Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valley Court?

Options
  • 20-01-2013 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Has anyone lived in Valley Court? Is the estate decent? Any feedback?

Is it easy to get accommodation squared away in Athlone?
    Whats sort of rent likely for a house share down there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭jaded_pause

I live very close to Valley Court, it's a quiet enough area. I will say to make sure doors and downstairs windows remain locked at all times. There's been a few break-ins and attempted break-ins in the area around it. (known from experience unfortunately) There's a couple of rowdy student houses down there, lots of shouting etc some nights but that's to be expected I guess. If you're ok with all that I could PM you the number of a guy I know rents student houses. Not a clue if he has any rooms available at the moment but you could always ask, right? As for rent prices, I'm really not sure. Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Hi Jaded_pause. Thanks for posting. Was toying with the idea of purchasing one of those student lets - hence the question. Not sure if the numbers stack up though :-)

personally I rented in a student complex (Croi Oige) and it was 65 inclusive. student appartments are better value, since your bills and rubbish collection and everything is included, but in a house you're paying 50 - 65 on top of bills/rubbish etc. plus the student appartments are so close to the college you get a nice little sleep in the mornings, and when it's cold and you're tierd that's a BIG plus lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dmartin22196

is croi oige an alright place to stay mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

You can get some rooms in willow park for €25 per week. It's a dump but your a student so i wouldnt let the aesthetics put you off.

Some chick got murdered in valley court a few years ago, kilmacoo ave, used to be called rape lane, willow park is now know as a getto, i was told some guy was walking around croi oige (student apartment block) trying to open every door he walked passed (Pissed as a fart) and lets not forget the guy who was punching the heads off of any random girl who walked across the bunavalley bridge.

I guess what im saying here is that the entire area around the college is kat and infamous in its own right.

• Advertisement

is croi oige an alright place to stay mate?

it can be, like ifeelill said, it can seem a little free-for-all at times, but as long as you look after yourself and make sure doors and windows are locked you shouldn't come accross anything totally unexpected.

I never heard of anyone being killed down Valley Court but I can't say I'm entirely surprised :/

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

ifeelill wrote: »
    You can get some rooms in willow park for €25 per week. It's a dump but your a student so i wouldnt let the aesthetics put you off.

Some chick got murdered in valley court a few years ago, kilmacoo ave, used to be called rape lane, willow park is now know as a getto, i was told some guy was walking around croi oige (student apartment block) trying to open every door he walked passed (Pissed as a fart) and lets not forget the guy who was punching the heads off of any random girl who walked across the bunavalley bridge.

I guess what im saying here is that the entire area around the college is kat and infamous in its own right.

Your some ambassador for the area ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I never heard of anyone being killed down Valley Court but I can't say I'm entirely surprised :/

Link to the news story.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0915/135601-scanlonl/

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭TimeClock18

ifeelill wrote: »

Really? Bringing up a 5 year old case of a local 48 year old women being murdered by a 54 year old women in the locality of Athlone?

This has no bearing on whether somebody should look at living in Vally Court or near the college in general.

Really? Bringing up a 5 year old case of a local 48 year old women being murdered by a 54 year old women in the locality of Athlone?

This has no bearing on whether somebody should look at living in Vally Court or near the college in general.

I'm pretty sure he posted that for my benefit. Did you read the whole thread?

• Advertisement
Advertisement