Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Moving to Dublin thread :P

• 20-01-2013 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey guys,

For the last few days I have been all through this forum reading the "Moving To Dublin" theads. They all seem to be based on a "I am Moving to Dublin. I will be working in XYZ, where should I live relative to that?" sort of formula. So I thought I might as well go ahead and post my own thread, as I have a bit of a twist to that formula.

I am self employed and work from home. I wont post where I live currently, as it gets enough bad rep post-recession as it is, but the situation is that whenever I have free time, I invariably end up driving up to Dublin for something to do, as my beloved hometown just doesn't have anything going for it right now :(

As I said I work from home, so what I want is an area that I can spend, for all practical terms, all my time in (bar when I am specifically going somewhere for entertainment etc). I need somewhere nice, but I'm not talking Foxrock-lap-of-luxury nice. I just want somewhere where I can lock my door, leave, come back and expect my stuff to be in where I left it. A place my car is safe at night. Decent shops/supermarket within reasonable distance (preferably walking, and I define walking as anywhere up to 30mins, after which I would just drive it). Somewhere were I can walk my dog (preferably in a park) without fear of my phone and wallet being forcibly requested. I am looking to rent a two bedroom house, and would love an area with parking, and something in the way of a small little garden for my dog to do its business. I also wouldnt mind not being as far out as the M50, but obviously not right in the center of town either.

Any and all advise would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I live in a development between Lucan and Palmerstown and I love it.

Liffey Valley is a ten minute walk away with the cinema there as well as all the shops and eateries.
    Clarion Hotel with their gym within walking distance.
    Aslo in in the Clarion Hotel complex:
    • Arc Bar;
    • Lemongrass Resturant;
    • Off Licence.

Fonthill Retail park is ten minute walk in the other direction with Lidl, Aldi, Homebase, Homestore & More, Powercity, Londis, Costa Coffee etc etc

Direct links to the city centre on all the buses that come from Lucan, Maynooth and Celbridge (takes me 10-15 mins to get to Heuston before I hop on the luas into town)

I've lived here over four years and I've never had any problems, except in really bad weather when the buses get called off the road and I got stranded at home, but that happened everywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Goatstown/Stillorgan/Dundrum/Churchtown??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Chapelizod/Kilmainham sound like they'd fit you down to a T.

Walkable from town, reasonably safe and secure and you have the Pheonix Park and the War Memorial Gardens right on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ferdbags

Portobello, Rathmines, Ranelagh, Rathgar, Rathfarnham, Churchtown, Dundrum, Terenure, Templeogue, Cowper, Kimmage seem to be the vest list I can come up with. Any thoughts on additions or subtractions?

Lucan might be a bit far out, and I've heard being too close to the Phoenix Park isnt always the best plan.

Also has anyone any first hand experience living in Irishtown or Clontarf?

Advertisement