Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Vomit (westie)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BONDIred

kaza2710 wrote: »
    I was advised about 3% of the dogs weight. So it really depends on the weight of your guy. As the portion breakdown I used the advise on Dogs First about meat v veg break down.

she about 9kg, so thats about 270g per day??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

That sounds about right.

You should be able to have her on other fresh food as just feeding her chicken breasts might work out a tad expensive ;)

My wheaten terrier has terrible allergies and I keep him on a fresh diet alternating between lamb, hearts, livers, beef, chicken etc. Keep an eye in the 'going out of date' sections in the super markets. Lidl recently had an offer of 10 chicken legs for 8euro - thankfully my guy likes to munch on those raw. I fed him on in the morning with a bit of boiled rice and one in the evening with a bit of boiled rice and he was fine on them. He had lost weight when we were trying to figure out what he could and couldnt eat. When we settled on a fresh diet he put on weight and is about 15kg now and much healthier for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi OP, now that you've fixed it, don't break it again!
    I can't add to Kaza's advice, raw feeding is cheaper and so much better, particularly for Westies, than any dry food.
    If she'll eat it raw, feed it raw, because cooked protein can cause allergy in dogs: bear in mind that Westies are probably the most allergy-prone breed of them all, they need all the help they can get! Some dogs prefer it cooked, and if this is your westie, do as kaza describes and only just about cook it, just enought to take the raw look away. But if you can feed it raw, it makes it all that bit quicker and convenient.
    No need for expensive chicken breast! At most, a ready-made meat and veg chub from Dogs First will cost €4 per kilo, which will feed your westie for 4 days. If she seems hungry, bulk it out with a bit of boiled spud or veg, or eggs, yoghurt (natural) or cottage cheese. But if you go to a butcher or if you've a fish shop locally, or if you get the nearly-out-of-date stuff in supermarkets, you can do this much cheaper!
    Also, if you give her a raw chicken wing a couple of times a week, these help to fill them up too.
    She's trying to tell you something about how her body feels about dry food!

Advertisement