Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Just had another e mail from sky.
    Activation date 4th Feb.

"Not long to go now - you'll soon be up and running
    We're glad to let you know your Sky Hub has been shipped and should be with you in a couple of days.
    Please don't try to set it up until your activation date, as it won't work. We expect to be able to send confirmation of activation on or before the date noted at the top of this e-mail, which is also on the Sky Hub box you will be receiving soon. "

The hub is already here.
    Boy are those couriers fast :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Ive spent the last two hours trying to find out how to sign up to sky unlimited for my sister. Never found it so hard to give money to a company.
    Still cant find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

Basq wrote: »
    They don't extend WiFi.. they run data through your power lines.

You run a ethernet cable from the router to one of the plugs, and an ethernet cable then from the other plug straight into the device (you want to network).

They're ideal.. but if you've a lot of devices or devices that can't be networked via Ethernet, a WiFi extender is the next best.

If you are seeing a benefit to wired connectivity and have a lot of devices to connect, one end of the homeplug setup can have something like this: http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-8-port-desktop-unmanaged-gigabit-switch-77S6.html

My setup has the router and a homeplug connected in the hall, and another homeplug in the living room, connected to a similar switch and from the switch is the Sky+HD box, PC, PS3 and wireless access point.

There are many different variety of networking setup, it all comes down to personal preference in most cases... and budget :)

Sorry for getting a bit off point, this may not quite be the thread for home networking advice/discussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

MMAGirl wrote: »
    Ive spent the last two hours trying to find out how to sign up to sky unlimited for my sister. Never found it so hard to give money to a company.
    Still cant find it.

The trial is over, you'll have to wait until they officially launch in April or thereabouts.

MMAGirl wrote: »
    Still cant find it.

http://www.sky.com/products/broadband-talk/index-roi.html

Click "Register your interest"

Its generally up to Sky after that to contact you.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    They don't extend WiFi.. they run data through your power lines.

You run a ethernet cable from the router to one of the plugs, and an ethernet cable then from the other plug straight into the device (you want to network).

They're ideal.. but if you've a lot of devices or devices that can't be networked via Ethernet, a WiFi extender is the next best.

That sounds awesome. Would it work if I used a long extension cord and brought it out my back garden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Same here, got the hub dispatched email and it arrived :)

My eircom is still working, so guessing my Sky router won't work once I connect it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

it more than likely will i had vodafone and sky on my line for a few days before sky fully took it over.its worth setting up any way

Same here, got the hub dispatched email and it arrived :)

Got mine too about an hour ago.
    My eircom is still working, so guessing my Sky router won't work once I connect it up?
    No harm in trying. Some people have posted on here that they were connected. I'm going to wait until February to connect mine because I want to download out of my monthly cap for February seeing as I paid for it in advance.

That sounds awesome. Would it work if I used a long extension cord and brought it out my back garden?

If you're talking about HomePlug...

No, HomePlug devices specifically do not work (well) with extension chords. All of the instructions say that it should be plugged into the wall outlet.

I'm thinking it probably would work plugged into an extension chord but if you have a few other things running off the chord, then the potentially large transfer of power/electricity can degrade the IP signal. Saying that, degrading from 200mbps leaves a good margin to loose.

• Advertisement

No harm in trying. Some people have posted on here that they were connected. I'm going to wait until February to connect mine because I want to download out of my monthly cap for February seeing as I paid for it in advance.

i did that as well i went to town on my download allowance when i knew i was switching over went through 60gb in 2-3days.prob end up not watching half of what i downloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Just got activated today not a happy camper.
    I had Eircom 4mb Broadband and got a consistant
    3.2 - 3.5mb download with wired connection
    2.2 - 3mb wireless connection.

Today with Sky Broadband 5mb connection I get
    0.92mb wired connection.
    0.82mb wireless connection.

Unless it improves drastically I will be moving back to Eircom
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

0.92mb wired connection.

it is a trial , and they did say to you that the speed would be changing for the first 10 days till they get a constant steady connection. I got speeds as slow as yours first day.5 days later i about 4.3mb download 0.44 mb upload. A small bit better than eircom, and €52 a month cheaper

I'm going to wait until February to connect mine because I want to download out of my monthly cap for February seeing as I paid for it in advance.

Same here. Vodafone caught me for €20 in December for going over on my allowance for the first time ever so I'm going to squeeze the very last drop from them that I can :P

0.92mb wired connection.

Sky clearly say that for the first 10 days your connection will go up & down while they try & find out what your line can take so give it time.
    As well they ask that you do NOT switch off the Sky hub during that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Got this email this morning. How long more should I be waiting for the router?

Welcome to Sky Broadband. Your Sky Broadband service should be up and running by Monday 04 February 2013.

Let's get you started

In order to set up your Sky Broadband service you will need a Sky Hub, which we'll be sending out soon, including a set up guide. We'll be in touch when it is on its way.

Please note. Don't set up your Sky Hub until your activation date because it won't work.

Keeping track of your order

We'll be in touch again soon, but you can always track your order at MySky - all you need is your Sky ID username and the password you'll be asked to create when you log on for the first time. Should you ever forget your password then follow the 'forgotten your username or password?' link at the bottom of the MySky login screen.

Thanks again for choosing Sky.

Got that too this morning. Mine arrived at 2.30pm. works grand. My start date is same as yours.

Got that too this morning. Mine arrived at 2.30pm. works grand. My start date is same as yours.

I know it goes up & down but whats your download speed like compared to what you had this morning ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Its the same as it was with eircom. I had 3mb. But im not too worried. I expect it to go up in the coming days . just got to give sky some time.But if it even stayed the same i would'nt be too worried. On my sky page it saysmy broadband has'nt been activated but on my speed test it did say esat communications or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Was onto Sky said this is normal for the first few days.
    So hopefully will be ok by the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

anyone else that left vodafone for sky get one of these emails:

Dear Customer,

Your participation and feedback are critical to helping us understand your needs. Please take a moment to share why you chose to leave Vodafone and suggest ways in which we could have served you better.

The web link below will connect you to a short survey that will take less than ten minutes to complete.

yes i did.I told that i was leaving because the problems that i had risen with them where never sorted out and that i was leaving for sky.i had a phone call from them shortyy afterwards trying to find out what the problems where, and they asked again why i was leaving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 adim111

Just find out that I can still log in to my acc On Vodafone website. But there is no active broadband bundle on my line now. Transfering process started. Just wondering how my last bill will look?

My sky line have been activated on 25.01

This same day my Sky Hub arrived with DPD. I have connected it straight at that time. The speed the line was synced was 1mb, By the evening sync changed to 13.9mb. It is steady all the time now.
    Speedtest runs 11.8mb, as sky said that i can have 12mb broadband in my house when I was ordering it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Jaysus im expecting speed fluctuations for the first 10 days but im dropping from 7mb to less than 2 mb dload speeds after 7 pm every night,pings are fine however.
    With eircom i had solid 3mb all the time anytime of the day.
    Would sky be doing testing at peak hours?
    If i was experiencing fluctuations during the day id put it down to sky testing and the 10 day period but only happening after 7 pm concerns me.

From being able to stream in HD on youtube to constant buffering @ 240 quality setting is a load of****e.

I had planned to get myself netflix, no point if its going to be like this in the evenings.
    Granted the 10 days isnt up yet but slowdown ONLY after 7pm is a major concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Ok still without broadband having switched over to Sky on Fri. Still saying fault on line but can't say what or when it will be dealt with. Not sure what to do now but can't continue waiting for them to resolve. Sky are ringing me every day to update me but have no information to give! My vodafone was working perfectly right up to the changeover so I don't understand how there can be a fault in the line.

ARGH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Dcully wrote: »
    Jaysus im expecting speed fluctuations for the first 10 days but im dropping from 7mb to less than 2 mb dload speeds after 7 pm every night,pings are fine however.
    With eircom i had solid 3mb all the time anytime of the day.
    Would sky be doing testing at peak hours?
    If i was experiencing fluctuations during the day id put it down to sky testing and the 10 day period but only happening after 7 pm concerns me.

From being able to stream in HD on youtube to constant buffering @ 240 quality setting is a load of****e.

I had planned to get myself netflix, no point if its going to be like this in the evenings.
    Granted the 10 days isnt up yet but slowdown ONLY after 7pm is a major concern.

Exactly the same situation dcully.
    Steady steady all day - then like a switch between 7 and 8 - speeds drop.
    Rang sky - and they ran a test and said my line failed. They are ringing back tomorrow evening, when I have my laptop (they want to check again when I have a wired connection to the hub).

My exchange is not ngb enabled nor is it LLU
    My fear is that they will say its contention ratio - peak times and all that.
    They didn't mention anything about the 10 day testing thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,987 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My speed has been levelling out at 2.97MB - 2.98MB any time I've checked it (in the evenings)..

.. about the same as I was getting with Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Plugged in router, works like a charm. Seems they activated early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'm still getting speeds of 10.5mb, yippee. Go Sky!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Is there any usage calculator to track usage? I know it is an unlimited package but I'd still like to track how many GB I get through in the month.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Is there any usage calculator to track usage? I know it is an unlimited package but I'd still like to track how many GB I get through in the month.

ive being using net meter i had it cos i was on a 70gb with vd.when i used to check on the vd website how much i had used it was close enough to what they where saying give or take a gig or two.

its only good for the laptop or desktop that its installed on,its not connected to the network so if your downloading games for the xbox or ps3 it doesnt count.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Bandwidth-Tools/NetMeter.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭olympicweights

Does anyone know what the outgoing mail server settings are with sky broadband, as I was with vodafone and now it is nolonger working since I switched over? I did some searches and found a reply where they can only handle sky email accounts?? Does this make any sense?

Advertisement