Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm, convective watch, Winter/Spring 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

More lightning here. Very impressive.

could see that one it was a biggy:D

lost all the pegs off the line here!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Horizontal rain in Swords right now :D and some big gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

That was sum blast of thunder in Castlebar 15 minutes ago.Very white lightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Lots of lightning over Midlands right now, very bright and still no thunder. Worth a look if you're still up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Faint sheet lightning in Tramore but no thunder or fork, very heavy downpours and winds at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Nice weather at Cork airport around midnight

EICK 310000Z 22034G47KT 6000 TSRA BKN010 BKN014CB BKN033 06/05 Q1003 REGS BECMG 9999 BKN020

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I'm in Camolin, Wexford. We had hailstones, thunder and lightning. Starting to calm down now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

is this lightning going to reach south Dublin? Should I wait up?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I was out searching for my phone in my car about 30 min ago and next thing the whole parish lit up with fork lightning.. Yard lights immediately went out and the thunder hit within seconds...not ashamed to say I nearly sh1t myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

very strong noisy winds here for last hourand heavy rain.. A bit of variety ,loud heavy hailshower 30mins ago, now growling wind whipping at the windows.
    great to be in bed ,trying to sleep:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

is this lightning going to reach south Dublin? Should I wait up?

Nope. Unless something else pops up during the night, but no sign of that happening right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Really weird sounding thunder just an instant bang rather than a rolling sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The wind was very strange as well.

Sounded like one constant gust for about 30 seconds at a time.

Its what i'd imagine a small tornado roar to sound like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

sparrowcar wrote: »
    From MT :D

UPDATE to ALERT _ 0045h Thursday 31 Jan 2013

ALERT upgraded to severe thunderstorm alert for Dublin region including Dublin, Kildare and Meath counties, north into Ulster ... squall line approaching rapidly, will arrive Dublin about 0130-0200h, expect brief interval of heavy rain, intense lightning, possible hail and wind gusts to 120 km/hr in wind shift SSW to WSW. Strong gusty winds will continue for several hours after passage.

The storm certainly seemed to be moving very fast from the postings on here! It took a very short time to cross the entire breadth of the country !! Impressive! only sorry it didn't make it to north Leitrim... am here, awake, day off tomorrow, all I needed was for it to track a bit further North. The wind and rain aren't even that impressive here at the moment... :(

Oh while I am here, going for a long shot, can anyone remember the name of the thread that was on here ( could even have been as far back as 2 years ago (???), where some of us spent a very entertaining evening watching a magnificent thunder and lightning storm on a hotel web cam somewhere in Europe, there was a guy out occasionally on the balcony smoking and we were wondering if he knew that there were several boardsies watching him on camera? I really enjoyed that lightning. As I said, its a long shot...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

If only that squall line was a bit further north, ah well. Heavy shower since with a lot stronger wind.
    Eskimocat is this the thread your after, Kracow last July?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056576160&pp=15&page=110

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Thats the one! thanks ...had gone off myself and looked for it through my past posts and just found it a couple of seconds after you posted the above...

Don't know why I thought that happened years ago rather than months ago!! So started the search the wrong way round.. oldest posts first!! ARAGGHH...anyway I can sleep now... that was wreaking my head!

Hope those of you still awake get some lightning to enjoy...Thanks again lolie

Nite all
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

A lot of people are gonna be pissed that they missed this when they read the forum in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

You should be glad you missed that storm. Woke me at 1245 with seriously loud thunder claps, intense lightening & rain hitting the window like it was going to smash. Electricity has been off ever since, will not be much fun getting ready for work in pitch dark. Still very windy out there now.

Don't think I've ever heard such loud thunder or seen so much lightening in such a short space of time. Was scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Impressive Thunderstorm over Cork last night, probably the biggest since that infamous night last June but not in the same league as that for intensity or duration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

:(:(:( i missed the whole damn thing. the one night i actually sleep. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

sunbabe08 wrote: »

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    You should be glad you missed that storm. Woke me at 1245 with seriously loud thunder claps, intense lightening & rain hitting the window like it was going to smash. Electricity has been off ever since, will not be much fun getting ready for work in pitch dark. Still very windy out there now.

Don't think I've ever heard such loud thunder or seen so much lightening in such a short space of time. Was scary stuff.

Those words don't make sense in here :D
    Sounds like you had a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Iancar29 wrote: »
    TO all Munster people... if no pics ..... you shall be banished from my happy list !!

From the Cork Forum....Post number 8..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056869354

Well done Iancar....Spot on with the weather forecast..

Some fab show in Cork last night,,even if was a short burst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Fierce hail shower here now, lightning and thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

sunbabe08 wrote: »

:O... HOW !?........... Like.... HOW!?.. what kind of windows do you have?! ha
    MrFrisp wrote: »
    From the Cork Forum....Post number 8..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056869354

Well done Iancar....Spot on with the weather forecast..

Cheers :) , glad someone got some of it on photo/video!

THey wont make it inland like the ones did last night i think...

2moro though looks like there could be a potential reload!

Lift and cape is there , lapse rates pretty much maxed out the same as last night .
    238876.png

Low level shear is great so could be hearing a mention of tornado probabilities again from torro. Deep layer shear isnt AS great this time round but still ok . So cells might not stay AS organised as last night but they still should go up nicely.

238877.png :cool:

So main areas at risk imo are the NW and Central areas . YOU BEEN WARNED!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Iancar29 wrote: »
    :O... HOW !?........... Like.... HOW!?.. what kind of windows do you have?! ha

i don't know. first good night sleep i got in weeks :eek: & what's nuts, was my window was opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wow ! Big flash and nice loud rumble here in Donegal Town during current heavy hail !

Edit ! Holy F***... just had the loudest bang of thunder I ever heard/felt... everything in house rattled ! So cool !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just to keep in the archives. (images from Meteox)

Sferics for yesterday morning (January 30th 2013)

animation1.gif

And for early this morning (January 31st 2013). For some reason there seems to be a 'lag' in the sferic data for this perod, probably due to Meteox changing the look of the map at this time. Wouldn't you think they would have done this transition during quieter times!

animation2_1.gif

New Moon

Advertisement