Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on the Second Chance Grant

Options
  • 19-01-2013 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Ok Ive been looking at the Citizens Info site about this, just wondering has anyone any first hand experience with it.
    The thing is Ive started College twice already, I did one year in GMIT Galway then 2 years in GMIT Castlebar on a different course.
    I know you have to be out of education for 5 years, which I will be in 2014, I am accepted in NUIG Arts programme and plan on defering it till then, just want to make sure my understanding of it is, is that eligible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

Hi i've jst been through the whole process, it took ages but finally worked out (the new grant system is a night mare) I was refused but was able to appeal based on the second chance

Once it has been exactly 5years or more since you were last registered in full time education and you're doing a qualification that you haven't achieved or higher you're eligable

Just be prepared for the stress of the appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    Hi i've jst been through the whole process, it took ages but finally worked out (the new grant system is a night mare) I was refused but was able to appeal based on the second chance

Once it has been exactly 5years or more since you were last registered in full time education and you're doing a qualification that you haven't achieved or higher you're eligable

Just be prepared for the stress of the appeal

I was enquiring about getting a grant for starting back in full time education in September. I was told the grant is means tested, Im 32, live at home with my parents, they both work. I was told I wouldnt be entitled to a grand. has anyone got similar experience to mine? Or how does it actually work

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bri007 wrote: »
    I was enquiring about getting a grant for starting back in full time education in September. I was told the grant is means tested, Im 32, live at home with my parents, they both work. I was told I wouldnt be entitled to a grand. has anyone got similar experience to mine? Or how does it actually work

You can apply for a grant. Because you live at home you would be assessed on your parents income.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement