Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem

Options
  • 19-01-2013 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

just joined UPC with 50MBS of download speed when connected directly to their cisco EPC 3925 but the wireless varies between 1mbs to 34 Mbs. is thereanything I can do to get consistent wireless service accross the house?If I bought a Belkini router N300 would I be able to use that with NPC Cicso 3925? and if so would it improve the the wireless connectivity throughout the house? Any held or advice welcome. Tanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

This thread is maybe what your looking for: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056853356

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The performance of wifi equipment can be very hard to predict as it tends to vary in different situations. There are a number of things you could try to improve your wifi performance.

Firstly the Cisco 3925 isn't noted generally for its wifi performance - just have a look in the talk to UPC forum for example.

Firstly you could try and change the location of the router - I suspect a lot of the UPC routers find themselves under televisions simply because of the cable socket locatons.

Putting the Cisco into bridge mode and adding a third party wifi router may help but remember if you are using N standard equipment all the wireless cards in the network must be N standard to get the benefits of that standard.

A friend of mine recently got in UPC and improved the wifi performance dramatically by adding a third party router and locating it relatively high up in the room clear of obstacles (whereas the UPC installers had assured him that under the tv in a corner was fine!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Spannard40

Thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Spannard40

Any comments on buying a Belkini Router aand replacing the Cisso 3935 router from NPC. Will this work? Can I get the coding from the CISCO 3925 router and prgram the Belkini router N300 to work with UPC service? The Router is expensive but if it improved the wireless performance in the house I would switch? Ideas and thoughts if this would work? Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You cannot replace UPC's equipment but you can put the Cisco into bridge mode turn off the wifi and use a third party router with it.

Belkin is not the most popular of makes here on boards by the way!

• Advertisement
Advertisement