Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Basq wrote: »
    Girlfriend just rang me..

.. bloody orange smiley face on Sky Hub.

Need to ring Sky.

Had that once but a restart sorted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,987 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Basq wrote: »
    Trying to get a more up-to-date status of my order from Sky:
    • Ordered on 15th January
    • Says I'd be actived by the end of the 30th January
    • Sky Hub arrived on the 24th
    • Was set up (and working on broadband) on the 27th January (broadband for my old provider - Vodafone - was still working)
    • My Sky account, as of now, still reports 'awaiting activation' for broadband and phone
    • Says my "equipment was despatched and will be delivered within 3-5 working days from: 27/01/2013"
    • And also says "We are sorry there has been a delay with your order. We are working to progress your order however, if you are still seeing this message after five or more days" which has been there for the last 10 or so days.
    More worryingly, I log onto my Vodafone account and all is still active (my "Vodafone at Home" Bundle and call package).
    Yep, turns out there was a reason for this.

Despite my broadband working just fine for 5 days with the Sky Hub, I was actually using it through my previous provider Vodafone (which explains why my Sky account had "awaiting activation" and why Vodafone were still reporting an active bundle).

Have only just been switched over to Sky now and have just gotten a "Gigantic news - your Sky experience has begun" e-mail from Sky.

So do bear it in mind that just cos your Sky Hub is working doesn't mean your you're not using your old provider.
    Dcully wrote: »
    Had that once but a restart sorted it.
    Was wary of restarting it due to the whole 10 day thing.. but back online now after a quick call to Sky.. as above!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

2smiggy wrote: »
    my parents BB was switched off from sky last thursday week from eircom, and was meant to go live on the 29th
    Do you mean that Eircom switched them off or that they used the Sky hub before the setup date?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Sky finally working! Only took 6 days with no broadband to sort out. How do I see what speed etc I am getting?

Sky finally working! Only took 6 days with no broadband to sort out. How do I see what speed etc I am getting?
    Speedtest.net is fairly popular. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

used speedtest.net as saw others had used

Ping is 73
    Upload is 0.63
    Download is 11.89

Is this good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

http://www.speedtest.net/

Test it a few times and it will give you a good idea. 6 in the evening has very high contention, so expect speeds to be slower than what your line can actually handle.

Depends on what you had before now but its fairly decent and a lot of people would be delighted to have half those speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

After all my rejoicing last night with 13meg download speeds, I seem to have run into the same issue that a few others have. I'm currently registering 2.5meg download with 115ms ping... at 8:40pm... rush hour on Sky internet service??? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 piotrasd

Hi, there is any download allowance limit ?? (SKY)

Im on UPC 100mb but 500GB (where download and upload is counted together) is little small for me.

Or maybe somebody know in ireleand some other good provider with bigger download allowance or no limit ??\

Thanks for answer

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I am not throttled this evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,987 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Steady connection of 59ms ping and 2.97MB - 2.98MB download speed while with Vodafone.

Checked about 6pm this evening with Sky and got 35mb ping and 3.38MB download speed.

Just checked there and got 62ms ping and 1.80MB download speed! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

piotrasd wrote: »
    Hi, there is any download allowance limit ?? (SKY)

Im on UPC 100mb but 500GB (where download and upload is counted together) is little small for me.

Or maybe somebody know in ireleand some other good provider with bigger download allowance or no limit ??\

Thanks for answer

Well, UPC are miles ahead of any other broadband provider here. You would be mad to ditch it. You should try and negotiate a higher limit with them, at least cost to you at least.

Edit: I see on the UPC site that the 100mbs tarriff now has unlimited downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Not trying to jinx myself but my speeds have veen pretty constant with Sky since I switched, roughly the same as with Vodafone.

Download seems to be constantly around 5.2. On that basic enough download speed earlier, i was able to download a large torrent and stream a film on Netflix in HD simultaneously.

Heres a test I just did:

2479491929.png

Some stats from my hub:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 6141 kbps 508 kbps
    Line Attenuation 46.0 dB 22.9 dB
    Noise Margin 5.9 dB 25.25 dB

Noise Margin right on the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

iam the same getting the same as i was with vd

2479567867.png

76502798.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I do wish people would wait until after the ten day settling period before they pass judgement on their speeds and tear up their contracts. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

I play online gaming so regularly talking to people in UK, and the majority of them have between 20-50mb and even upto 100mb broadband!

Price could be almost half what we're paying for Sky and we think that's very cheap compared to eircom , Vodafone etc.

Howcome our lines can't handle speed like them? :(

I play online gaming so regularly talking to people in UK, and the majority of them have between 20-50mb and even upto 100mb broadband!

Price could be almost half what we're paying for Sky and we think that's very cheap compared to eircom , Vodafone etc.

Without turning into a rant... if the government did t sell the phone lines along with the service provider part of eircom all those years ago, then we may have had investment in the national BB infrastructure. For years, for whatever reasons, eircom hasn't put money into the actual wiring that provides the service. As such, we're all rodgered until either (a) eircom starts in invest in physical infra, (b) someone else starts laying copper or fibre or (c) the government starts to invest in the wiring. Now which of those do you think is actually going to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Can you link to these 100Mbit packages fr €5 per month please?

There are plenty people in the UK on dodgey DSL lines too.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Are the people seeing bad ping times and download speeds in the evening on NGB exchanges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

lockup35 wrote: »
    Are the people seeing bad ping times and download speeds in the evening on NGB exchanges?

Not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So my order with Sky was accepted on 18th Jan and the hub arrived early last week with a live date of 4th Feb. Then on Thursday I got an e-mail stating that my order had been accepted on 31st January :(

I called to find out what had happened and they told me that my original order had been rejected. It was rejected because the customer name field on the order system can only take 20 characters and longer entries are rejected.

I found this odd as it's not as if its the early days of the trial. I understand that it is a trial designed to find any problems with the service when it goes properly live but did it really take that long to discover this particular issue ?

greendom wrote: »
    So my order with Sky was accepted on 18th Jan and the hub arrived early last week with a live date of 4th Feb. Then on Thursday I got an e-mail stating that my order had been accepted on 31st January :(

I called to find out what had happened and they told me that my original order had been rejected. It was rejected because the customer name field on the order system can only take 20 characters and longer entries are rejected.

I found this odd as it's not as if its the early days of the trial. I understand that it is a trial designed to find any problems with the service when it goes properly live but did it really take that long to discover this particular issue ?

I had something like that happen as well. When I queried it, Sky told me it was a first name mismatch, so Voda's system rejected the port request.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

BrianHal wrote: »

Without turning into a rant... if the government did t sell the phone lines along with the service provider part of eircom all those years ago, then we may have had investment in the national BB infrastructure. For years, for whatever reasons, eircom hasn't put money into the actual wiring that provides the service. As such, we're all rodgered until either (a) eircom starts in invest in physical infra, (b) someone else starts laying copper or fibre or (c) the government starts to invest in the wiring. Now which of those do you think is actually going to happen?

Yeah thanks , I presumed it was something like that. **** this country anyway!!! :(

Never said anything about £5.... I've often saw broadband from £7.50 a month for over 8mb I believe tho

Yeah thanks , I presumed it was something like that. **** this country anyway!!! :(

Never said anything about £5.... I've often saw broadband from £7.50 a month for over 8mb I believe tho

Broadband only from Sky cost £7.50 a month for up to 8 meg and unlimited downloads. The customer also has to pay around £13 line rental that is charged by BT.

The Sky hub is completely useless if you want to upload torrents. It won't allow people to access my uTorrent so I can seed my torrents. It's possible to port-forward but I couldn't get it working, I rang Sky there and customer support they can't help because they don't want to accept responsibility for what's shared, but told me to do some research on port-forwarding by Googling it. Back to square one.

The Sky hub is completely useless if you want to upload torrents. It won't allow people to access my uTorrent so I can seed my torrents. It's possible to port-forward but I couldn't get it working, I rang Sky there and customer support they can't help because they don't want to accept responsibility for what's shared, but told me to do some research on port-forwarding by Googling it. Back to square one.

Am I understanding you correctly when you say that you rang Sky Customer Support to ask them why your torrent uploads aren't fully or correctly available to any joe soap on the internet to copy from you?

Or did I not read the post correctly??

BrianHal wrote: »
    Am I understanding you correctly when you say that you rang Sky Customer Support to ask them why your torrent uploads aren't fully or correctly available to any joe soap on the internet to copy from you?

Or did I not read the post correctly??

Well, broadband support. I asked him how come people cannot connect to my uTorrent client so I can seed to them. I know it's something got to do with the firewall and I mentioned port-forwarding to him, but he said he can't help because they don't want to be responsible for assisting their customers when file-sharing, but he told it possible and should look it up on Google.

Hopefully some smarter than me at routers/hubs/torrents will have it figured out within the next 14-16 months, or I'm going back to eircom in 2014.

Harry Deerpark, you are either very naive or just trolling. Those type of comments aren't something we want to see here

• Advertisement

I was supposed to be activated on 31 January and when I wasnt I sent an email and got a reply yesterday saying that their system showed i was scheduled for activating yesterday but it could be as late as midnight but to go ahead and set up the hub.

I got all hooked up there an hour ago and so far so good. The speeds are in line with what I was getting with Vodafone.

2480749739.png

Advertisement