Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking Speed Of Your Line

• 20-01-2013 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

What the title says really. Thinking of getting Sky Broadband and don't want to pay than what I can get on my line. So is there any webstite or anywhere I can check the speed of the line?

Apologies if this should be in another thread, just link me to it and this delete this thread. I was advised to create this thread.

Cheers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Sky charge you the same price no matter what your line can handle.

Example:

1 mb line = €17.50 (LLU) or €27.50 (non-LLU)
    2 mb line = €17.50 (LLU) or €27.50 (non-LLU)
    5 mb line = €17.50 (LLU) or €27.50 (non-LLU)
    10 mb line = €17.50 (LLU) or €27.50 (non-LLU)
    15 mb line = €17.50 (LLU) or €27.50 (non-LLU)
    24 mb line = €17.50 (LLU) or €27.50 (non-LLU)

I'm on a 12 mb line with eircom, but I'm switching to Sky in a few weeks after I rang them a few days ago. I should save around €40 a month and my speed may improve as Sky probably use better technology. I've read a few success stories about how peoples' speed improved when switching to Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Example:

I'm on a 12 mb line with eircom, but I'm switching to Sky in a few weeks after I rang them a few days ago. I should save around €40 a month and my speed may improve as Sky probably use better technology. I've read a few success stories about how peoples' speed improved when switching to Sky.
    Ummmmm you will connected to the same exchange so nothing will change...

Ummmmm you will connected to the same exchange so nothing will change...

Yes, but you're not subscribing to a company that wants to rape its customers of every cent they have.

Read through the Sky threads on here, people have said their speeds are faster when they switched over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

colm_mcm wrote: »

Can you explain to me why that line checker says my line quality 21.33MB, but Eircom says i can only get 7 meg with my line.

I live very close to my exchange i do get a decent speed alright. 6.5mb

Can you explain to me why that line checker says my line quality 21.33MB, but Eircom says i can only get 7 meg with my line.

I live very close to my exchange i do get a decent speed alright. 6.5mb

When I rang Sky earlier this week, he ran a test and told my what speed my line was capable of handling. I get 12 mb with eircom, but Sky said my line can handle 15 mb.

I reckon you just ring them and ask them. It's all the same price no matter what speed you're getting - they only do four packages on DSL.

https://interest.sky.com/broadband-talk/

All are the same speeds, just the bottom two have download caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Wotty

If you line speed is slow, you could try increasing the size of your sky satallite dish.

That would give you a stronger signal and it may connect to one of the newer sky satallites that sky have launched recently.

I don't think a new satallite dish is too expensive and if it worked it could be a very cost effective way of increasing speed. I don't think sky would mind but it might be worth checking with them just to make sure they don't mind. I don't think they will because they charge the same for a range of speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Wotty wrote: »
    If you line speed is slow, you could try increasing the size of your sky satallite dish.

That would give you a stronger signal and it may connect to one of the newer sky satallites that sky have launched recently.

I don't think a new satallite dish is too expensive and if it worked it could be a very cost effective way of increasing speed. I don't think sky would mind but it might be worth checking with them just to make sure they don't mind. I don't think they will because they charge the same for a range of speeds.

How does getting a bigger sky dish get me a faster speed with sky broadband through my phoneline ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Owryan wrote: »

How does getting a bigger sky dish get me a faster speed with sky broadband through my phoneline ?
    Something to do with the flux capacitor :)

• Advertisement

21m6khl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Something to do with the flux capacitor :)

FWIW my question wasnt serious

Owryan wrote: »

FWIW my question wasnt serious
    I knew that Owryan :)
    Just couldnt believe wottys advice :D

I knew that Owryan :)
    Just couldnt believe wottys advice :D

According to his understanding: the bigger the satellite, the faster your broadband. If I install the International Space Station on my roof, will that get me a 1 GB connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yes, but you're not subscribing to a company that wants to rape its customers of every cent they have.

Read through the Sky threads on here, people have said their speeds are faster when they switched over.

So Sky aren't a shower of bastards like Eircom, hmmm, I disagree, they're a bigger shower of bastards

According to his understanding: the bigger the satellite, the faster your broadband. If I install the International Space Station on my roof, will that get me a 1 GB connection?
    Yes thats right.

You might get 2gb with that type of satellite Harry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭[Steve]

Example:

I highly doubt that those who experienced an increase in speed were Eircom customers. I had an eircom engineer out to service my line and he told me and showed me that my line could take 14.4Mbs tops which is what I am getting, so unless Sky upgrade the physical cables and the exchange itself, no speed increase would be seen at all. Maybe lower pings and a higher upload speed, but nothing else.

I would switch to Sky as I have them for TV, but I'm stuck with Eircom till July.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    So Sky aren't a shower of bastards like Eircom, hmmm, I disagree, they're a bigger shower of bastards

Why? My dad brought home a Sky Minidish back from England in 1998 and we've been happy customers since. Never had a problem with them. Eircom, however, refused to upgrade their bitstream copper lines to something faster because they had no competition, and therefore, no incentive to do so, until UPC launched in Ireland.

Now Sky are taking all of Eircom's customers by paying out of pocket to give us cheap DSL whilst using Eircom's bitstream copper lines. I think I'm saving between either €37 or €47 a month thanks to Sky.

I also heard rumours that Sky are investing 1 billion into broadband here in Ireland. They're our saviours, not bastards.

[Steve] wrote: »
    I highly doubt that those who experienced an increase in speed were Eircom customers. I had an eircom engineer out to service my line and he told me and showed me that my line could take 14.4Mbs tops which is what I am getting, so unless Sky upgrade the physical cables and the exchange itself, no speed increase would be seen at all. Maybe lower pings and a higher upload speed, but nothing else.

I would switch to Sky as I have them for TV, but I'm stuck with Eircom till July.

My contract runs out in October but I switched anyway because it works out cheaper in the long run.

My bills were €65 a month and it's 9 months 'til October, so: €65 x 9 = €585

With Sky, I'm paying €17 a month, so: €17 x 9 = €153

€585 - €153 = €432.

Unless Eircom hit me up with a cancellation bill of €432, I'm saving money.

Why? My dad brought a Sky Minidish back from England in 1998 and we've been happy customers since. Never had a problem with them. Eircom, however, refused to upgrade their bitstream copper lines to something faster because they had no competition, and therefore, no incentive to do so, until UPC launched in Ireland.

Now Sky are taking all of Eircom's customers by paying out of pocket to give us cheap DSL whilst using Eircom's bitstream copper lines. I think I'm saving between either €37 or €47 a month thanks to Sky.

I also heard rumours that Sky are investing 1 billion into broadband here in Ireland. They're our saviours, not bastards.

Eircom do not care about losing DSL customers as they make money on it. It's their lines, they make line rental on each one.

About Sky. It's a sin that billions of Euro leaves this country each year, as they have always paid their VAT in the UK, not here. That's UK VAT you see on your bill (unless you're a pub, then you can claim it back).

Lots of us would argue that their TV services are already overpriced, I mean €15 quid extra for HD, FFS. They've also been known to pull some crafty tricks, like offering paid hardware upgrades to customers (before plus and HD) who've never had any faults or service calls, whereby they remove perfectly good working Sky boxes and replaced them refurbished ones (which could break the next day).

• Advertisement

When I rang Sky earlier this week, he ran a test and told my what speed my line was capable of handling. I get 12 mb with eircom, but Sky said my line can handle 15 mb.

I reckon you just ring them and ask them. It's all the same price no matter what speed you're getting - they only do four packages on DSL.

https://interest.sky.com/broadband-talk/

All are the same speeds, just the bottom two have download caps.

I've a feeling my line can handle a much faster speed. But Eircom would have to upgrade my local exchange to ASDL2 to get it. My exchange is only ASDL1

Surely upgrading to ASDL2 would be cheaper nowadays for Eircom. Theres now Fibre, Cable and 4G broadband been offered. Bit of a mystery ADSL1 is it for lot of rural exchanges.

Eircom do not care about losing DSL customers as they make money on it. It's their lines, they make line rental on each one.

About Sky. It's a sin that billions of Euro leaves this country each year, as they have always paid their VAT in the UK, not here. That's UK VAT you see on your bill (unless you're a pub, then you can claim it back).

Lots of us would argue that their TV services are already overpriced, I mean €15 quid extra for HD, FFS. They've also been known to pull some crafty tricks, like offering paid hardware upgrades to customers (before plus and HD) who've never had any faults or service calls, whereby they remove perfectly good working Sky boxes and replaced them refurbished ones (which could break the next day).

Of course they mind mate. There losing much needed revenue. Eircom, is heavily in debt and, losing customers isn't want they need right now. And they only get the wholesale rate ( Eircom) not the full rate. we pay.

But its just a sign rural ireland is being left behind when comes to broadband. Why else would Sky get involved and start selling DSL! They must be aware, this bad service is the best rural customers will be able to get in the coming years.

Really sickening in light of the governments claim of better internet for everyone in Ireland, and them having got 800 million from the spectrum auctions last year.Where has the money gone?

They're still losing two-thirds of their money every time someone leaves for another company.

Whose fault is that? I'll tell you:

1. The Government's.

2. The Irish peoples' inadequacy to launch their own satellite broadcasting system. While Irish people were busy playing with rosary beads and going to mass every Sunday, the British were launching satellites into space and building for the 21th century. We're a nation of f*cking Neanderthals.

Are RTE any better? One-third of TV licenses go to American film producers to buy the rights to broadcast their films in Ireland. The rest goes to overpaid gobsh*tes like Ryan Tuberty. Remember that RTE is state-owned and our taxes are paying the wages of RTE's employees, which is disgraceful because most people watch British television.

Whose fault is that? I'll tell you:

1. The Government's.

2. The Irish peoples' inadequacy to launch their own satellite broadcasting system. While Irish people were busy playing with rosary beads and going to mass every Sunday, the British were launching satellites into space and building for the 21th century. We're a nation of f*cking Neanderthals.

Just addressing point 2. The BBC did not launch satellites, they pay to broadcast on the global BSkyB satellites. We are a nation of ~4.5 million people, not much bigger than the population of greater Manchester. WTF do you expect? That we launch satellites to cover the tiny amount of people on this island? Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Wotty

What I am saying is that with a bigger dish you will get a stronger signal from the satallite.

If you’e got  stronger signal you should get a better connection. If your signal is too weak you will get a poorer service and you may get lots of drop out etc... So a largr dish may help if someone is getting a poor signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Yep, they are. Murdoch-loving, corrupt, pricey, smug bastards. :D

Let us not forget that UPC are also investing, and have done for some time. Yes, they are owned by Liberty Global- not an Irish firm, but so what- but they've been heavy with the cash, and still are. That money from Sky is also welcome, as are jobs, but let us not forget that both companies are benefitting from it and will make a lot of money from us.

If anything, what took Sky so long? They have screwed us for years with TV pricing: why not telephone sooner?

Lots of us would argue that their TV services are already overpriced, I mean €15 quid extra for HD, FFS.

As above. Very true.

... We're a nation of f*cking Neanderthals.

Are RTE any better? One-third of TV licenses go to American film producers to buy the rights to broadcast their films in Ireland. The rest goes to overpaid gobsh*tes like Ryan Tuberty. Remember that RTE is state-owned and our taxes are paying the wages of RTE's employees, which is disgraceful because most people watch British television.

Yep. We are. We don't seem to have a general business mind.

As for the RTE thing, that is a disgrace and should not happen. Those Montrose muppets need a kick in the arse. And I know many of them well, on various ends of the spectrum

What I am saying is that with a bigger dish you will get a stronger signal from the satallite.

Classic Wotty.

Just addressing point 2. The BBC did not launch satellites, they pay to broadcast on the global BSkyB satellites. We are a nation of ~4.5 million people, not much bigger than the population of greater Manchester. WTF do you expect? That we launch satellites to cover the tiny amount of people on this island? Get real.

Did I say the satellite would be exclusively used for the Irish? No. Ireland's problem is the we're always 30 years behind Britain. The British are so superior to us, they're able to extent into our market and make a profit off us. My point is, we never extend into other countries' markets.

Whether it's television, broadband, banking, Irish businesses are never good enough to go international, we'll always have businesses from other countries supplying television for us, broadband for us and even food for us because we're too thick to have our own international companies and bring money back into the Irish economy.

If anyone needs to get real, it's the Irish nationalist who is opposed to all things British having an influence on Ireland. "Tiocfaidh ár lá! Brits out! Up the RA! Burn the Queen!"

Yep. We are. We don't seem to have a general business mind.

As for the RTE thing, that is a disgrace and should not happen. Those Montrose muppets need a kick in the arse. And I know many of them well, on various ends of the spectrum

Yeah, the TV license thing really pisses me off. A license to own a TV is disgraceful in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

And to pay for and inflate that shite. Join us in the Television forum if you want to have a rant and a go at RTE.
    Before I resume topic however:

Craig Doyle/'Tonight with Craig Doyle', sorry, I meant 'The Social'. Whoops, I meant 'Craig Doyle Live' or whatever it is this week.
    Gay Byrne/The Meaning of Life
    Katherine Lynch
    The Voice of Ireland, Bressie
    Donal Skeehan
    Fair City
    Any 'Reality Bytes' programme
    The Late Late Show's 'miserable' slot (usually half way; someone sick or dying, with harrowing tale- then on a competition and comedian!)
    The Saturday Night Show
    Ronan Collins (his show is just a birthday calendar and some swingin' tunes)
    RTE News (will gladly cut important Government Press Office announcements for other things)
    Mrs. Browns Boys (and shame on you, usually brilliant BBC)
    Charlie Bird
    Colm Hayes
    Winning Streak
    Calor Housewife of the Year (primetime 'lovely girls' competition)
    The Lyrics Board
    Sarah and Steve/Dan and Becs (cheap 'Gavin and Stacey' knockoff)
    Also, for paying mental amounts of money for programmes on TV at 12am - 1am, movies, and distorting Irish media.

craig_doyle.jpg

I'll see myself out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If you’e got  stronger signal you should get a better connection. If your signal is too weak you will get a poorer service and you may get lots of drop out etc... So a largr dish may help if someone is getting a poor signal.

Completely irrelevant here.

Advertisement