Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone & provider recommendations please

Options
  • 20-01-2013 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Having previously considered getting a dual-SIM smartphone I've now decided to get two phones instead, an iphone 5 and another phone for work calls/texts.

I'm currently with o2 (contract expired) costing €35/month with an extensive webtext address book.

Can anyone recommend:

Which memory size of iphone to get.

Where to buy the iphone from & whether to go for SIM-free, contract or prepay.

What other phone to get which is good for texting.

Providers where no regular top-up is required

Which providers offer webtext and if it's possible to transfer my current o2 address book to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Yorky wrote: »
    Having previously considered getting a dual-SIM smartphone I've now decided to get two phones instead, an iphone 5 and another phone for work calls/texts.

I'm currently with o2 (contract expired) costing €35/month with an extensive webtext address book.

Can anyone recommend:

Which memory size of iphone to get.

Where to buy the iphone from & whether to go for SIM-free, contract or prepay.

What other phone to get which is good for texting.

Providers where no regular top-up is required

Which providers offer webtext and if it's possible to transfer my current o2 address book to them.

1. 16GB is the standard across most high end devices, and for most people it is okay, although with most Android devices the memory is expandable with a microSD card (Which can add up to an additional 64GB). With an iPhone you are stuck with the 16GB / 32GB / 64GB.

2. Buying an iPhone on either Pay as you go, or sim free would cost an extortionate amount of money. Do you really want to fork out close to €700? However do you really want another contract on your hands? Why does it have to be an iPhone?

3. Any Android phone is fantastic for texting, mainly because you have so many keyboards to choose from. No other keyboard comes close to being as smart of SwiftKey in my opinion. The spell correction is amazing. Now they have also released Swift Key Flow for added swipe functionality.

4. Assuming you're going PAYG - Three is your best bet. €20 gets you unlimited texts to all networks, free three to three calls, free calls to any irish mobile on the weekend, and on top of all that you get unlimited internet.

5. All networks offer webtexts as far as I'm aware. You would not need to transfer your webtexts address book assuming the contacts are stored on your phone as you can use an app directly from your phone to send webtexts. Irish Cabbage, or Textdroid are two of the best options for Android. Don't know what Apple has to offer.

Advertisement