Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS will not connect to router

Options
  • 20-01-2013 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've posted this in the Nets and Comms forum - but I'm desperate for a solution. If anyone can offer advice, please do so :)

I have an Iomega Storcenter ix2-200, which has been connected to a Netgear R6300 with no issues. I have now connected the StorCenter to a Netgear WNDR3700, but the NAS and router will not talk to each other.

The link lights on the NAS do not light up. I have:
    • Switched cables
    • Swicthed LAN ports
    • Rebooted NAS
    • Rebooted router
    • Plugged NAS into a switch, and switch into router - no Link lights on NAS
    • Hard reset of router - 30 - 30 - 30
    • Plugged other devices into all the WNDR3700 ports - all work

Once I plug the NAS back into the R6300, link lights start and the NAS operates as expected.

The firmware on the R6300 is the standard Netgear firmware and the firmware on the WNDR3700 is DD-WRT. I also have other Iomega Storcenter devices (non ix2-200) operating on both routers with no issues. It is just this one device.

I have also checked the networking settings on both routers. The only difference I can determine is that the R6300 has a subnet of 255.255.255.0 wheras the R3700 has a subnet of 255.255.254.0. However all the Iomega devices (in their own network setups) have a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and are operating as expected - with the exception of the ix2-200.

I've spent about a day trying to figure this out :-( Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Subnet mask looks a bit odd have you tried the same mask on all devices

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Hi T-K-O,
    Just realised I have that the wrong way around - the R6300 has the "odd" subnet of 255.255.254.0 and the R3700 has a subnet of 255.255.255.0. So if the subnet were an issue - I would expect thje device not to work on the R6300?

The 1x2-200 has a subnet of 255.255.255.0 also, so did not see the point as they both match - hands up I do not fully understand subnet masks etc.

Any further advice?

The mask determines what subnet a particular IP (host) belongs to.

.254 mask would mean, that host is basically on a different network to a .255

First thing I would do is change the masks to 255.255.255.0. Make a note of any changes in the meantime

Hi T-K-O,

All the devices on the R3700 (where the ix2-200 will not work) are on 255 subnet.

The network settings for the ix2 also say it is on the 255 subnet - so I would assume that the router where everything should is the one where everything is on the 255 subnet, which is the R3700?

Hi T-K-O,

All the devices on the R3700 (where the ix2-200 will not work) are on 255 subnet.

The network settings for the ix2 also say it is on the 255 subnet - so I would assume that the router where everything should is the one where everything is on the 255 subnet, which is the R3700?

The router should dynamically assign IP's to all your devices. On the router settings you can select the pool of address that you want to use.

so if your pool of addresses is something like 192.168.0.0 - 255.255.255.0
    Your router should be something like 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

The next device will be 192.168.0.2 same mask and so on. If one of your devices has a different mask the IP was probably assign statically. If you can chance all settings to DHCP so they obtain an address dynamically.

• Advertisement

Once you are happy with the IP's you should be able to ping the NAS from command / terminal. What operating system are you currently using.

Hi T-K-O,

The link lights are not lit on the NAS - therefore I will not get a reply from a ping - is that correct? I have tried, and I get no response.

The IP ranges look correct to me in the router:

Router IP is 192.168.1.1
    Subnet is 255.255.255.0
    Setup as DHCP Server
    It will assign 50 IP address

and the above are reflected in the NAS network settings also - so I cannot see any conflict there....

If you have any further advice - let me know.

Thanks in advance.

No, pings should fail without the link LED. No LED would suggest incorrect cabling. Have you spare cables? Ensure the cabling is ethernet and not a crossover.

If you have a cross over cable laying about try connecting the NAS directly to your computer.

The cable is the original that came with the device. This NAS and the same cable works on the R6300. I have used a different cable on this NAS and another device - works with the other device, but not with the NAS.

Don't have a cross over cable to hand to try :-(

I would try connecting it directly with the ethernet, you might see some activity on the LEDS.

Also, Im sure you have tried other ports on the router?

• Advertisement

Hooked up the NAS directly to the ethernet port on r3700 router - no lights :-(

I've tested all ports on the router with different devices - all ports are working.

Just re-read your first post, the NAS is working fine with the old router?

Have you tried updating the firmware on the r37000

Yep - NAS works absolutely fine on the R6300. I bought the R3700 and updated to DD-WRT. Never checked to see if the NAS worked on the stock Netgear firmware. The R6300 also has DD-WRT (different version though - specific to the R6300).

The R3700 is working with two other Iomega NAS devices, but I'm going to try and reflash to standard FW, if I can't come up with a solution. After that I'm moving all data off the NAS and reflash that firmware also.

I have also tried a crossover cable from router and NAS - no link lights :-(

What little hair I have left is in terrible danger...

Thank you for your assistance T-K-O, keep any other suggestions coming

The cross over is used to connect the NAS directly to the PC, bypassing the router. If that works you may be able to isolate the problem to the router

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

is the new router used as a repeater/wireless range extender and linked to the main router?

if yes - the nas maybe one of those fussy ones like mine and will not work as it needs to be plugged directly into the router that is assigning ip addresses. that said once it is plugged into the original router it should still be accessible to any computer that is connected to the new router if the new router is indeed connected to the old router.

my own nas is also fussy like that.

you could try updating the NAS's firmware if there is one that might help.

Hi,

thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. The problem has been fixed by re-flashing the DD-WRT firmware to an earlier version :-D

Thank you all, again

Advertisement