Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm, convective watch, Winter/Spring 2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nice looking 'rash' of strikes heading towards the SW this morning. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Estofex issued warning for tornadoes today.

Keep an eye out for funnels!

DISCUSSION

...Ireland...

While the amount of CAPE is low, the strong vertical wind shear and very low lifting condensation level is reason to believe that one or multiple tornadoes may occur. 0-1 km shear well above 15 m/s, 0-3 km storm-relative helicity of 250 m²/s² and 0-6 km bulk shear over 30 m/s are supportive of strong tornadoes (F2 ). Severe convective wind gusts are likely as predicted storm motion vectors are over 25 m/s. The most likely time interval of events is 09Z-21Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Good to have some interesting weather back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yeah sorry , forgot to post the watch last night. Shear forecast was upgraded on the 00z and yeah... fairly reasonable forecast from estofex , pity though LI and CAPE where low though , would make a tornadic event alot easier.

Fairly windy here though alright! , got told of one or 2 trees falling down in the phoenix park earlier.

cant see anything really interesting on radar currently , i think the trough has passed through near enough already but looking back at this morning's radar i saw this...

532142_10151596678986718_609730764_n.jpg

Fairly classic supercell shape with a notch at the end.

Anyone near the area at the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Seriously windy..
    3312689970_39dcfc5b46.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Seriously windy..

lol wheres that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Inquitus wrote: »
    lol wheres that?

I'd say thats in the village of Photoshop.

What is the sea like at the Dublin coast? Was thinking I'd make a quick drive down to see the windy rough sea sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

well im in lucan and just back in from a walk its its hella windy out there. the sky is sunny then really dark shower clouds pop up. good fun. no tornados sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It was seriously windy in Galway city, and my fence is blown down again. Smashed badly this time. Ive no photos because my phone camera is broken but it was very windy!

• Advertisement

i can see some Mammatus :) ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Iancar29 wrote: »
    i can see some Mammatus :) ..

you know the rules,pics or GTFO :D

Had to use binoculars to look at them ... the faja has the camera out :(... New cell coming in from the west though shortly :)

Cell up near Skerries looked great for a few minutes!! , saw some suspicious scud near it too through binoculars ! , anyone up that way that saw it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

some activity in the north midlands.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Wee bit of mamattus here.
    Some beefy rain/hail showers, very wild out in them.

249978.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Really nasty looking clouds heading in the Tallaght direction now

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Got a shot of mammatus over Kilcock earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

A shot of mammatus over Kilcock earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

Photos taken west of trim looking east.
    Mamanatus clouds and a nice cb cloud

• Advertisement

Not a bad day at all for some nice crisp Cbs ! :D

Heres a Cb - Capillatus i caught earlier too :) ... Was going mad i couldnt be at home with my slr handy !

563660_10151603175836718_333324544_n.jpg

Next potential for some interesting weather will be friday afternoon as a trough makes its way across the country.

250771.png

Deep Layer Shear isnt great currently so storms would be sporadic in nature.
    Low Level shear on the other hand is good with some 10 (0-1km) m/s in places . This would mean any strong cells that DO get going may have the potential for some short-lived funnels.

Lapse rates are high all over the country so some hail and some nice cloudscapes are in the offing too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Could it not wait till Saturday until my 10 - 20mm sigma arrives? lol

Met Éireann on game too :)

Tomorrow

On Friday morning, showers will soon become widespread, turning heavy in places, and with an increasing risk of hail and isolated thunderstorms up to late evening. Winds veering northwest to north will become strong and gusty in most areas and it will feel cold throughout. Highest temperatures only 7 to 10 degrees Celsius, well below normal for late April.

A slight upgrade with shear on the NMM hi res for 2moro so yeah , looking good for the majority of the northern half of the country 2moro . :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

First few strikes now on the Donegal coast. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Hopefully the first of many! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

DOCARCH wrote: »
    First few strikes now on the Donegal coast. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Hopefully the first of many! ;)

Nope.

Nope.

Give it a chance...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Crazy hail here in Newbridge

Sferics just south west of Dublin and off the Wexford coast now. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Gone very quiet around here:confused:

Met saying a likely chance of thunderstorms tonight any thoughts on this??
    Tonight

The rain will spread to all parts overnight, with some heavy, thundery falls likely and the possibility of some localised flooding. It will become quite windy too with freshening southeasterly winds. A mild night with lows of 8 to 10 degrees.

Advertisement