Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Your correct about rural exchanges and this issue Keith, seems rather widespread.
    Your most likely also correct about that guys speeds coming back to normal after 11pm.

What i will say is i can still game between 7-11 pm as pings stay solid, my wife streamed stuff on Hulu lastnight while i watched the Arsenal Liverpool match on tv and it was flawless even though dload speeds dropped to 2mb.
    I think i might be ok even between 7-11 if i go with netflix.
    If i need to download anything large ill do so out of these hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,987 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Trying to get a more up-to-date status of my order from Sky:
    • Ordered on 15th January
    • Says I'd be actived by the end of the 30th January
    • Sky Hub arrived on the 24th
    • Was set up (and working on broadband) on the 27th January (broadband for my old provider - Vodafone - was still working)
    • My Sky account, as of now, still reports 'awaiting activation' for broadband and phone
    • Says my "equipment was despatched and will be delivered within 3-5 working days from: 27/01/2013"
    • And also says "We are sorry there has been a delay with your order. We are working to progress your order however, if you are still seeing this message after five or more days" which has been there for the last 10 or so days.
    More worryingly, I log onto my Vodafone account and all is still active (my "Vodafone at Home" Bundle and call package).

Am in work so trying to chat to their rep on the Sky Chat website and got this from a Sky rep when trying to check the status of my order:
    For Ireland, we do not provide Broadband and Sky Talk services, can you confirm if the order was accepted?

For fecks sake! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Basq wrote: »

Am in work so trying to chat to their rep on the Sky Chat website and got this from a Sky rep when trying to check the status of my order:

Would be interesting to know if the chat agents are in Ireland or UK , which would explain why they don't know about the trial here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

there in the uk i was talking to one of them the last day to see if they could do any thing about my download speed iam still in side the 10 days so they are testing it but it says on the site that there no testing on line

Your Connection Details

Line testing is not currently in progress on your telephone line.

We continually look for ways to improve the quality of your broadband connection. Please check back here for updates.

i then tried to get a sky plus out of them for free,so she switched me to the tv upgrade section and all there prices where in pounds.
    dident get a upgrade for free they wanted 60euro i can get one for free if i take the hd pack i dont want the hd pack tho

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

Basq wrote: »
    Trying to get a more up-to-date status of my order from Sky:
    • Ordered on 15th January
    • Says I'd be actived by the end of the 30th January
    • Sky Hub arrived on the 24th
    • Was set up (and working on broadband) on the 27th January (broadband for my old provider - Vodafone - was still working)
    • My Sky account, as of now, still reports 'awaiting activation' for broadband and phone
    • Says my "equipment was despatched and will be delivered within 3-5 working days from: 27/01/2013"
    • And also says "We are sorry there has been a delay with your order. We are working to progress your order however, if you are still seeing this message after five or more days" which has been there for the last 10 or so days.
    More worryingly, I log onto my Vodafone account and all is still active (my "Vodafone at Home" Bundle and call package).

I was on to the online chat gang a few days ago and after they did some digging into my situation and when they were not able to come up with a solution then there seemed to be a "computer says no" response after that.
    I think they're all in UK and not really sure what's going on across the water, it only seems to be the dedicated Ireland call centre knows about this.

• Advertisement

BrianHal wrote: »
    I think they're all in UK and not really sure what's going on across the water, it only seems to be the dedicated Ireland call centre knows about this.
    Yeah, he gave me the number for the provisioning department in the UK after that...

.. I just said I've a lo-call number I'll dial here first.

Will give them a call in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

The online chat is terribad I've found. Stick to phoning!

Ste05 wrote: »
    The online chat is terribad I've found. Stick to phoning!
    Yeah, would normally phone but was mad busy on calls in work..

.. so could only manage online chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

got mine up and running eventually!!

but for a line that can support 15mps I certainly ain't getting them!!

2476616923.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

PinkFly wrote: »

2476616923.png

Give it a while to get upto speed; mine was the same for the first few hours but there is also a definite problem of throttling speed between 7 - 11pm and where I'd normally get 7mb I get between 2 -3mb during this time. Are you rural or city? My package is €27.50/month from a rural exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just got another call from sky.
    I'm still getting 2.5. Been the same for the last 3 days in addition to the continued dropouts.

HE was onto the exchange and they're saying everything is ok.
    He'll try them again and if no resolution will send a new hub.

They're gearing up for more calls next week.
    The business plan is to offer value as against speed so they can compete with UPC.

Wha-hoo, Sky BB went active today and after a lack of service for a small few hours I'm getting this:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 16377 kbps 1020 kbps
    Line Attenuation 27.0 dB 11.5 dB
    Noise Margin 5.8 dB 11.11 dB

It's a bit of an improvement over VFs 8meg delivering 6.4. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Stinicker wrote: »

Give it a while to get upto speed; mine was the same for the first few hours but there is also a definite problem of throttling speed between 7 - 11pm and where I'd normally get 7mb I get between 2 -3mb during this time. Are you rural or city? My package is €27.50/month from a rural exchange.

I got it up and running on Tuesday, even though my activation date was last week. Im paying the €17.50 so on a city exchange I presume! Based in Drogheda, was trying to watch a YouTube video and was wondering why there was so much buffering, so did the test. I will have to check it in the morning and hopefully will get better results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right, I got my hub last week together with the welcome pack by post and a similar email all telling me I would be active on or before today but I haven't heard a cheep since. I know that a lot of people just went ahead and connected the hub in any event and some are working but Im waiting for them to tell me that Im good to go with both the broadband and calls.

So for those that waited for further contact how did it come around? Did they call, email or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

PinkFly wrote: »

2476616923.png

You're a good bit away from the server thats obviously going to impact the speeds you're getting.

Good server tends to be about 50 not 100

muffler wrote: »
    Right, I got my hub last week together with the welcome pack by post and a similar email all telling me I would be active on or before today but I haven't heard a cheep since. I know that a lot of people just went ahead and connected the hub in any event and some are working but Im waiting for them to tell me that Im good to go with both the broadband and calls.

So for those that waited for further contact how did it come around? Did they call, email or what?

I got my hub last week, connected it on Sat afternoon. Speeds were the same as VF. I got my activated email today, lost BB connectivity for a small few hours and when it came back I had Sky BB service. The phone apparently isn't active yet and a few people have mentioned previously that the phone service arrives along a day or two later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

BrianHal wrote: »
    I got my hub last week, connected it on Sat afternoon. Speeds were the same as VF. I got my activated email today, lost BB connectivity for a small few hours and when it came back I had Sky BB service. The phone apparently isn't active yet and a few people have mentioned previously that the phone service arrives along a day or two later.
    Ah, they send an activation email then. I'll hold back on connecting the hub until I get that.

When I was signing up the Sky rep did say that the phone switchover would be a couple of days after the broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Just wonder I'm still unclear do I have to contact Eircom to cancel or do I do as Sky says and not contact them.Im worried that if I don't contact them they will keep sending bills . Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

molby wrote: »
    Just wonder I'm still unclear do I have to contact Eircom to cancel or do I do as Sky says and not contact them.Im worried that if I don't contact them they will keep sending bills . Thanks

Leave all transfer procedures to Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Mine's still cutting out every night at arround 11.30pm, last night speeds dropped to below 1meg, then completely cut out for about 15mins, then back again and speeds were 11meg.

Hope its not like this for too long more! Activation date was Feb 4th so probably my own fault for hooking it up early :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Dashano

Is there a pricing list for SKY BB + Phone. Can't see it on their website.

Dashano wrote: »
    Is there a pricing list for SKY BB + Phone. Can't see it on their website.
    It's only a trial people are on... packages will be announced to the public in a month or two.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Mine's still cutting out every night at arround 11.30pm, last night speeds dropped to below 1meg, then completely cut out for about 15mins, then back again and speeds were 11meg.

Hope its not like this for too long more! Activation date was Feb 4th so probably my own fault for hooking it up early :D

Doubt it, quite a few of us seeing slowdown at peak hours.
    Im droppping from 7-8 mb to 2 mb every night, although lastnight it only dropped to about 5mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Please forgive really stupid question but I can't find info anywhere:D

I've just switched to Sky having always been with Eircom. My e-mail is joebloggs@eircom.net will I now have to set up a new mail address or will I continue to have access to my eircom e-mails?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Claregirl wrote: »
    Please forgive really stupid question but I can't find info anywhere:D

I've just switched to Sky having always been with Eircom. My e-mail is joebloggs@eircom.net will I now have to set up a new mail address or will I continue to have access to my eircom e-mails?

I asked the Sky agents that very question, and they said you continue to use your normal email address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Dcully wrote: »
    Doubt it, quite a few of us seeing slowdown at peak hours.
    Im droppping from 7-8 mb to 2 mb every night, although lastnight it only dropped to about 5mb.

Mine was the same last - only dropped about 1mb off top speed
    Although later (around 11:30), it dropped a bit more.

All good this morning then of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

They seem to be doing most testing around 11.30pm then. thank god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

my parents BB was switched off from sky last thursday week from eircom, and was meant to go live on the 29th , still nothing. rang sky number 0818 762917 since the 29th, they cannot give me any sort of an answer why it's not turned on. also girl i have just spoke to said i have to wait upto 72hrs for call back about my situation from their engineers ?? I told her i had first rang Tuesday, then Wednesday and on so they have had more than their 72hrs. Getting annoying at this stage, as my parents do use the internet a fair bit and they are giving me endless hassle about why is it not turned on and asking will they just move back to eircom as they had no problems with them over the years. It is a trial , and it is cheap, but this is 9 days without BB , for what was meant to be a fairly seamless switch over.

• Advertisement

Girlfriend just rang me..

.. bloody orange smiley face on Sky Hub.

Need to ring Sky.

Advertisement