Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cowen taking on the press

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Here's the offending article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ireland/article-2170386/Cowen-58-000-student-California-sunshine-Irelands-taoiseach-takes-Executive-Education-course--wont-say-paying-huge-fees.html

A in fairness, I do feel sort of bad for him. Whilst yes, he was an incompetent fool at the helm, he received the worst poison challace in Irish political history. The damage was done under Ahern, he was just too much of a cute whoor and passed the buck to Cowen at the perfect time.

As Haughey said, there's none more devious than Bertie Ahern, some compliment coming from that fella!

Yes there are issues with his pension that people will be annoyed about, myself included, but in terms of Cowen, I feel sorry for him in the sense that he was just completely unqualified for the job and was caught out by a sly fecker and took the brunt.

I read in the article that family and friends say he takes serious abuse on the street and in pubs, everywhere he goes, and I remember the humiliating "naked" sketches printed of him, and now trying to do something else with his life and these pictures....I don't know, maybe it's the fact that he looks like a simpleton, but it's not right. I feel bad for the guy - he is a human being, a husband and a father after all - he has a basic right of dignity and privacy imo.

And most of all - I've never voted FF in my life, it was YOU who put him in there, and the person who appoints an idiot to such an important job is at least equally as culpable for their actions as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

[Jackass] wrote: »
    And most of all - I've never voted FF in my life, it was YOU who put him in there, and the person who appoints an idiot to such an important job is at least equally as culpable for their actions as they are.

Over and over again,it comes back to his point.

Not only Cowen,but each and every total charlatan so far exposed by the harsh glare of recession has been a "Poll Topper",sometimes for decades.

The Irish electorate (or the 50% that usually bothered to vote) never found it necessary to ask questions or do their own investigating.

We (for it was WE) dutifully lined-out and voted without question for the Party Person (and we often wonder aloud how the Nazi's did it ).

This is why I take much of the current grumbling and ochóning with a pincha salt,as it's main purpose appears to be deflection of attention from the fact that we were/still are a democracy.

Democracies tend to function best when the people involved actually take an interest in their democratic duties and functions...rather than merely get involved when it's time to get a bit of "Plannin" or an "oul Grant".

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭McNulty737

Here's the offending article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ireland/article-2170386/Cowen-58-000-student-California-sunshine-Irelands-taoiseach-takes-Executive-Education-course--wont-say-paying-huge-fees.html

A in fairness, I do feel sort of bad for him. Whilst yes, he was an incompetent fool at the helm, he received the worst poison challace in Irish political history. The damage was done under Ahern, he was just too much of a cute whoor and passed the buck to Cowen at the perfect time.

As Haughey said, there's none more devious than Bertie Ahern, some compliment coming from that fella!

Yes there are issues with his pension that people will be annoyed about, myself included, but in terms of Cowen, I feel sorry for him in the sense that he was just completely unqualified for the job and was caught out by a sly fecker and took the brunt.

I read in the article that family and friends say he takes serious abuse on the street and in pubs, everywhere he goes, and I remember the humiliating "naked" sketches printed of him, and now trying to do something else with his life and these pictures....I don't know, maybe it's the fact that he looks like a simpleton, but it's not right. I feel bad for the guy - he is a human being, a husband and a father after all - he has a basic right of dignity and privacy imo.

Are you completely forgetting Cowen's disastrous budgets as finance minister? He's equally to blame as Ahern.

Also, it is absolutely appalling that he is 'entitled' to draw down a pension 15 times greater than the state pension at the tender age of 51. How much money did Cowen contribute over the years to his pension in order to draw 151,000 a year? It is nothing short of stealing from the taxpayer.

Let's cut off his pension until he's at the same retirement age as the rest of us, and only then pay him something proportional to what he contributed over the years, and maybe then he's entitled to his privacy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

As I saw pointed out on Twitter, I wonder what will become of the three month time limit given the prospective complainant. They were quite fond of strict enforcement of the limit in relation to a part of the Kate Fitzgerald scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

In fairness he did not have to take the job when Ahern bailed. Also Cowen was the Finance minister for some time before that, and if he did not know or see what was going on in that role, then he is far worse than what he is currently credited with. I do not feel sorry for him one bit, he has a pension etc,and some security not like all the people who have had to leave Ireland or the rest of us trying to get by with austerity and the debts FF left us with. If he is upset about public reaction to him, perhaps he should think of emigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

He refused to condmen Bertie's actions which makes him complicit in the treason which ruined this State.IE he was not incorrect ffs.

He should be thankful he still has his health after what him and his cronies pulled here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jeeze there for a moment you almost had me welling up.

But then I remembered how
    • he supported ahern and all his incredulous fairystories
    • he supported and promoted a liar like o'dea
    • he was minister of finance when mcgreevy (good friend of mister fingelton) was ousted to a cushy number in Europe and how as minister of finance he fueled the bubble with tax polices
    • he used to have nice dinners with the board of Anglo and played a round of golf with it's chairman fitzpatrick while the banks share price was tumbling and yet he never discussed the bank
    • he had a massive unvouched expenses and one of the highest politicans salaries in the world at the same time as he was an incompetent gimb and supposedly not really to blame for anything
    • he tried to make us look like eejits claiming the IMF/ECB/EU weren't here to take our economic soverignty
    • he had a state car under his fat ar** for over decade at my and my families expense
    • he now enjoys a massive pension at my and my families expense

And instead of crying for him, I am wondering why the fooker is still breathing and wasn't left swinging from a lamp post.
    We really are a subservient bunch and by God Europe and the rest know it.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement