Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy's Bars -Calisthenics Bodyweight Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 michael_r

Great thread. I've recently returned home to Dublin after traveling around South America. I saw so many body weight parks over there, pity Ireland doesn't have as many! Is there none on the Northside, specifically around the Howth, Sutton, Raheny area?

Hopefully they'll at least install some equipment in Phoenix Park soon. I train there with my running club there and will be moving back to the city centre soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Hope to see plenty of people tomorrow at 9:00 in Ballyfermot. Lots of fun things planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Thought you guys would like this :)
    Some ideas for your sessions. Garbage bag curls for instance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

are there any plans to install some of these on the north side of dublin or are there some already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

MeIsGod wrote: »
    are there any plans to install some of these on the north side of dublin or are there some already?

There's none that I know of. I've been in touch with the company that installs them and its down to county councils and money where equipment gets installed. I've also been in contact with OPW trying to get them installed in the Phoenix Park. Myself and Ferike1 have done a proposal and are waiting to meet with them. What's annoying is they rang me after my initial contact and asked us to make a proposal and contact them when we're available to meet. I've been ringing them weekly ever since and the receptionist just takes my message and passes it on. We're on first name basis at this stage. I suppose the ball is in their court n we just have to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Father Collins Park in Donameade/Clongriffen has workout stations around the track.

971531_10151710394944138_91767201_n.jpg
    The approximately 54 acres (or 26 hectares) encompasses some natural woodland; for sports, a 1.5 km peripheral running/cycling track, six playing pitches and six fitness stations; for leisure, a promenade, a concert amphitheatre and picnic areas with outdoor chess/draughts boards; and for activity, two playgrounds and a skate-park.

Its not amazing but its a start

Just an update on the OPW progress. I finally go to speak to the mystery man who was never around anytime I rang. After him originally asking us to make a proposal he now tells me he is no longer in charge of this area. The good news is I've gotten the contact details of the superintendent who has the authorization to give the go ahead to install equipment. So I'm going to chase her down by email and phone until she agrees to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Hey, are you guys training this Saturday? My friend and I would love to swing by (no pun intended :D) and get some tips on muscle up/front lever technique. If so, what time?

Hey, are you guys training this Saturday? My friend and I would love to swing by (no pun intended :D) and get some tips on muscle up/front lever technique. If so, what time?

Yeah we'll be there this Saturday from 9 o'clock. 9 to 10 is a structured class and 10 to 11/half 11 depending on numbers/weather is free style training working on whatever people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Ok, we'll probably come around at 10-ish then, if it's not raining

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

michael_r wrote: »
    Great thread. I've recently returned home to Dublin after traveling around South America. I saw so many body weight parks over there, pity Ireland doesn't have as many! Is there none on the Northside, specifically around the Howth, Sutton, Raheny area?

Hopefully they'll at least install some equipment in Phoenix Park soon. I train there with my running club there and will be moving back to the city centre soon.
    MeIsGod wrote: »

malahide castle has a circuit plenty of bars

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elias0815

Has anybody been to those bars in malahide? Are they any good?
    Maybe we could have a training session there?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

elias0815 wrote: »

Malahide is a circuit.. The bars are very thick and quite high especially the massive monkey bars.. Some of the stations are kinda broken..but you can go and judge by yourself...
    I honestly did not like them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elias0815

Will give it a try tomorrow; will let you know what i think. Would love to have a crew to train with in the north side. Reached some sort of a plateau and cant seem to push myself through it. Im doing the convict conditioning; only upper body (not the best i know) and am stuck with step 8 resp. 7 and cant break through. I think training with some other people would really get me further.
    If anybody would be interested to do something in the north let me know. thanks.

Will give it a try tomorrow; will let you know what i think. Would love to have a crew to train with in the north side. Reached some sort of a plateau and cant seem to push myself through it. Im doing the convict conditioning; only upper body (not the best i know) and am stuck with step 8 resp. 7 and cant break through. I think training with some other people would really get me further.
    If anybody would be interested to do something in the north let me know. thanks.

Take some Picts of the bars in Malahide if you can and post them up. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

It's mainly just logs arranged for doing elevated push ups, or lunges, or balancing et cetera. There is a pull up bars station, with 3 heights. Further on from that is a monkey bars section which is pretty good, further from that is a set of paralell bars which are ****e, they are too far apart IMO. Rest of the trail is just more logs, one decent log wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

discus wrote: »
    It's mainly just logs arranged for doing elevated push ups, or lunges, or balancing et cetera. There is a pull up bars station, with 3 heights. Further on from that is a monkey bars section which is pretty good, further from that is a set of paralell bars which are ****e, they are too far apart IMO. Rest of the trail is just more logs, one decent log wall.
    the people who put these things up really need to consult some trainers first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

They were installed when Circuit training was the latest fad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pistolero07

Hi to all,
    I am a student on Griffith College and live on the campus as well. I am interested in calisthenics and am seeking for an advice if there is a good park or something similar I can train somewhere in Dublin 8, more precisely not too far from South Circular Road. Thank you!

Hi to all,
    I am a student on Griffith College and live on the campus as well. I am interested in calisthenics and am seeking for an advice if there is a good park or something similar I can train somewhere in Dublin 8, more precisely not too far from South Circular Road. Thank you!

Don't know of any parks in that area but AM fitness is not too far away in Terenure. The 6:30am class is calisthenics based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 pistolero07

Ant11 wrote: »
    Don't know of any parks in that area but AM fitness is not too far away in Terenure. The 6:30am class is calisthenics based.

Appreciate it, thank you.

Appreciate it, thank you.
    anyone here going to see Ido Portal?

Transform wrote: »
    anyone here going to see Ido Portal?

Myself and Ferike1 are going and a few other lads I know. You?

Ant11 wrote: »
    Myself and Ferike1 are going and a few other lads I know. You?
    thinking about it but €500 is a little on the expensive side along with other courses i have lined up in the coming weeks and next year.

Transform wrote: »
    thinking about it but €500 is a little on the expensive side along with other courses i have lined up in the coming weeks and next year.

Know how ya feel. 500 was a lot to fork out all at once. I heard Steve Atlas is coming over in March too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Tulking

Hey I live in Lucan and was wondering if there was a group that meet in Catherines Park or where would be the nearest group to lucan and when do you meet....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Been following this thread with interest for a long time and on a recent trip back home i saw something which might appeal to some of the guys here.

A bodyweight park on the barry island seafront. (Think Cardiff's answer to Bray, as seen on Gavin and Stacy)
    With a nice sea view and what looked like some top quality equipment, numerous stations and a 1 on 1 b.ball court made me a little jealous if I'm honest.
    https://www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/en/enjoying/leisure_and_activities/adizone_at_barry_island/adizone_at_barry_island.aspx

Thought you guys might like the look of it.

When i saw it I almost missed it completely. It is built at the end of a row of cafés and sunken below street level. Takes up space of about 5/6 parking spaces. The sort of plot of land that every city has unused. Dublin in spades. Would love to see some of the city center derelict space used for something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

looks like the same zero resistance crap they've installed in a lot of the parks here just been branded with and adidas logo, i've only ever seen kids messing on the Marley park equipment

Tulking wrote: »
    Hey I live in Lucan and was wondering if there was a group that meet in Catherines Park or where would be the nearest group to lucan and when do you meet....

Checked out Catherines Park once but there was only a triple pull up bar station in the middle of nowhere in the park, very poor location and an effort to get to.

We were training regularly before Christmas on Saturdays in Ballyfermot on the Kylemore Road, which is only down the road from Lucan, good equipment and close to the city centre too. Unfortunately we haven't trained there in a while as the weather has been crap and numbers have dropped. I've mentioned a few posts up that some of us still meet in Terenure on Saturday mornings (6:30am to 9am). Ferike1 also does some Paddy Bars training in Raw at 9am on Saturdays too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

When will this be starting up again in Ballyfermot?

Advertisement