Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm, convective watch, Winter/Spring 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Apparently my entire family was woken up last night, the wind and rain coupled with thunder & lightening was supposed to be extremely loud, my father genuinely got concerned there would be damage to the roof or something else.

I live in a converted attic, so I hear rain and wind the loudest in the house, even normal showers are quite loud up here (anybody that lives in an attic will know how loud it is). I must have been tired because not once did I wake up during the night, I didn't even know anything happened until I was told in the morning :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Apparently my entire family was woken up last night, the wind and rain coupled with thunder & lightening was supposed to be extremely loud, my father genuinely got concerned there would be damage to the roof or something else.

I live in a converted attic, so I hear rain and wind the loudest in the house, even normal showers are quite loud up here (anybody that lives in an attic will know how loud it is). I must have been tired because not once did I wake up during the night, I didn't even know anything happened until I was told in the morning :cool:

same experience, didn't hear anything and normally i hear thunderstorms. but i was conked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A few sferics showing up close to here, hard to hear any thunder with the howling wind

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

There was a Thunderstorm in Castlebar an hour ago with some massive hail(for this country). A lovely loud clap of Thunder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Sferic registered in Enfield area, heard in the distance.... heading my way. Come on!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Those words don't make sense in here :D
    Sounds like you had a great show.

I don't understand how people can be wishing a storm on themselves. Pitch dark when you're getting ready, holding candles up to mirror to try to see if you're presentable, and no running water because the pump needs electricity. Leaving house early to avoid being late for work due to fallen trees along the road. And not knowing if the power will be back when I get home this evening.
    I will definitely need a shower in the morning!

Ye should be glad you're not having the day I'm having!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Flash of lightning and big crack of thunder about half an hour ago.
    Followed by a big hail shower which just as it was easing up dropped the biggest hail i've ever seen here. Cool

238957.jpg

238917.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

lolie wrote: »
    Flash of lightning and big crack of thunder about half an hour ago.
    Followed by a big hail shower which just as it was easing up dropped the biggest hail i've ever seen here. Coo

Awesome! :)

I see the anvil from the shower from here.. lovely shape to it , not great photo view though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Iancar29 wrote: »

Awesome! :)

I see the anvil from the shower from here.. lovely shape to it , not great photo view though :(

Bloody phone battery died just as i wast about to take a pic of the cloud after it passed.
    Plugged it in the charger for a few mins and went back out but low level cloud had covered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Thunder here in Edenderry atm just passed me to the east really dark skies, apparently epic lightning here last night at 3am but im a deep sleeper and didnt hear a thing,

Drove from Mullingar to Athlone for college this morning and there wasnt a wheelie bin left standing on the road,

A friend of mine said he had a tornado pass his house last night took off some slates off the roof and scattered a few plant pots round the garden, ragin i didnt stay up last night now,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Is there any chance of round 2 for Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Another heavy shower heading into Dublin area, slightly more south this time.

BOOBIES :D

attachment.php?attach_id=0d77010bf6fe7c318e495a71973ca7ca&mid=mid.1359645702912%3Aedaa8d241b4d05ea64&hash=AQAaEbiKwOwHjz3R

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The squall line raced across Britain later overnight with reports of lightning and hail from the Midlands, then has remained active across Belgium, Netherlands and central Germany as this lightning display shows (somebody with a bit of time, could you possibly save an image, this is a link to a site that will change to nothing by perhaps tonight).

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/foudre.php

Around 0130 to 0200h last night, I was concerned that the squall line was showing tornadic wind potential for central Meath towards Louth, any observations of more significant wind damage from that area? Dunsany had a gust to 61 knots and it doesn't seem to be a particularly windy location.

If we ever see those dynamics during late afternoon in March-May then a fairly significant tornado could develop (like high end F1 to low end F2 on Fujita scale). Given time of day last night's potential was more like F0-low end F1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

The squall line raced across Britain later overnight with reports of lightning and hail from the Midlands, then has remained active across Belgium, Netherlands and central Germany as this lightning display shows (somebody with a bit of time, could you possibly save an image, this is a link to a site that will change to nothing by perhaps tonight).

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/foudre.php

Around 0130 to 0200h last night, I was concerned that the squall line was showing tornadic wind potential for central Meath towards Louth, any observations of more significant wind damage from that area? Dunsany had a gust to 61 knots and it doesn't seem to be a particularly windy location.

If we ever see those dynamics during late afternoon in March-May then a fairly significant tornado could develop (like high end F1 to low end F2 on Fujita scale). Given time of day last night's potential was more like F0-low end F1.
    My weather station is fairly sheltered from the southwest by a yard and buildings and trees in Arklow and is only 6ft off the ground yet recorded near 50mph gusts from the sw at that time in Arklow.
    Real gusts would have been 70mph or more,they had to be.
    My huge 300 yr old oak tree,as mentioned earlier fell at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Image saved:]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

A house was struck by lightning last night in Eyrecourt Co Galway heard this from a neighbour, lightning caused a lot of damage in County Galway to ESB transformers

I bow down to this guy for capturing probably the rarest case of lightning causing dual power flashes in Ireland! :D:D:D

Slightly surprised with the Estofex forecast , thought there would be more of an emphasis
    on Ireland considering cape and LI values are quite good. Ah sure , we can't always get level 1's ,2's and 3's! ha

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2013020506_201302040038_0_stormforecast.xml

Storm Forecast
    Valid: Mon 04 Feb 2013 06:00 to Tue 05 Feb 2013 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Mon 04 Feb 2013 00:38
    Forecaster: TUSCHY
    SYNOPSIS and DISCUSSION

The active branch of the polar vortex reorganizes, so cold and unsettled conditions continue over most of Europe, although the air mass features mostly low-end moisture values. A cut-off development atop the C/E-Mediterranean results in better moisture along its eastern fringe which increases thunderstorm chances somewhat from the S-Ionian Sea into the Aegean Sea.

This pattern will be a quiet one for thunderstorm development although a few areas were highlighted for some isolated activity. The thunderstorms will be sub-severe although convection over Ireland, UK, Belgium/the Netherlands and far NW Germany may be accompanied by strong to isolated severe wind gusts given strong LL flow. Marginal hail will be another issue given rapidly cooling lower/mid troposphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Will we see an intensification of showers once they first reach land? The interaction of the warmer see air with colder land on land might provide a boost as the warm air rises over the surface cold air?

• Advertisement

Yep , that would sound correct , more so during the night i think when there will be a larger temp range ( increased lapse rates )
    to contend with.

Here are the charts ive been quite happy to see for this time of year!

LI pretty much 0 or negative throughout the whole country , cape marginal yes but LRs nearly maxed out should balance that out . ( still give some good rising motion )
    239474.png

Both DL and LL shear are good , especially in the midlands so any showers that go up should stay organised.
    239475.png

The only bad one is that there is a slight cap in the east of the country to contend with ... still though, should still see some sparks about later into tonight on radar!

Sferic picked up just North of Kilcock @ 7p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Lighting and tunder here in south tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The lightning map on netweather.tv showed a couple of lightning strikes west of Limerick city around 10 miles from my location. Did not hear any thunder from it as I was indoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Lightning in the shower passing Edenderry now. had a few flashes and a huge hail shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

thunder here in naas with some hail

NINJA STORM indeed!!
    239696.png

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Why is it precipitation like that only comes along when it has got too warm for snow:(

Got some cool shots of Mammatus clouds from that cloud. Beasty looking thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Saw a flash of lightning in the distance heading for Kilkenny.

Advertisement