Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Can you help me with that? I will post it here if you can review it.

go in to your Sky Hub router page: Type 192.168.0.1 in to your browser.
    Scroll to the bottom and click on "further diagnostics help"
    You will get a login screen. Default settings are: Username - admin Password - sky
    Login and scroll to the bottom again and click on show statistics. This should bring up a pop up box and on the bottom will be " Noise Margin". If the number is above 6 for download then theres more than likely room for Sky to lower it and potentially increase your download speed. 6 seems to be the accepted level they can reduce it to before you run into problems but mine is hovering between 5.5 and 6 and is working fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 1023 kbps 124 kbps
    Line Attenuation 69.0 dB 44.1 dB
    Noise Margin 5.4 dB 24.24 dB

Thats the results I found using your instructions.

Are they ok or bad?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

adox wrote: »
    I presume you were having the same issues with your old provider as well then?
    Either way a bit of a pain in the hole for you. At least, if your service isnt any worse on Sky you are saving some money for the same unreliable service.

My line can only seem to handle very moderate speeds but they are consistent throughout the day. Never had a problem on that front with Vodafone and Sky have been consistent for me from day 1.

Its a joke tbh the service that some of the excahnges around the country provide.

No problems with eircom once they sorted out other issues over the years which took months but when things were sorted the service was a constant 3mb with no slowdown at all.

To be fair i can deal with this slowdown once it doesnt impact with gaming or if i decide to get netflix,so far gaming is fine at any time and ive streamed via Hulu at peak hours to run tests and its been ok.
    So overall im saving about €50 per month and i have faster dload speeds,can still game and stream = far better than eircom.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 1023 kbps 124 kbps
    Line Attenuation 69.0 dB 44.1 dB
    Noise Margin 5.4 dB 24.24 dB

Thats the results I found using your instructions.

Are they ok or bad?

This might help you

http://www.vukatel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63:adsllinestats&catid=39:faq-general&Itemid=41

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

2482993853.png

no great at all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

its bad when the upload it quicker than the download.what did sky say your line can handle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

naughto wrote: »
    its bad when the upload it quicker than the download.what did sky say your line can handle?

15!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I thought I would ask this here as someone may know the answer. I use an email client, Incredimail, to send and receive mail from a few accounts. I set the Sky hub up yesterday and I have noticed today that while I can receive mail through Incredimail I cant send mail.

When I go to the accounts and properties I see that the incoming mail server is pop.iol.ie and the outgoing mail server is mail.iol.ie

I googled the Sky data for this and tried it but it didnt work. Any ideas as to what the outgoing mail server should be set at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

muffler wrote: »
    I thought I would ask this here as someone may know the answer. I use an email client, Incredimail, to send and receive mail from a few accounts. I set the Sky hub up yesterday and I have noticed today that while I can receive mail through Incredimail I cant send mail.

When I go to the accounts and properties I see that the incoming mail server is pop.iol.ie and the outgoing mail server is mail.iol.ie

I googled the Sky data for this and tried it but it didnt work. Any ideas as to what the outgoing mail server should be set at?

I don't know what the settings should be but maybe as an experiment you could install Thunderbird. Its very easy to set up the accounts in and it'll add in that server data automatically when you put in your username and password. If it works then maybe you could compare that data to whats in Incredimail and maybe get it working that way or even if you are happy with thunderbird you might switch because its not a bad email client.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Generally you need to be using the outgoing server settings of the ISP you are connected to. So you need to find those settings for Sky.

Did you look here?

http://help.sky.com/email/setting-up-sky-email/using-pop3-or-imap-with-sky-email

• Advertisement

pbarr wrote: »
    I don't know what the settings should be but maybe as an experiment you could install Thunderbird. Its very easy to set up the accounts in and it'll add in that server data automatically when you put in your username and password. If it works then maybe you could compare that data to whats in Incredimail and maybe get it working that way or even if you are happy with thunderbird you might switch because its not a bad email client.
    Downloaded and installed Thunderbird and couldnt get any accounts added at all.

dub45 wrote: »
    Generally you need to be using the outgoing server settings of the ISP you are connected to. So you need to find those settings for Sky.

Did you look here?

http://help.sky.com/email/setting-up-sky-email/using-pop3-or-imap-with-sky-email
    Followed the instructions but apart from the actual Sky email account I couldnt get any others to work in Incredimail

Thanks for the input lads.

Followed the instructions but apart from the actual Sky email account I couldnt get any others to work in Incredimail

You shouldn't change your inbox settings for the non sky accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

If you look at post #473 I followed these instructions and my email is now working perfectly.

You shouldn't change your inbox settings for the non sky accounts.
    I dont understand. Sky are now my broadband provider so I would expect to have to change the settings. In fact I rang Vodafone earlier and explained to them that I only set up the Sky hub yesterday and the guy told me that as VF were no longer my provider I would definitely have to change them.

I dont understand. Sky are now my broadband provider so I would expect to have to change the settings. In fact I rang Vodafone earlier and explained to them that I only set up the Sky hub yesterday and the guy told me that as VF were no longer my provider I would definitely have to change them.

If you have a previous account when you change ISP - as most people will have - then to access that account you will need to use your old inbox settings. So lets say you have an Eircom email address then to access any mail sent to that address you will have to access the Eircom mail server. So you need to retain your Eircom (or whichever ISP you were previously with) settings.

However any email you send (except mainly for imap accounts) will use the outgoing server of Sky or whichever ISP you are using at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Sorry that didn't work for you muffler, by the looks of things there must be some setting in the sky hub thats stopping it because normally setting up those accounts in thunderbird is a breeze.

ccazza wrote: »
    If you look at post #473 I followed these instructions and my email is now working perfectly.

That doesn't cover email accounts with other ISPs.

ccazza wrote: »
    Tried that but didnt work. Might work in Outlook but I dont use it. Thanks anyhow for the suggestion.

If you have a previous account when you change ISP - as most people will have - then to access that account you will need to use your old inbox settings. So lets say you have an Eircom email address then to access any mail sent to that address you will have to access the Eircom mail server. So you need to retain your Eircom (or whichever ISP you were previously with) settings.

However any email you send (except mainly for imap accounts) will use the outgoing server of Sky or whichever ISP you are using at the time.
    Sorry, I picked you up wrong in your last post about inbox settings. Yeah I understand about logging in directly to my email accounts and I havent changed any settings there but as I said earlier I have a few accounts and I use Incredimail to access all the accounts as its a pain in the proverbial logging out and in again to access the various accounts

pbarr wrote: »
    Sorry that didn't work for you muffler, by the looks of things there must be some setting in the sky hub thats stopping it because normally setting up those accounts in thunderbird is a breeze.
    Its probably something very simple that Im overlooking. I have changed providers a couple of times over the last few years and all I ever had to do was bring up the list of accounts in Incredimail and change the incoming and outgoing mail servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭muffinhead

According to TechCentral, Sky is set to launch its broadband and talk services this coming Thursday:

http://www.techcentral.ie/article.aspx?id=20843

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

The way I see it, Sky are no competition for UPC, and they shouldn't be uttered in the same sentence. Yes they have some outstanding deals at the moment, but only when compared to other DSL providers, i.e. Vodafone and Eircom.

The initial Sky deal that sparked off this thread was great, but it's an anomaly. The real launch will give a better indication of Sky's price point, and will show whether they can really compete with the other DSL providers or not.

I was paying €40 a month for 8meg broadband to Vodafone with a 40GB limit. Now I pay ten focking quid to Sky for 10meg (so far) and no limit. That's a winning situation, but only because I got the cheap deal. Throw in line rental and it might not be quite as attractive...

There's no point comparing them to UPC really. I doubt anyone on UPC would change to Sky unless there was a major incentive, which for me there wouldn't be if I was running 100meg on fiber!

Ro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

muffinhead wrote: »
    According to TechCentral, Sky is set to launch its broadband and talk services this coming Thursday:

http://www.techcentral.ie/article.aspx?id=20843

Wow that's a lot sooner than expected if true.

For those of us condemned to DSL the one interesting thing will be their price point. It's nearly guarenteed that they will offer products initially cheaper than Eircom Vodafone etc.

Anyway worst case scenario for me I have 12 months of an unbelievably cheap package, saving me over €300 in that time.

I wonder will sky`s $1.5 billion investment include upgrading exchanges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

adox wrote: »
    Wow that's a lot sooner than expected if true.

For those of us condemned to DSL the one interesting thing will be their price point. It's nearly guarenteed that they will offer products initially cheaper than Eircom Vodafone etc.

Anyway worst case scenario for me I have 12 months of an unbelievably cheap package, saving me over €300 in that time.

That's my way of looking at it as well.
    I have 12 months of cheap phone & broadband if nothing else.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

amdaley28 wrote: »
    That's my way of looking at it as well.
    I have 12 months of cheap phone & broadband if nothing else.:)
    same as the no limit broadband is what got me to change well that and the 10 euro a month:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Day 8 and still getting 10.5mb with low ping (around 30). Line can handle 12mb.

Day 10 and the same as day 1, 7.5 mb during off peak hours, 1.5mb - 3 mb from 7pm to 11pm :(
    Looks like the tech guy from sky that told me to ignore claims of line testing for 10 days in Ireland was correct.
    What you get from day one wont change, the 10 day testing is UK only.

Day 1

Day_1.jpg

Day 2

Day_2.jpg

Day 3

2486423095.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Day 8 and still getting 10.5mb with low ping (around 30). Line can handle 12mb.

Same here!

Just a quick update on this which may be helpful to anyone else in a similar situation. I've been on to Sky and email clients like Incredimail can not be configured (or at least they didnt have the info on Incredimail) to send and receive usink Sky web mail.

I'll not even attempt to explain the technical stuff as I wouldnt get it right anyhow :o but basically it will now sort of work in reverse where other email accounts are configured through the Sky email setup. Its all to do with their high security settings or something like that and while individual email accounts (iol, eircom, vodafone etc etc) can be accessed through Outlook for example all incoming mail will go to the inbox and when replying to any of these the sender will be displayed as xxxx@sky.com

The guy I spoke to earlier got me to tweak something or other so that when I reply to or send an email the sender will not be displayed as muffler@iol.ie for example but as "muffler@sky.com on behalf of muffler@iol.ie" .........something like that. He got me to send him an email from Outlook while I was on the phone to him and thats what he told how it was displayed on his end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

The guy I spoke to earlier got me to tweak something or other so that when I reply to or send an email the sender will not be displayed as muffler@iol.ie for example but as "muffler@sky.com on behalf of muffler@iol.ie" .........something like that. He got me to send him an email from Outlook while I was on the phone to him and thats what he told how it was displayed on his end.

You don't remember what settings he got you to change to get this working ? Still having problems using iol email address. Thought it was working but unfortunately it's not.

Advertisement