove Shopping centre at the moment and they have them. I have one and they're very good, I like to think I'm burning off some of the cream calories when whipping it. Very handy for storage. I think they're around €11.00.

was just going to say that - the pop up's normally in Nutgrove for around 2 weeks once or twice a year I got mine there about 6 years ago - it's great!

Very difficult for me to get to Nutgrove - so I went in to Holland and Barrett and got one of their protein shakers ..... fingers crossed I'll test it soon :-)

Thanks for all the help guys !

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Be cautious when whipping cream in a shaker. You don't get the ongoing feedback you do with normal whipping techniques, and it's all too easy to end up with butter. Stop often and check consistency, especially once it starts to thicken.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Be cautious when whipping cream in a shaker. You don't get the ongoing feedback you do with normal whipping techniques, and it's all too easy to end up with butter. Stop often and check consistency, especially once it starts to thicken.

Will do. Considering the amount of whisking needed to whip cream .. I find it amazing that this kind of shaker can do it so quickly and relatively easily

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Will do. Considering the amount of whisking needed to whip cream .. I find it amazing that this kind of shaker can do it so quickly and relatively easily

Parents used one for 30 years. I have it now and it's still going strong. Just make sure you keep your finger on the lid- it will help prevent the cream going all over your kitchen:D

Advertisement