Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish tourist beats up taxi driver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

catbear wrote: »
    Scumbag.
    If found guilty? Certainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Struth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A taxi driver was dragged from his car and bashed after an argument over a fare in Fremantle, police allege

Bashed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Scumbag.
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/15884166/irish-tourist-charged-over-cabbie-assault/[/QUOTE]

We shouldn't be putting down our so quickly. Let's wait for the court, shall we ,,,,eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

liammur wrote: »
    Scumbag.
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/15884166/irish-tourist-charged-over-cabbie-assault/[/QUOTE]

We shouldn't be putting down our so quickly. Let's wait for the court, shall we ,,,,eh?
    fair enough but it's not like the police get involved when customers settle their bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

the utes of today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Do you know Nostradamus foretold this exact thread...
    He said it ain't going to end well at all, at all. :pac:

Edit:
    liammur wrote: »
    fair enough but it's not like the police get involved when customers settle their bills.

The whole exchange would all have been caught on Video any way.
    What i found most interesting in the story is, since when has a cabbie been a Public Officer.

Definition of PUBLIC OFFICER

: a person who has been legally elected or appointed to office and who exercises governmental functions

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/public%20officer

Or is that another case of lazy journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

mikom wrote: »
    Bashed?
    It's a fairly standard term in Australia for the word 'assaulted' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

It could be worse be could have "King hit"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Zambia wrote: »
    It could be worse be could have "King hit"

In Oxford St it's referred to as "Queen hit".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Wonder what put the guy over the edge if he did in fact hit the taxi driver....It's not like taxi drivers to be anything other than 100% straight with fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

It's not like taxi drivers to be anything other than 100% straight with fares.
    :D lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

If found guilty, put him on the first plane out of Australia, at his own expense.

Set an example to other tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

old_aussie wrote: »
    If found guilty, put him on the first plane out of Australia, at his own expense.

Set an example to other tourists.

Sending a convict out of Australia? That'd be ironic!

old_aussie wrote: »

He has no money left...the driver ripped him off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Sending a convict out of Australia? That'd be ironic!

What I find more ironic is that every Irish ejit is still wanting to come to Australia.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056858376

If he felt ripped off he could have reported the taxi driver.
    It's no excuse for violence although some on this thread think it is.
    Only scumbags could condone scumbag behaviour.

If he felt ripped off he could have reported the taxi driver.
    It's no excuse for violence although some on this thread think it is.

Life is in colour mate...everything is not black and white.

I doubt the taxi driver did rip him off...really these guys are probably the most honest bunch you will meet in Australia.

If on a one off, a driver did rip someone off, it's sort of like robbing a person. If you rob the wrong person, maybe they won't be in a sober mind to think about reporting.

Just saying if...and I know it sounds crazy, if the driver did rip the guy off.

If someone robbed me, I dunno...maybe I'd react, maybe I'd call the police....I don't know.

It really is a strage story considering the upstanding taxi drivers I've come accross in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

It really is a strage story considering the upstanding taxi drivers I've come accross in this country.

I'm trying to figure out if you're being sarcastic or not. Some of the rudest taxi drivers I've ever met have been on sydney. Not to mention the 1 who drove past my road thinking I was too drunk to notice & we could go for a little spin & got all defensive when I asked him where he was going.

In saying that I have met some lovely helpful & friendly drivers, but for the most part I've found Sydney taxi drivers to be assholes.

Edit: obviously not condoning beating them up if/because they're an asshole

If on a one off, a driver did rip someone off, it's sort of like robbing a person. If you rob the wrong person, maybe they won't be in a sober mind to think about reporting.
    Drunkenness may be an excuse for violence in Ireland but if offered as a defense here it may not be received with the same empathy. People choose to drink and are responsible for their actions while drunk so we're back to violence never being acceptable in resolving a taxi fare dispute.

If some people want to be treated as if they can't be trusted with alcohol then they need constant supervision and jail is one place that the court system can provide along with counselling for alcohol and drug abuse.

• Advertisement

Drunkenness may be an excuse for violence in Ireland but if offered as a defense here it may not be received with the same empathy. People choose to drink and are responsible for their actions while drunk so we're back to violence never being acceptable in resolving a taxi fare dispute.

If some people want to be treated as if they can't be trusted with alcohol then they need constant supervision and jail is one place that the court system can provide along with counselling for alcohol and drug abuse.

WOW, WOW, WOW....I'm not taking the side of the Irish guy....God forbid that.

I'm just saying if a taxi driver goes out to rip people off they should know there is always the chance a person will take it as a robbery and some people don't like being robbed.....

As I said, taxi drivers here are the one group of people you can rely on not to rip you off....They really are outstanding people.

I am surprised this altercation took place at all and really doubt it was over a fare. The Irish guy probably gave the wrong directions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Probably best not to speculate about a pending court case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement