Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm, convective watch, Winter/Spring 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Great thunder and lightning show in Sligo earlier, pity i was doing an exam so no pictures or videos :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

here at the butt of the galtees we had thunder from the time i went outside this morning 10.00am until i went inside at 4.00pm, it arrived from the east and traveled across the north of the galtees and the sliabh riah, we has only one heavy shower, from experience, if one gets a couple of fine warm days we end up with a long warm spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Found this on the Waterford City forum, some lightning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyGC5bCQ6Fs&feature=youtu.be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

from the waterford forum

thanks to maltese falcon11

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

I was driving home from the west today and could see some deep convection to the north of me so i headed towards the core of the cell.
    Passed through some crazy rain then i hit the hail core.. Listen to the noise of this it was deadly..

Plus i was trying out my gopro..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The most intense storm in a long time in Waterford City earlier this evening.Here is a short clip of the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Nice video, great crash of thunder right at the end there, can't remember the last time I heard anything remotely close to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

Harps wrote: »
    Nice video, great crash of thunder right at the end there, can't remember the last time I heard anything remotely close to that!

I heard something considerably closer when a strike blew the roof of my house to bits yesterday! (see link to Journal above)

What I found odd was that it came from a flat grey sky, no cumulus type clouds in sight that I would normally associate with forked lightning. We got rain/hail about 15mins later then several strikes to ESB poles around the area over the next 3 hours. Power is still out.

Found bits of our roof and wall in the field 100 yards away, it was as explosive as it sounded!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

robbed from my sister's facebook page. it's a still from a video she took yesterday outside ballymote943739_10151552306238956_440403446_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Upside-down wave travelling west is tracking towards Irish Sea at present from Cumbria and should track approximately Louth to Galway between 14h and 18h with potential for some embedded thunder and hail. If you're in that path, be on the alert for heavy downpours, hail and possible thunder. South of the track approx Dublin to Clare effects should be more of a steady light to moderate rain. North of the track you might be able to see warm front, weak warm sector then cold front and that could be rather squally (moving west).

Quite an unusual set-up, moving at a steady 40-50 knot pace. Lightning currently indicated with the "cold front" feature in the North Sea approaching Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Its also quite striking that this is arriving as a warm front (see synoptic charts), coming from the north. As you say, it is up side down. But the likely weather is interestingly different from the typical warm front that comes at us from a west - south direction. This one is being heated from below as it travels southwards instead of the more normal gently cooling of warm air travelling northwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

There was some very strong gusts at 1345 at Dublin airport from this small cell, at the time I was listening to ATC on the radio the wind was 360/29G50kts

Capture_zps94ae4d86.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A few sparks out there this afternoon. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html Some small but intense looking showers on radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Just had the first thunder of the year - just 1 clap with hail thrown in for good measure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Incoming shower today!

BLR6Fg0CUAAqgoo.jpg

Good chance of pulse type storms across the midlands today with some decent CAPE stretching from Cork all the way to Donegal.
    CAPE in the region of 900-1100 j/kg which isn't half bad and with LI -2 to -3 should result in some short lived pulse storms.
    Lapse rates are excellentso once the the convection gets going towers should pop up easily.

Heavy downpours are a certainty and hail embedded in the core of the storms due to the 0C isotherm at about 1500m

Negatives are the poor lower layer and deep layer shear which will result in un-organised storms. We want good organized storms to detach the updraft so the storms last longer and produce lightning.

Here are some charts from last nights hires 00z

CAPE an LI
    EAA48446DD26419FA5A26FF8B76AB10B-0000336016-0003262400-00500L-9A13EC8D071743AD8900CCBDA57E0456.png

Lapse Rates

43A7CAB23546482A9BE2F0E99ACC380D-0000336016-0003262401-00500L-16CB93B506DD4BA6B96484AE572C53FF.png

Oc Isotherm for hail

5EEEFD6F2FEE409EB70FB07FA640F71A-0000336016-0003262402-00500L-8D7C91BC658E4CAD86E531D4A490D58D.png

Happy hunting.. T9

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Its on days like this where we get nice cape and LI thats might get ya excited but its the shear and initial cloud coverage that lowers my expectations.
    As T9 said , shear is crappy so it all be random pulse type events where itll be too hard to chase / judge what cells might build.

CLoud cover currently with light showers are only just hampering any latent heat build up .

If i had a car though and wanted to get out for the day id probably head towards Kildare/ Carlow region or up north , Fermanagh and the boarder region where best convergence seems to take place later on.

255775.png

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Its on days like this where we get nice cape and

If i had a car though and wanted to get out for the day id probably head towards Kildare/ Carlow region or up north , Fermanagh and the boarder region where best convergence seems to take place later on.

Some pockets of drier air around the convergences at 850mb too Ian could be the place to be alright. Atmosphere too saturated out west.

Nice beefy cell getting going near Edenderry now. Nice echoes for a single cell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

One lone spark in the south midlands. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Looks like nice line of cells developing now between Kildare and Cavan.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like nice line of cells developing now between Kildare and Cavan.

Have a feeling that line of cells will produce sparks soon there is a nice line of drier air feeding in from the NE

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Unbelievable looking shower heading my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

thats a grand drop of rain moving in from the Irish Sea now :) badly needed in my parts.
    I was surprised to hear Jean say tonight the rain would be "light and patchy" when the radar was showing heavy stuff approaching.
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

10mm overnight, almost all of it fell between 1-2am so quite heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

thats a grand drop of rain moving in from the Irish Sea now :) badly needed in my parts.
    I was surprised to hear Jean say tonight the rain would be "light and patchy" when the radar was showing heavy stuff approaching.
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

10mm overnight, almost all of it fell between 1-2am so quite heavy.

Wow, she must have been forecasting for the whole country for a change instead of just dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Jean could have said "rain heavy in eastern areas" - the bright echoes were there to be seen on the radar last night.
    If you ^ (and some others) see things as Dublin v The Rest that's your concern.
    http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?
    There must have been heavy rain not in Dublin last night, it appears there were strikes between 0300 and 0600 around Monaghan (not in Dublin) and also around Sligo (not in Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Spark just on the south east coast in last half hour.

Is this thread remaining for june?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Is this thread remaining for june?

We could just rename it and leave out the Winter/Spring part? I presume a MOD only has the power to do that now.

• Advertisement

We could just rename it and leave out the Winter/Spring part? I presume a MOD only has the power to do that now.
    Thought there would be a summer thread.. .. We shall see.

Advertisement