Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil like substance silage

• 20-01-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I have noticed a black watery run of coming from the rack after the silage gets wet in the rain. What would this be. It looks oil like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have noticed a black watery run of coming from the rack after the silage gets wet in the rain. What would this be. It looks oil like.

The only thing running from the pit should be effluent. It definitely should not be oil. Try pouring water on it to see if it washes it away. It should not rainbow like oil does. The plastic cover is made from oil. I wonder could it be from that?

If its coming from under the cover every time it rains then there is something definitely wrong and you are looking at rotten silage where water is getting at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭truebloodfan

It's in a barrier in a field for the cows. It was originally bagged but we take the bag of it and put the barrier over it. It doesn't look rotten it seems perfect and the cows seem to like it judging by how quickly they go through it. It's just when it rains this happens. Bit of a mystery to us

It's in a barrier in a field for the cows. It was originally bagged but we take the bag of it and put the barrier over it. It doesn't look rotten it seems perfect and the cows seem to like it judging by how quickly they go through it. It's just when it rains this happens. Bit of a mystery to us

Its black effluent. Bet is smells bad? Was the grass wet when baled?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭truebloodfan

Not as far as I know. We bought a few bags of a neighbour. There the ones we were using. But he was baling same time as us so it should have been dry. Is this stuff bad for cows.

Is this stuff bad for cows.

Not at all. As long as there's no fungus on it, it is fine!

• Advertisement
Advertisement