Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with immersion heater

Options
  • 19-01-2013 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Looks like we have something wrong with our immersion heater. When on for a few minutes, it trips the circuit breaker. Firstly should I call an electrician or a plumber (I'm such a noob)? Leaning towards electrician but just wanna be sure!

And does this sound like an easy job? How much would it cost (I know it's tough to diagnose over the internet but worth getting a ballpark figure!)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

c_man wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Looks like we have something wrong with our immersion heater. When on for a few minutes, it trips the circuit breaker. Firstly should I call an electrician or a plumber (I'm such a noob)? Leaning towards electrician but just wanna be sure!

And does this sound like an easy job? How much would it cost (I know it's tough to diagnose over the internet but worth getting a ballpark figure!)

Thanks

most electricians can replace an immersion for you
    easy enough job if all goes well
    nightmare if it doesnt though as sometimes the cylinder can cract when taking old one out or putting new one in
    if i have any doubt i always point out my reservations to the client and get a plumber in (gone wrong too many times,im getting too old for the grief;))
    someone quoted a price sometime back if you search(€100sh)
    come back with an update if you get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

OP,
    Since it is an electrical fault you should call an electrician to confirm the cause. The solution maybe to replace the element but you need to be sure it is that which needs replacing and not some other device in the circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Shouldn't be anything else on the circuit,more then likely the element needs to be replaced,I agree with meercat,I've changed enough of them in my time and to be honest I find them to much hassle these days,any plumber worth his salt will be able to replace and connect the new element for you,I'd say 100 to 120 euro!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i don't think i'd bother with a callout if i expect the heater needs to be replaced-unless it's a friend/family

last time i didn't get paid for diagnosis

too risky to attempt replacement for a spark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    i don't think i'd bother with a callout if i expect the heater needs to be replaced-unless it's a friend/family

last time i didn't get paid for diagnosis

too risky to attempt replacement for a spark

I still do them the odd time. I did once, end up replacing the entire cylinder, it was a bigger job with two of us replacing the entire gun barrel piping for the rads with qualpex in a house anyway, (a break from electrical:)), so was not as bad as just having to change the immersion element and the cylinder fails, as we were adding in zone valves and alterations at the cylinder anyway, and the cylinder didnt look great.

And another time, when I was an apprentice, another cylinder thread split, the family were plumbers themselves luckily enough, as I wouldnt have been doing anything more than shower plumbing back then.

At that time as well, I used to cut out flanges the odd time for cylinders that had no immersion in them. That was nice and handy, actually seen the tool I have for it, somewhere a few weeks ago in the house. 15 years ago was the last time did one of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement