Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Does anyone know what the outgoing mail server settings are with sky broadband, as I was with vodafone and now it is nolonger working since I switched over? I did some searches and found a reply where they can only handle sky email accounts?? Does this make any sense?

you could try smtp.tools.sky.com

as per this page:
    http://help.sky.com/email/setting-up-sky-email/using-pop3-or-imap-with-sky-email?country=ie

sky email (as per the sky site) actually uses gmail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Stinicker wrote: »
    Is there any usage calculator to track usage? I know it is an unlimited package but I'd still like to track how many GB I get through in the month.

I'm using networx - free & fairly detailed

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

if you only have one pc/laptop with a few users it will monitor all users & can give you a breakdown per user

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Anyone know what the primary and secondary DNS are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Anyone know what the primary and secondary DNS are?

from skyhub
    Domain Name Server 192.111.39.1, 192.111.39.4

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭olympicweights

you could try smtp.tools.sky.com

as per this page:
    http://help.sky.com/email/setting-up-sky-email/using-pop3-or-imap-with-sky-email?country=ie

sky email (as per the sky site) actually uses gmail

Got it sorted, thanks, I needed to sort out sky email address and then use it in the advanced settings with password.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

I'm currently on to Sky's online chat customer support. My activation date was yesterday (29th Jan) and this morning its still Awaiting Activation. I'm told that since its still in that state that I should assume that my previous provider is still supplying my BB and phone (i.e. Vodafone). I have not received an email to say that the expected activation date has changed.

Saying that, my Sky Hub has been plugged in since Sat afternoon and is working away fine... and speedtest.net says I'm connecting using Esat Telecommunications Limited.

Anyone seeing the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭positron

Ordered on 16th, broadband and line was activated on 28th, and eventually got my hub today. I used to get 2.5 mbps with Vodafone for last 4-5 years, and since switching over I was getting 3.4 mbps with Vodafone, and now with Sky hub I am getting 3.5 mbps - same really. Nice looking hub.

Sky rang to check if I get the hub and if everything is okay - good marks for professionalism and promptness after intial cock up, but then again, that's the whole point of the trial run, isn't it?

PS: From Sky Hub:

DownStream Connection Speed 4092
    UpStream Connection Speed 380

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Got My hub yesterday. Yesterday getting about 3mb. Tried it this morning and am getting 6mb. So far sky kept their promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

My activation date is Feb 4th.
    Got an e mail this morning to tell me my broadband is now live.
    How time flies :eek:
    I will try the hub when I get a chance tomorrow.

I'm still on Vodafone at the moment.
    Looked on the Vodafone site a while age to see what my broadband usage was & I got
    "There is no broadband on this land line."
    Kind of strange since I'm still using Vodafone broadband.:P

I wondered what would happen if I kept going like this ?
    I suppose the broadband will just stop at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

amdaley28 wrote: »
    My activation date is Feb 4th.
    Got an e mail this morning to tell me my broadband is now live.
    How time flies :eek:
    I will try the hub when I get a chance tomorrow.

I'm still on Vodafone at the moment.
    Looked on the Vodafone site a while age to see what my broadband sage was & I got
    "There is no broadband on this land line."
    Kind of strange since I'm still using Vodafone broadband.:P

I wondered what would happen if I kept going like this ?
    I suppose the broadband will just stop at some stage.

Same here, I can't access my Eircom account and my activation date is the same as yours. I have my hub, though, I just want to download out of next month's download cap so I'm not setting it up for another 6 days. Wouldn't be surprised if Eircom cut me off soon, though.

• Advertisement

Got My hub yesterday. Yesterday getting about 3mb. Tried it this morning and am getting 6mb. So far sky kept their promise.

Hmm. my speed test below, only set it up last night

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2473130053.png

Let's hope it improves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Dcully wrote: »
    Jaysus im expecting speed fluctuations for the first 10 days but im dropping from 7mb to less than 2 mb dload speeds after 7 pm every night,pings are fine however.
    With eircom i had solid 3mb all the time anytime of the day.
    Would sky be doing testing at peak hours?
    If i was experiencing fluctuations during the day id put it down to sky testing and the 10 day period but only happening after 7 pm concerns me.

From being able to stream in HD on youtube to constant buffering @ 240 quality setting is a load of****e.

I had planned to get myself netflix, no point if its going to be like this in the evenings.
    Granted the 10 days isnt up yet but slowdown ONLY after 7pm is a major concern.

Are your pings rising when your speeds drop?
    My pings are staying the same, but speeds are dropping - which to me looks like some kind of throttling rather than congestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Hmm. my speed test below, only set it up last night

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2473130053.png

Let's hope it improves

I'm sure it will. Who were you with before & what were you getting ?

Don't forget to leave your sky hub switched on because sky will be testing your line for about ten days to see what your line can take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Was getting 3-4mbps when I first switched it on at 6pm last night.

Got 8mb then last night around midnight.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    I'm sure it will. Who were you with before & what were you getting ?

Don't forget to leave your sky hub switched on because sky will be testing your line for about ten days to see what your line can take.

I was with vodafone but I have no idea what the speed was. Sky doesn't seem any slower but I was told the line could handle 7Mb

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Are your pings rising when your speeds drop?
    My pings are staying the same, but speeds are dropping - which to me looks like some kind of throttling rather than congestion.

Yeah im thinking the same as my pings are perfect at all times.
    If they are throttling they are even doing so for speeds tests because thats all im really doing atm.
    If you look at the details on my sky page they say they may slow down downloads of large files,torrents etc while keeping things ok for streaming and gaming.
    The thing is i couldnt stream anything on youtube with quality higher than 240.
    Can they actually throttle specific things like file downloads and torrents yet allow gaming and streaming? if so how do they do this?

From the mysky page.

"If you are a Sky Broadband Connect customer, certain online applications may run more slowly during peak times. We give priority to browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging, gaming and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). So high-bandwidth applications such as peer-to-peer file-sharing, large file downloads and newsgroups, may run more slowly. We monitor bandwidth to avoid anyone's use having a negative effect on other customers. A small number of customers who regularly download large files at peak times may have restrictions placed on their account to reduce download speeds, but we remove these restrictions when the Connect network is not busy."

Was getting 3-4mbps when I first switched it on at 6pm last night.

Got 8mb then last night around midnight.

Sounds exactly like the problem im having and another guy who lives near me.
    See above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Whats the number for the Irish Broadband call center???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mine went from bad to worse.
    I was gerting about 4 -7 mb but with a lot of drop out. last night it went to 1.5 - 2.5 :(

SKy has escalated it to t2 and the exchange to see whats going on.
    The only good thing is the follow up. Got a call last night as promised with follow up to say they had no update for me and would call when they did.

Will wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭positron

MJ434 wrote: »
    Whats the number for the Irish Broadband call center???

0818 762 917

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

Got it sorted, thanks, I needed to sort out sky email address and then use it in the advanced settings with password.

What did you do to get this sorted ? I have an iol address with vodafone and would like to still use this address with Sky.

Salty Dog wrote: »
    What did you do to get this sorted ? I have an iol address with vodafone and would like to still use this address with Sky.

I setup a new email address with sky email using the sky username supplied with the broadband and a new password.

In outlook use smtp.tools.sky.com in the outgoing mail server box

In more settings

choose outgoing server and click Log on using

Insert new sky email address as username ie ******@sky.com and password

In advanced change outgoing server (SMTP) to 465 and SSL

and hopefully it will work!

Yeah im thinking the same as my pings are perfect at all times.
    If they are throttling they are even doing so for speeds tests because thats all im really doing atm.
    If you look at the details on my sky page they say they may slow down downloads of large files,torrents etc while keeping things ok for streaming and gaming.
    The thing is i couldnt stream anything on youtube with quality higher than 240.
    Can they actually throttle specific things like file downloads and torrents yet allow gaming and streaming? if so how do they do this?

Apologies - throttling is perhaps the wrong term.
    My use is all legal :) .... Netflix streaming etc. I notice the quality drops from HD to SD - and SpeedTests (while not streaming) are coming in as low as 1.5 mbps

It's a sudden drop for a few hours

I have a call with Sky later - hopefully they will chase Eircom on the issue.

I setup a new email address with sky email using the sky username supplied with the broadband and a new password.

Thanks for that. Does this mean you're using xxx@sky.com now though rather than xxx@iol.ie or whatever you were using prior to the switch ? Apologies if I've misunderstood.

No still using my iolfree and .com email addresses but couldn't send from outlook using my iol setup, so you'll need to set up a sky email address to work around the problem

Apologies - throttling is perhaps the wrong term.
    My use is all legal :) .... Netflix streaming etc. I notice the quality drops from HD to SD - and SpeedTests (while not streaming) are coming in as low as 1.5 mbps

It's a sudden drop for a few hours

I have a call with Sky later - hopefully they will chase Eircom on the issue.

Yeah exact same issue as myself,im updating my Tera game right now and getting 700kbps to 800kbps as i have been all the time during the day but from 7-11 when i try to stream or dload im getting like your self only about 1.5 mb ie 145kbps or so but pings are as they were dirung the day.
    Its very strange indeed as if it were congestion it would slow down pings too,also with eircom there was no congestion so unless we have a huge amount of new users in the area in the last week i dont think its congestion.

No still using my iolfree and .com email addresses but couldn't send from outlook using my iol setup, so you'll need to set up a sky email address to work around the problem

Thanks. I'll give it a go this evening.

Yeah exact same issue as myself,im updating my Tera game right now and getting 700kbps to 800kbps as i have been all the time during the day but from 7-11 when i try to stream or dload im getting like your self only about 1.5 mb ie 145kbps or so but pings are as they were dirung the day.
    Its very strange indeed as if it were congestion it would slow down pings too,also with eircom there was no congestion so unless we have a huge amount of new users in the area in the last week i dont think its congestion.

Were you getting the same 700kbps to 800kbps with Eircom? Maybe the issue is indeed on the Sky end if you were. Have you called them?

I was on a capped 3mb line with Vodafone - speed was constant at 2.7 mbps. so I have nothing to compare it with.

Were you getting the same 700kbps to 800kbps with Eircom? Maybe the issue is indeed on the Sky end if you were. Have you called them?

I was on a capped 3mb line with Vodafone - speed was constant at 2.7 mbps. so I have nothing to compare it with.

No i was only on 3mb with eircom and i got consistant speeds.
    Thats why im convinced its a sky issue or an issue with our exchange.

Funnily enough i just got a call from sky to see how im finding the service.
    Ive informed them of the issue and they said they will look into it and call me back later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

BrianHal wrote: »
    I'm currently on to Sky's online chat customer support. My activation date was yesterday (29th Jan) and this morning its still Awaiting Activation. I'm told that since its still in that state that I should assume that my previous provider is still supplying my BB and phone (i.e. Vodafone). I have not received an email to say that the expected activation date has changed.

Saying that, my Sky Hub has been plugged in since Sat afternoon and is working away fine... and speedtest.net says I'm connecting using Esat Telecommunications Limited.

Anyone seeing the same?

I'm in the same boat. Activation was to be 29th. No email. Still with Voda. Did they give any indication when you would be up & running?

Edit: Rang them. The best estimate I could get was 10 - 14 Feb:(

Advertisement