Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending summer in Germany

• 20-01-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm currently in 5th year, and was thinking about spending some time in Germany over the summer, learning the language.
    What would be the best way to go about this? I wouldn't really like to do an exchange, a few of mates who've been on them have had bad experiences on them.
    So what other options are available?
    I'd really like to improve on my German before the leaving cert.
    Also what costs would be involved?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I can't really help you with regards to your questions, but it's definetely a great idea. My dad told me that before the L.C I should go for a week or two to Germany and actually speak the language because learning it, and actually using it are 2 completely different things, and it will help me a lot. Altough it may be a bit too late for that now.

I think when choosing a region you should find out about their accents and go where they speak most clearly.

Good luck with it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I did a 4 week exchange in 4th year and my german was so weak that i ended up using German most of the time. Plus the german you learn in School is so different to that of German teens. But saying that the exchange brought me from dreadful to ok. I got a C2 in the LC

That was 3 years ago and Im repeating my LC in a different school and my german teacher is amazing and I have learnt german grammar which i never knew but has made letter writing etc so much easier. The german exam is weird as you use certain phases and sentences structures and your exams goes from a C standard to an A1. Buy 501 German verbs and watch ARD( German news station on youtube) and your german will improve so much rapidly.

Plus at this stage its probably too late to do an exam anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DonallFitz

Since you're only in 5th year, try attending one of ELC's (European Language Colleges) German courses. Its like going to irish college except its in German! I went for the past two years and it improved my level of German, making me feel practically fluent!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 HandsomeJonny

Go to Germany for the summer. It's a great idea. I live in Munich. You can get a language course for a month from the volkshochschule for around 200€ http://www.mvhs.de/index.php?StoryID=1965&show=Bereich&BereichID=105574&SemesterID=2. all you'D need to find then is accomodation. Very cheap really. You'd learn a lot if you spoke in German to people.

Advertisement