Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp, mouldy smell on wood after being in storage

Options
  • 19-01-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, not sure if I'm in the right forum but I have a problem with some things I had in storage for a few years.

In particular I have a beautiful antique wooden spice holder which now stinks of damp/mould. I have tried washing it and drying it out thoroughly but the smell has not reduced at all. Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of the smell without ruining the wood. This rack is really unique and irreplaceable so I would love to be able to use it again. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vikelt

Thanks for the tip. The main issue I have is that it is small and circular with 8 grooves cut into it for the spice jars so it might be difficult to follow the tips on that site but I'll try putting it into something and pouring the coffee and baking soda over it?!?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Vikelt wrote: »
    Hi, not sure if I'm in the right forum but I have a problem with some things I had in storage for a few years.

In particular I have a beautiful antique wooden spice holder which now stinks of damp/mould. I have tried washing it and drying it out thoroughly but the smell has not reduced at all. Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of the smell without ruining the wood. This rack is really unique and irreplaceable so I would love to be able to use it again. Thanks in advance
    The smell will go, in time.

The method listed above is not without its risks. Wetting and drying timber can cause warping and failure of joints.

If it's a cherished piece, I wouldn't risk it. I'd put up with the whiff, knowing it will dissipate once the piece has been in a dry place for a while.

Advertisement