Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Visa Visa

Options
  • 20-01-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

hi all,

im so confused :eek::eek::eek:

so im on a 457 visa since oct as a database administrator. ive been in the job since last april. now ideally id like to try to get into the mines and earn proper money as i live in perth and the price of things is so expensive that my saving is not happening.

id be hoping to apply for PR but i dont want to have to wait to be with my company for 2 years. i have a degree and all that so can anyone just tell me the first step, is it skilled visa that i look at or what? and if im sponsored as a database administrator does this need to be on the skilled list or the consolidated list? which list should i be looking at..

and, if i was to do this on my own does anyone know the actual cost of getting PR???

Thanks everyone for your help :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

For sponsorship by an employer your job must be on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List.

"A business can sponsor a skilled worker if they cannot find an appropriately skilled Australian citizen or permanent resident to fill a skilled position listed in the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List ( 76KB PDF file)."

Source: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

List here >>> http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1-2.pdf

Because you are in Australia Here are your skilled visa options.

Skilled – Independent (Residence) Visa (Subclass 885)

A permanent visa for eligible overseas students who have obtained an Australian qualification in Australia as a result of at least two years study and for holders of certain temporary visas with skills in demand in Australia. Applicants are not sponsored and must pass a points test.
    Skilled – Sponsored (Residence) Visa (Subclass 886)

A permanent visa for eligible overseas students who have obtained an Australian qualification in Australia as a result of at least two years study and for holders of certain temporary visas with skills in demand in Australia. For applicants not able to meet the Skilled – Independent requirements, who have either a relative in Australia to sponsor them or a nomination from a state or territory government.
    Skilled – Regional (Residence) Visa (Subclass 887)

A permanent visa for eligible provisional visa holders who have lived for at least two years and worked for at least one year in a Specified Regional Area in Australia.
    Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 487)

A three year provisional visa for eligible overseas students and holders of certain temporary visas. Applicants must be either sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area of Australia or nominated by a participating state/territory government. After living for two years and working for at least one year in a Specified Regional Area, applicants can apply for a permanent visa.
    Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 476)

An 18 month temporary visa for graduates of recognised overseas educational institutions who have skills in demand in Australia. There is no points test for this visa.
    Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 485)

An 18 month temporary visa for overseas students who have obtained an Australian qualification in Australia as a result of at least two years study. Allows applicants who are unable to pass the points test to remain in Australia for 18 months to gain the skills and experience needed to apply for a permanent or provisional General Skilled Migration visa. No points test applies.

Source: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/visa-options-inside.htm

Based on which visa you go for there are different obligations and eligibility criteria and costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

Thanks but most of these seem to be student visas? I'm not a student but I hold a degree from years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

According to the website these are your only options, have you considered talking to a migration agent ? They might have more information and advice based on your circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

niva*sis wrote: »
    Thanks but most of these seem to be student visas? I'm not a student but I hold a degree from years ago.

You need to look into state nomination or get your company to nominate you (and do a skills assessment)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Have a look at the subclass 189 or 190 visas. With the 189 you are not tied to any company or state, the 190 you are tied to one particular state for a couple of years.

Cost was around $3k for the 175 visa, the extras like medical etc. will add another $500ish to that, I'd imagine the 189 is the same.

My 175 was processed in less than 5 months under the old system pre July 2012, so you can do better than 2years for a PR visa.

If you are still really confused after doing some research into these, consider a migration agent.

Best of luck

• Advertisement

anyone know what the current equivalent is to the skilled migration visa or if its still available?

anyone know what the current equivalent is to the skilled migration visa or if its still available?
    If you click on the links in the posts above you'll find your answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Have a look at this http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

But really I think you would be better off contacting a migration agent.

if you are on a 457 can you only work for that employer, or can you do part time/evening work also with a diff employer?

Thanks

if you are on a 457 can you only work for that employer, or can you do part time/evening work also with a diff employer?

Thanks

Nope, only able to work for that employer

• Advertisement
Advertisement