Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS will not connect to router

Options
  • 20-01-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have an Iomega Storcenter ix2-200, which has been connected to a Netgear R6300 with no issues. I have now connected the StorCenter to a Netgear WNDR3700, but the NAS and router will not talk to each other.

The link lights on the NAS do not light up. I have:
    • Switched cables
    • Swicthed LAN ports
    • Rebooted NAS
    • Rebooted router
    • Plugged NAS into a switch, and switch into router - no Link lights on NAS
    • Hard reset of router - 30 - 30 - 30
    • Plugged other devices into all the WNDR3700 ports - all work

Once I plug the NAS back into the R6300, link lights start and the NAS operates as expected.

The firmware on the R6300 is the standard Netgear firmware and the firmware on the WNDR3700 is DD-WRT. I also have other Iomega Storcenter devices (non ix2-200) operating on both routers with no issues. It is just this one device.

I have also checked the networking settings on both routers. The only difference I can determine is that the R6300 has a subnet of 255.255.255.0 wheras the R3700 has a subnet of 255.255.254.0. However all the Iomega devices (in their own network setups) have a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and are operating as expected - with the exception of the ix2-200.

I've spent about a day trying to figure this out :-( Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The fact that the link LEDs don't appear when using the WNDR3700 is weird. Are you using crossover cables, by any chance?
    Or, are the LAN ports in the DD-WRT config set to Crossover or Auto-sensing?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Hi Roast,

thanks for having a look at this. The cable is the same cable that came with the device - printed on the cable is "verified cat 5e STP" - I'm guessing that is not a cross over cable (but would not know how to tell the difference).

I cannot find any options in the DD-WRT for Autosensing - but the settings are all set to the default at the moment.

I also have the same question open here - frowned upon, I know, but I cannot figure this out at all.

Thanks again - please feel free to offer any further advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

When you initially set up the NAS, was it connected to your router, or directly to your PC via ethernet at the time?

Setup via the router - never been directly connected to the PC. this NAS has worked on at least two other routers with no problems.

Hi roast,

thank you for your advice and suggestions. The problem has been fixed by re-flashing the DD-WRT firmware to an earlier version :-D

• Advertisement
Advertisement