Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking Speed Of Your Line

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭positron

I am with BT/Vodafone since 2005, and now waiting to be switched over to Sky.

My house is some 5 kms away from the old exchange (not the nearest, but eircom won't rewire us to the nearest exchange), and even though I was paying for 8 mbps connection with BT/Vodafone, connection was dropping every 20 minutes. Eventually, after much trial and error, I requested to Vodafone to set the speed to 3 mbps, and I was finally able to get a stable connection with speeds around 2.4 mbps.

So when Sky did the speedtest with my UAN number, I was not surprised when the rep said 3 mbps. I guess SKy's speedtest is bouncing back the limit that Vodafone had set for me. Initial sky documentation also mentions this 3 mbps. I am wondering if I inadvertently tied myself into a 3 mbps limt with sky for the year? Because, eircom has installed FTTC outside the estate, and if/when that goes live, I was hoping to be able to get at least 8 mbps, if not more...! I wonder..!

Advertisement