Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Protector sought - Adult

Options
  • 19-01-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey all,

I need to get a back protector. I've just got back into riding after 10 years away from it.
    Never used one of these before, but I hoped to get a second hand one (all advice appreciated however) as funds are a little limited.
    I'm 5ft 8in, size 12 in regular clothes

PM or reply here if you can help at all! :)

Thanks!
    Lily

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Hi Lily White just got one myself after a bad fall, which i was very lucky not to break anything in. Anyhow i got a champion one cant remember the exact cost of the top of my head but i think it may have been around the €120 mark. What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

<snip>

Please use adverts.ie to advertise items for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

I wouldn't really buy one second hand as their protection can detioriate over time and you don't know if someone has fallen wearing it. It is the one thing I'd buy new along with riding hat. You also need to get fitted for it properly to make sure it gives the best protection.

I got a racesafe one for €150 but I am kinda petite and a kids xl fit me perfectly out of several makes and sizes I tried on.

You could always go get fitted for one somewhere decide hat is best for you then look online to see if you can get it cheaper somewhere but with postage etc might work out the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lily_white08

Hey all,

JillyQ I'm in Dublin 3, sorry to hear about the fall! Have had lots of sneers from my old riding pals for being so adamant on getting one...I like myself intact though!
    ilovemarmite you have a point there. I did a little searching and found this place in Newry http://www.moorhillsaddlery.com/
    They have this one http://www.moorhillsaddlery.com/products/harryhall-adult-body-protector.html listed for HALF of the price most places down here are selling it for. Any opinions??
    Got fairly decent reviews on Amazon

Thanks! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Lily I learnt my lesson the hard way, and wouldnt wish it on anyone else. A night in A & E thought me my lesson. The most freighting thing is that there are still parts of that evening that i dont remember. So the right protection for me is now absolutely necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I definitely wouldn't buy a second hand back protector tbh, especially if you don't know the person who was selling it to you. I wouldn't mind if it was someone at your yard who you knew took care of it, and hadn't had it damaged.

But realistically you should be buying one new. Racesafe are definitely great back protectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

It's funny. I used not to use one but my wife started to insist in it, especially outside, so I knew it was the back protector or nothing......

Occasionally I'll forget to bring it and I feel 'naked' or vulnerable without it. Just takes a bit of getting used to wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I wore one from the age of 10 until 14/15 then i started riding racing ponies and decided i wanted to be the big man by not wearing one, often riding breakers without even a hat... Then aged 18 i was riding a horse for my father at home... to cut a long story short, ended up in a&e with a broken vertebrae and 8 weeks off work... still in regular bad pain now. I have a little boy now who will be wearing a back protector , even if i have to superglue it to his back!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Hey all,

JillyQ I'm in Dublin 3, sorry to hear about the fall! Have had lots of sneers from my old riding pals for being so adamant on getting one...I like myself intact though!

Let them on its all fun and games until they crease themselves. I knew someone who had the same mentality until they broke their back and were laid up for months and another who needlessly was in pain and a brace for weeks having fallen off and landing on a pole and damaging vertabrea - in the second case a back protector would have really reduced the injury I reckon.

Anyway don;t get a second hand one as you honestly don't know what its been through. Sign up to newsletters for places like TRI as they in sales may often have 10-20% off the price which is a help. Also websites like www.equestrianclearance.com are good if you know yoursize.

As its your first time buying one I would go somewhere reputable that stocks a range and that has a staff member trained on how to fit back protectors that way you will be able to ensure what you buy fits you properly. Somewhere like TRI / Berneys / Old Mill Saddlery etc

Advertisement