Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Anyone having problems at the moment? I got home from work last night to see an orange smiley face on my sky modem. I rebooted it a few times and nothing changed.

I called their support line and after 20 minutes on hold and a quick conversation, I was told that Sky BB was down for "many people in Ireland" due to snow in Donegal (!). I'm in Limerick, so I don't really understand how that would affect me.

Still down this morning.

Anyone else having issues, or is the snow in Donegal just affecting little old me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Salty Dog wrote: »
    You don't remember what settings he got you to change to get this working ? Still having problems using iol email address. Thought it was working but unfortunately it's not.
    Is it not working from an email client or directly from the iol web mail site?

Mr E wrote: »
    or is the snow in Donegal just affecting little old me?
    Powerful stuff this snow here in Donegal :D There was no snow in Donegal yesterday until late yesterday evening and while there's a good layer here in places its nothing out of the way. I would say white sausages (porkies) were the order of the day with Sky.

My modem went off some time after 10 yesterday morning and when I came in around midday and pressed the reset button (apparently I was supposed to power off and on) it went fine and I actually ended up with almost double the speed from the previous day.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

muffler wrote: »
    Is it not working from an email client or directly from the iol web mail site?

Client - windows mail on vista

I would say white sausages (porkies) were the order of the day with Sky.

Strange. I'm heading home for lunch so I'll check again and give them another call if it's still down.

• Advertisement

Salty Dog wrote: »
    Client - windows mail on vista
    Have a look here and see if its any help.

I know I had to log into my sky email account and go to settings and add a pop3 account which would be one of my email iol accounts I would be adding. Its just a matter then of filling in a couple of details and ticking a few boxes. But at the end of it all I still cant (and Sky tell me that I cant) send email via the client other than my sky email or any accounts that are configured through Sky web mail

Strange. I'm heading home for lunch so I'll check again and give them another call if it's still down.
    Aye, if there was a problem with snow affecting broadband here I wouldn't be logged in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Aye, if there was a problem with snow affecting broadband here I wouldn't be logged in

Muffler did you try a gmail account to see would that work with incredimail?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ShayC

Anyone having problems at the moment? I got home from work last night to see an orange smiley face on my sky modem. I rebooted it a few times and nothing changed.

I called their support line and after 20 minutes on hold and a quick conversation, I was told that Sky BB was down for "many people in Ireland" due to snow in Donegal (!). I'm in Limerick, so I don't really understand how that would affect me.

Still down this morning.

Anyone else having issues, or is the snow in Donegal just affecting little old me?

My broadband is down in Kildare since last night, Sky say it's a line issue and have raised it with Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

Yeah our's is also down in Kildare at the moment. I'm on to Sky now, but I'm not at home so not sure how much they can do.

• Advertisement

pbarr wrote: »
    Muffler did you try a gmail account to see would that work with incredimail?
    I haven't but might give it a go later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Lockster wrote: »
    Yeah our's is also down in Kildare at the moment. I'm on to Sky now, but I'm not at home so not sure how much they can do.

Down in galway also. Been with sky 1week this is not good as i work from home. 7 years with Eircom but I never was down i hate to go back to them but i cant work without internet.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Lockster wrote: »

Just wondering is anyones sky broadband working today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Just wondering is anyones sky broadband working today?
    working here

Vico1612 wrote: »
    working here
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Ronan H wrote: »
    The way I see it, Sky are no competition for UPC, and they shouldn't be uttered in the same sentence. Yes they have some outstanding deals at the moment, but only when compared to other DSL providers, i.e. Vodafone and Eircom.

The initial Sky deal that sparked off this thread was great, but it's an anomaly. The real launch will give a better indication of Sky's price point, and will show whether they can really compete with the other DSL providers or not.

I was paying €40 a month for 8meg broadband to Vodafone with a 40GB limit. Now I pay ten focking quid to Sky for 10meg (so far) and no limit. That's a winning situation, but only because I got the cheap deal. Throw in line rental and it might not be quite as attractive...

There's no point comparing them to UPC really. I doubt anyone on UPC would change to Sky unless there was a major incentive, which for me there wouldn't be if I was running 100meg on fiber!

Ro

Sky will likely wholesale the Fibre Eircom puts into the ground eventually. I

think there here to compete against UPC and Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Our broadband in Greystones went down at 10.30 this morning and only got reconnected at lunchtime but with much slower speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I haven't but might give it a go later.

I know that if it worked you can get gmail to check your iol account and I think that you can make it look as if mail is being sent from the iol one even though its coming from the gmail one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,987 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just got back from a weekend in London.. speeds are so bad that I can't even bring up SpeedTest.net.

Basq wrote: »
    Just got back from a weekend in London.. speeds are so bad that I can't even bring up SpeedTest.net.
    My bb was off yesterday morning for an hour or two while I was out and instead of disconnecting from the power socket and powering up again (as advised on Sky website) I pushed the reset button at the back of the hub and my speed almost doubled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 corkgunner

My sky broadband is down since yesterday, rang sky and I was told check all the usual thing.
    Then told I had same problem as people in Donegal who had snow! The thing is I live in cork.
    Rang back this morning and told it would be down a few days and they would ring me to keep me informed.
    It's a bad start after only one week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,987 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My bb was off yesterday morning for an hour or two while I was out and instead of disconnecting from the power socket and powering up again (as advised on Sky website) I pushed the reset button at the back of the hub and my speed almost doubled
    My broadband wasn't off.. left it plugged in while gone.

Will try a reset though.

EDIT: Did the trick perfectly... cheers muff!

Basq wrote: »
    My broadband wasn't off.. left it plugged in while gone.

Will try a reset though.

EDIT: Did the trick perfectly... cheers muff!
    Oh I know, mine was left on also but the internet light went off at some stage. Im not saying the reset button is the answer but it worked for me :)

Edit: Good man... I see you are sorted

corkgunner wrote: »
    My sky broadband is down since yesterday, rang sky and I was told check all the usual thing.
    Then told I had same problem as people in Donegal who had snow! The thing is I live in cork.
    Rang back this morning and told it would be down a few days and they would ring me to keep me informed.
    That was some feckin snow shower we had here in Donegal :D

corkgunner wrote: »

Im still down in co Galway, just rang again and was told there is no update and they have no information, outages from Donegal to cork.

Tail between legs back to Eircon.

Went on website for status update and won't help me without a post code, a very poor way to introduce this in Ireland.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its fine here in Monasterevin , Kildare.
    Going back to eircom ? Dont do it ! pay three times as much for a slower service and a download limit?

Ive had nightmare experiences with eircom over many years, NEVER and i mean NEVER again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭positron

News about Sky package going general availability must be true, Vodafone guy rang and sounded out of breath and still talking double quick hifromvodafonewonderinghowyouarefindingourpackage?ohyoualreadyswitched?alrightnoproblem.blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Got activation for yesterday.connected up Sky hub and getting Orange smiley face since.Rang sky and tried all the usual reset plug in and out still Orange face.Not impressed.Waiting on callback

Dcully wrote: »
    Its fine here in Monasterevin , Kildare.
    Going back to eircom ? Dont do it ! pay three times as much for a slower service and a download limit?

Ive had nightmare experiences with eircom over many years, NEVER and i mean NEVER again!

what good is Sky if the service is down? i too hate Eircon but in years with being with them i never lost a days work like Sky has cost me today, with no support only a voice telling me very sorry but no information.

Really this is a joke and I expected so much more from Sky.

• Advertisement

It's down for a lot of people in the country (it's not just you!)

Their service is excellent, their support is excellent, their router software is very clever, the speed is excellent, the cost is excellent. This outage is just bad luck, to be fair.

It's just bad luck that you were activated during the outage.

Advertisement