Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

I'm in the same boat. Activation was to be 29th. No email. Still with Voda. Did they give any indication when you would be up & running?

No, I was told to call 0818 719819 to get a more accurate update.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well sky got back to me and said its the exchange at fault and to be precise the BT equipment in the exchange.
    They are aware of the issue as a few more people rang about it,they hope to take over from BT in the future in terms of doing their own work with gear in exchanges, he couldnt give me a date of possible improvement however.

Im very disappointed tbh as it more or less rules out getting netflix :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

BrianHal wrote: »
    No, I was told to call 0818 719819 to get a more accurate update.

Are they not having you on? Thats the main Sky number. I reckon you will get better updates from 0818 762917 and taking option 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Dcully wrote: »
    Well sky got back to me and said its the exchange at fault and to be precise the BT equipment in the exchange.
    They are aware of the issue as a few more people rang about it,they hope to take over from BT in the future in terms of doing their own work with gear in exchanges, he couldnt give me a date of possible improvement however.

Im very disappointed tbh as it more or less rules out getting netflix :(

B*lls .... Is your exchange on this list?
    http://irelandoffline.org/2012/10/sky-broadband/

Mine isn't though, and the problem seems very very similar.
    Also, Netflix still works fine for me when speeds drop to 1.5mbps, albeit in SD only.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    B*lls .... Is your exchange on this list?
    http://irelandoffline.org/2012/10/sky-broadband/

Mine isn't though, and the problem seems very very similar.
    Also, Netflix still works fine for me when speeds drop to 1.5mbps, albeit in SD only.

No we are not on that list, i checked previously too.

A friend of mine rang sky there too to add to the others that rang and they said the same as they told me.

• Advertisement

No we are not on that list, i checked previously too.

A friend of mine rand sky there too to add to the others that rand and they said the same as they told me.

Are you on the Clonlara exchange?
    Are you paying the €20 per month charge?

Sounds like a bit of a cop out from Sky instead of chasing Eircom (not BT) to sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Activated my Broadband yesterday, and connected my Sky Router, all working perfectly, getting 3.7 as opposed to 2.6 from vodafone, so all good so far.

However... I want to reassign the routers IP to 192.168.1.1, and reserve some IPs to match up with my existing settings, SKY have said not to turn off the Router for the first 10 days or so as they are testing the lines ability, does restarting it really make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hojphotography

Anybody know when Sky is going to launch this officially yet?? Deciding between upc or sky for broadband and phone. I hate limits on broadband!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Anybody know when Sky is going to launch this officially yet?? Deciding between upc or sky for broadband and phone. I hate limits on broadband!
    I dont think anyone knows for sure but the feedback from people talking to Sky reps is suggesting April. In saying that the same Sky reps dont know for sure either.

and is it REALLY unlimited broadband, or is it "unlimited" to 500gb a month like upc. I listen to online radio a couple of hours a day and even though this is streaming its still counted toward the monthly limit. im concerned about this if i join upc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

and is it REALLY unlimited broadband, or is it "unlimited" to 500gb a month like upc. I listen to online radio a couple of hours a day and even though this is streaming its still counted toward the monthly limit. im concerned about this if i join upc.

500 GB is a huge amount. I use uTorrent everyday and I've yet to reach 250 GB. Audio files are barely a blip on a 500 GB cap.

1 hour of radio = about 25 - 30 Mb.

1024 Mb = 1 GB

Do the math.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

As above, online radio isn't gonna even dent 500Gb, but when I ordered I specifically asked what the "fair usage" DL amount was, and the guy specifically said that there was no fair usage limit, it's genuinely unlimited BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

As Ste05 says, it is genuinely unlimited. There is no mention of any fair usage cap in the terms and conditions.

ok 500gb seems to be promising, because id hate to be i a position that im counting every bloody image and ad on the page, because as i said i hate limits, thats why back in the oul dial up days i went with Ireland on line where you could be on all weekend long and off peak if you wanted. What are the speeds on sky again and do you get the hard sell from them if you let them ring you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

o What are the speeds on sky again and do you get the hard sell from them if you let them ring you?

The speeds are depend on your line. And a hard sell? At €10 a month for unlimited broadband and free evening and weekend calls, you should be hard buying :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Streaming radio is not going to affect your data useage.

With 500GBs of data you could listen to 3 hours streaming a day and your monthly allowance would last you 7,450 days or over 20 years. 500GB is a lot of internet useage. 99% of home users in the country wouldn't go near it.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Are you on the Clonlara exchange?
    Are you paying the €20 per month charge?

Sounds like a bit of a cop out from Sky instead of chasing Eircom (not BT) to sort it out

No im in Monasterevin.
    Speeds right now are great, over 8 mb.
    Probably dip after 7 :(

If you on a non LLU exchange are they not just reselling the same Eircom service you always had?

I'm on a LLU exchange, and it is slightly poorer than Eircom. Eircom NGB was rock solid mid 40s ping and 10Mbit download all the time. My ping is now 88 and the download speed about 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

No still using my iolfree and .com email addresses but couldn't send from outlook using my iol setup, so you'll need to set up a sky email address to work around the problem

Thanks for that. Got the iol address working by following what you suggested. Oddly, no mails to xxxx@sky.com are getting through to the mail client (get to server alright) but mails to xxxx@gmail.com are getting through to where I'd expect the sky ones on the client.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Hi Guys.

After being one of the first in the country to sign up, I've suddenly noticed a woeful decline in the speed of this service.

Upon setting it up, my download speed was always a quite consistent 6-7mps.7

Its now, 1.5-2.5mps :mad:

I can see a few of the rest of you are experiencing similar issues, I sincerely hope they didnt lure us in with speedy service to begin with......

I think a call to sky with a threat if tearing up contract may be in order.

• Advertisement

Back to 1.7 mb speeds again this evening :(

Back to 1.7 mb speeds again this evening :(

Mine too - had a call from from Sky to say that my line had failed one of their tests and said the issue was escalated to the line wholesalers and they would give me an update in a day or 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'm still on 10.5mb and ping is consistently quite low. Really happy so far.

However, am having some issues with the ipad. We had an eircom crappy zyxel router but the ipad kept dropping the wifi connection (while using ipad I'd have to go into settings and reconnect to our wireless network every 5-10 mins) so we got a TP Link router a few months ago. Worked a dream, never lost the connection on ipad again. Until now. Obviously the sky hub is the problem. Anybody else having this and if so, any suggestions to fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Latest from here is that the Sky Hub arrived yesterday and the service was activated today, four days ahead of schedule. Here is the results since setting it up a couple of hours ago...

2474554753.png

Twil be interesting to see if it stays that way considering some people are experiencing declines in speed. If anything I am expecting it to increase as they put more binaries through the pipe in my general direction over the next week or so...

Faultless service so far, ordering, delivery, communication etc. was all exemplary. Thumbs up to Sky, middle finger to Vodafone!

Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I just connected my new Sky hub and there's an improvement over what I was getting. I know the most I can get is 3Mb.

Before with Vodafone Ping 25ms. Download 1.59Mb. Upload 0.32Mb.
    After fitting Sky hub. Ping 44ms. Download 1.92Mb. Upload 0.32Mb.

2474627687.png

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

I've been up and running with the sky hub about 5 days now. Was previously on 5mb broadband with Vodafone. Apparently 5mb was the most my line could handle but Sky said they could give me 6mb broadband.

I'm Impressed with my download speeds so far but the worrying thing is my ping. I've yet to see it under 100. Anybody else having any problems with ping? Here is my speedtest result.

2474953531.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I've been getting disruption of service, ie; router restarting for the last two nights from approx 11pm to midnight. Not sure what it is, could be coincidence. Stays down for about 5mins then the router automatically reboots and it comes back again.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Hi Guys.

After being one of the first in the country to sign up, I've suddenly noticed a woeful decline in the speed of this service.

Upon setting it up, my download speed was always a quite consistent 6-7mps.7

Its now, 1.5-2.5mps :mad:

I can see a few of the rest of you are experiencing similar issues, I sincerely hope they didnt lure us in with speedy service to begin with......

I think a call to sky with a threat if tearing up contract may be in order.
    Great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Great idea.
    It seems as though the lad may have been sorted -
    Ghandee wrote:
    Edit, its unexpectedly returned to normal

LINK

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    It seems as though the lad may have been sorted -

LINK

Looking at the time of his post (23:18) - it looks like the time everything returns to normal

I hope Sky chase Eircom on this, cause it seems to be a big problem nationwide (rural exchanges mostly) and not limited to any particular exchange.

I also hope that Sky do have a good technical presence - the technical person I was talking to (although very nice to deal with), wasn't actually technical at all.

Advertisement