Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy's Bars -Calisthenics Bodyweight Training

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Depending on the numbers really and the weather. The numbers dropped substantially over the winter to the extent there was only one or two of us there and that was zero craic so we moved it to Raw, if we see interest going up during Spring/Summer, it will start back up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

When will this be starting up again in Ballyfermot?

Not too sure Stench but I'll have a word with a few of the old regulars and see if we can organise something. Would be nice to get back training outdoors again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Anyone know of anywhere in the northside with a decent set of bars to get something like this going? Would love to get into a bit of outdoor training as the weather hopefully begins to improve!

Also having someone there who knows what there doing would obviously be a big plus too! :)

Anyone know of anywhere in the northside with a decent set of bars to get something like this going? Would love to get into a bit of outdoor training as the weather hopefully begins to improve!

Also having someone there who knows what there doing would obviously be a big plus too! :)

Malahide is the only one I know of but haven't seen it myself. I'm northside too but Ballyfermot would be still the nearest place to me. The equipment there is the best I've seen/used and it's the closest location to the city centre. It's less than 5 minutes from Heuston station by car. The ground around the bars can often be dirty with cans etc but once you kick it out of the way it's a grand spot to train and the bars are always empty. Such a waste sitting there. Would look a lot better in my back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 GuyFawkes

I'm fat (not massively or anything) and out of shape so starting some cardio, but would love to meet it up if it starts again.

I can do a whopping one pull up so at least I'll bring comedy value. :pac:

• Advertisement

Ant11 wrote: »
    Malahide is the only one I know of but haven't seen it myself. I'm northside too but Ballyfermot would be still the nearest place to me. The equipment there is the best I've seen/used and it's the closest location to the city centre. It's less than 5 minutes from Heuston station by car. The ground around the bars can often be dirty with cans etc but once you kick it out of the way it's a grand spot to train and the bars are always empty. Such a waste sitting there. Would look a lot better in my back garden.

I've just found out there are pullup bars etc in Fr Collins Park in Clongriffen. Myself and my friend are going to meet up next Wednesday and do a bit. I've been reading that convict conditioning book and it has a few routines to begin with and plenty of progressions so that should keep us going for a while! If anyone else wants to come along feel free :)
    GuyFawkes wrote: »
    I'm fat (not massively or anything) and out of shape so starting some cardio, but would love to meet it up if it starts again.

I can do a whopping one pull up so at least I'll bring comedy value. :pac:

Everyone had to start somewhere chief, fair play for wanting to get stuck in!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As an FYI, here's the list of list of parks where you can do bodyweight stuff, as compiled by Ant.

I've just found out there are pullup bars etc in Fr Collins Park in Clongriffen. Myself and my friend are going to meet up next Wednesday and do a bit.

I'd be definitely on for meeting up...

I'd be definitely on for meeting up...

Come along, more then welcome! Neither of really know what we're doing to be honest! I do a lot of weight training but calisthenics is all quite new to me and my friend does more endurance stuff (triathlon type training) but between us we should be able to put something together :)

Come along, more then welcome! Neither of really know what we're doing to be honest! I do a lot of weight training but calisthenics is all quite new to me and my friend does more endurance stuff (triathlon type training) but between us we should be able to put something together :)

Cool. Sure if nothing (but it will be a lot more) it'll be a bit of craic.

I did weights for a while a few years ago and last year, but have let myself go! Got bored of training alone.

• Advertisement

Cool. Sure if nothing (but it will be a lot more) it'll be a bit of craic.

I did weights for a while a few years ago and last year, but have let myself go! Got bored of training alone.

Ok well i'll keep you posted. I'll PM you my number and that way we can sort out a time etc but for now the plan is next Wednesday evening! Also anyone else feel free to come along too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 makoluck

Hi Lads,

Do you know if there is a calisthenic group around Dun Laoghaire/Sallynoggin or at least some place with bars?
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

makoluck wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Do you know if there is a calisthenic group around Dun Laoghaire/Sallynoggin or at least some place with bars?
    Thank you!

There's a good set up in Cabinteely park, also the seafront in Sandymount has some excellent equipment alongside the usual zero resistance type stepper ****e but the dip bars are excellent!

Thank you!
    Cabinteely is not so far from me, but I'm new in calisthenics so the best option is to join to experienced group/people.
    Lads, do you know if there is any training group in Cabinteely that I could join?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Do these group training sessions still take place? Would be interested in going if they are

coach22 wrote: »
    Do these group training sessions still take place? Would be interested in going if they are

Outdoor sessions no, as the interest dropped.

9:30 on Saturdays I think Ferike1 still does calisthenics training in Raw Conditioning on South Richmond street. 10er into the gym payg. He posts here on boards so I'm sure he will clarify once he sees this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

makoluck wrote: »
    Lads, do you know if there is any training group in Cabinteely that I could join?
    I have not been there in a while but did have seen at least 3 different groups doing stuff before. On had rings up on a tree. The stuff in cabinteely is placed far away from each other, very poor thinking, its like they were making a circuit for people to run around the park and use it, I do see the odd person doing this.

Here is at least one
    http://www.bootcampireland.com/index.php/component/mtree/dublin/cabinteely-park

They might not use equipment at all though, I see some just on the greens running about.

In the park there are notice boards, more info might be on them -though I think organized training and/or paid classes are not allowed in some parks.

Thank rubadub!
    It looks like a fitness class which I'm not looking for. I use the boxing class right now and that's more less enough.
    I'm thinking about street workout but I guess I can start doing it for myself. There are plenty of sites and movies on youtube for people who wants to start.
    I will check the notice board as well! Thank you again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Ant11 wrote: »
    Outdoor sessions no, as the interest dropped.

9:30 on Saturdays I think Ferike1 still does calisthenics training in Raw Conditioning on South Richmond street. 10er into the gym payg. He posts here on boards so I'm sure he will clarify once he sees this.

Correct. 9:30 on Saturdays! I will be away for two weeks at the start of Sept but its on for August!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Oee

Anyone have a decent routine for a single pull-up bar and dip bars. Been trying to get into this for the last while but it's hard to get a good starter routine with just the pull up bar and dip bar, after 3 sets on the dip/pullup it's over... finding progression to muscle ups tough enough, guess it's all about getting the form and momentum down.

Also hard to gauge overtraining with this, anyone got some tips on how many times a week/month while accounting for other exercise too... low rep/heavy weight gym work, cycling/running/swimming and yoga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

Oee wrote: »
    Anyone have a decent routine for a single pull-up bar and dip bars. Been trying to get into this for the last while but it's hard to get a good starter routine with just the pull up bar and dip bar, after 3 sets on the dip/pullup it's over... finding progression to muscle ups tough enough, guess it's all about getting the form and momentum down.

Also hard to gauge overtraining with this, anyone got some tips on how many times a week/month while accounting for other exercise too... low rep/heavy weight gym work, cycling/running/swimming and yoga.

Vary the rep range using a weight belt, superset exercises, reduce rest times, tempo etc lots of things you can try

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Oee

Found this guy, not sure if he has been mentioned, his 5x5 workouts on youtube are pretty good.

Al Kavaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

Street Workout World Cup :

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Thud wrote: »

Savage stuff. The two lads at 1:59 is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Blackthorn Fight School

Are the outdoor sessions cancelled now? if so is anyone interested in doing some?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭czrewor

I know the outdoor sessions not on in Ballyfermot until it picks up until the summer time but I'm gonna try and start training there until then, I'm complete beginner, can't do pullups or anything but hopefully will be decent before the group starts up again In the summertime :)

Trevor

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CoachWho

Can Anyone give me a rough idea of how big Calisthenics is in Dublin?
     I am trying to find any coaches or trainers out there that are willing to talk to me about this underground fitness, comprised of a select few committed guys and girls. 
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Lots of people and coaches doing it now however due to the lack to decent outdoor gyms in Dublin there is not that many out there. Happy to talk to you about it or recommend coaches who might be near you.

Advertisement