Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place to go for fun in the snow?

Options
  • 20-01-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭

was up in Glencullen with the kids yesterday, loads of snow but not much open spaces to play in.

anyone know of a good open field/park/slope somewhere around glencullen/stepaside etc. i can take them this afternoon to use the sleds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

We went up to Kilternan if we couldn't get any further & used the hill beside the ski slope...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Go up towards three rock ,keep going past the entrance and about 200m up the road on your right is a field with a big hill. That used to be where I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

cheers guys. will check them out

Bluefoam wrote: »
    We went up to Kilternan if we couldn't get any further & used the hill beside the ski slope...

is that high enough? very little snow really until you get to glencullen (and then there's loads!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I don't know what the weather is like back home right now, as I live in a giant sandpit... But the OP suggests Stepaside, so if there's snow there its gonna be quite good around Kilternan.

• Advertisement

I don't know what the weather is like back home right now, as I live in a giant sandpit... But the OP suggests Stepaside, so if there's snow there its gonna be quite good around Kilternan.

no snow at stepaside (although it's snowing everywhere at the moment), but very good snow was found at glencullen so i'm looking for something at that altitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

isnt that a golfcourse....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

GreeBo wrote: »
    isnt that a golfcourse....

Apartments now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

It's an ex-golf course, but it's not apartments. I ski'd on it in the big snow 2 years ago. The ski club don't approve (it's not insured, etc . . .), but it was fun.

The old hotel there was almost re-developed mid-boom but never got completed. It's yet another monument to the tiger madness as well as the post-tiger madness.

When you walk past you can see that *a lot* of money went into it, and it's all just sitting there rotting away. There's a security firm employed to man the gate to the complex, but other than that nothing happens.

Remember - there used to be a hotel, a golf club & a ski slope here, providing business & utility for the area. Now, it's just the ski club. A big waste of a resource.

z

[edit] I mean the loss of the hotel & golf club is the waste. The ski club is still a great resource. It's just that there used to be so much more there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Sugar loaf was packed on Sunday, so many people headed up there the guards were out directing traffic :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I drove up to three rock but could see cars ahead of me turning around just before the first car park so I did so too. Thought it might be nice to drive up to the Bull Light and/or over to Glencullen and park up so I could go for a walk in the snow. It turns out everyone else thought this too! We got stuck in traffic that was caused by people parking their car at the side of the road but they were actually blocking one lane completely!

Advertisement