Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Mr E wrote: »
    It's down for a lot of people in the country (it's not just you!)

Their service is excellent, their support is excellent, their router software is very clever, the speed is excellent, the cost is excellent. This outage is just bad luck, to be fair.

It's just bad luck that you were activated during the outage.

Wise words indeed.

My only issue with sky is the drop in download speeds from 7mb to about 2 mb between 7 and 11 pm.
    Not a major issue as ill just downlaod during the other hours if i need anything.
    My main use is gaming and even when speeds drop in the evenings the ingame pings are the exact same as during the day/late at night which is great.

Apart from that its been flawless and insane value for money compared to eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

do sky broadband have the pirate bay blocked like eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭cullenswood

No, it is not blocked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Don't use it myself but tried it for you and its not blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

My broadband is just back up in Sallins co Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Got connected just 15 mins ago, at long last. Initial tests are way beyond what I expected. Was getting 6.00mbps download with Vodafone. Now getting : Ping 20ms, Download 18.53mbps, Upload .65mbps. Happy Out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

Got connected just 15 mins ago, at long last. Initial tests are way beyond what I expected. Was getting 6.00mbps download with Vodafone. Now getting : Ping 20ms, Download 18.53mbps, Upload .65mbps. Happy Out :D

Congrats... that's a "bit" of an improvement alright ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

received my final bill from eircom

it seems i am 22e in credit...(apparently i will get a cheque in four to five weeks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My broadband is back now. Hopefully others who were suffering outages are back too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Im finally back up after losing a full day of work, which never happened with Eircom in 7 years, I must say Im not happy at all, this may not be worth it for me. I rely on broadband to make a living.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Im still down in co Galway, just rang again and was told there is no update and they have no information, outages from Donegal to cork.

Tail between legs back to Eircon.

Went on website for status update and won't help me without a post code, a very poor way to introduce this in Ireland.
    what good is Sky if the service is down? i too hate Eircon but in years with being with them i never lost a days work like Sky has cost me today, with no support only a voice telling me very sorry but no information.

Really this is a joke and I expected so much more from Sky.
    Im finally back up after losing a full day of work, which never happened with Eircom in 7 years, I must say Im not happy at all, this may not be worth it for me. I rely on broadband to make a living.

I'm in the South West & mine went down this evening after a power outage.
    Rang Sky & got on straight away. Nice guy said that they had outages around the country & that Eircom were sorting it out.
    He said if it wasn't back in 72 hours to ring back but to ring back later if I wanted an update.
    I said "thats a long time to wait" His reply was that I was right but since they depended in the wholesale provider (Eircom) to fix the problems they didn't want to be making false promises to people.
    About an hour later it was back on faster that it was before the breakdown.
    A lot of people will have breakdowns no matter who the service provider is.
    If you've never had a breakdown then you're one of the luck ones.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    I'm in the South West & mine went down this evening after a power outage.
    Rang Sky & got on straight away. Nice guy said that they had outages around the country & that Eircom were sorting it out.
    He said if it wasn't back in 72 hours to ring back but to ring back later if I wanted an update.
    I said "thats a long time to wait" His reply was that I was right but since they depended in the wholesale provider (Eircom) to fix the problems they didn't want to be making false promises to people.
    About an hour later it was back on faster that it was before the breakdown.
    A lot of people will have breakdowns no matter who the service provider is.
    If you've never had a breakdown then you're one of the luck ones.

Well i rang a few people in my town that are on Eircom dsl and they were perfectly fine, this was not an issue with the wholesaler, it was a BT/Sky issue.

I went to www.sky.com/servicestatus and couldn't get support because of no post codes! I mean they rolled a new service out in Ireland and seem to be totally unprepared! I'm not giving out to you just really unhappy I missed a whole days work and I guess Im ranting. I did write a good email to Sky so hopefully they are aware of my rant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

I mean they rolled a new service out in Ireland and seem to be totally unprepared! I'm not giving out to you just really unhappy I missed a whole days work and I guess Im ranting.

In fairness you are trialing the service. Its not a rolled out service yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Well i rang a few people in my town that are on Eircom dsl and they were perfectly fine, this was not an issue with the wholesaler, it was a BT/Sky issue.

I went to www.sky.com/servicestatus and couldn't get support because of no post codes! I mean they rolled a new service out in Ireland and seem to be totally unprepared! I'm not giving out to you just really unhappy I missed a whole days work and I guess Im ranting. I did write a good email to Sky so hopefully they are aware of my rant :)

Its very difficult when you depend on a service to make a living.
    The problem I suffered has happened before with BT, Vodafone & now Sky.
    Thats how I knew it wasn't down to Sky alone.
    The only thing is my speed is slightly better than I had from any of the others & its consistent. That wouldn't exactly be hard since my line can only take 3Mb :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

In fairness you are trialing the service. Its not a rolled out service yet.

Yes it's not fully launched and that is why we are paying such a low price, but they should have made people more aware of the possible dangers for commercial users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You do realise that Eircom are to the telephone industry what the ESB is to the electricity industry. That means in the case of outages, Eircom's (& ESB's) priority is to fix up their own customers first & then toddle on to the other provider's outages in their own good time. That means that if you are the middle house in a row of 7 & the other 6 are Eircom, then the guys on either side of you will be fixed up first. The big question is will Sky put the pressure on Eircom to gee up, notwitstanding the fact that they could buy Eircom in the morning if they so wished.

You do realise that Eircom are to the telephone industry what the ESB is to the electricity industry. That means in the case of outages, Eircom's (& ESB's) priority is to fix up their own customers first & then toddle on to the other provider's outages in their own good time. That means that if you are the middle house in a row of 7 & the other 6 are Eircom, then the guys on either side of you will be fixed up first. The big question is will Sky put the pressure on Eircom to gee up, notwitstanding the fact that they could buy Eircom in the morning if they so wished.

Once again the outage was a BT/SKY routing problem, it was unrelated to Eircom bitstream.

I understand there will be initial problems in any new product roll out, but the techs could offer absolutely no information and the support website is totally useless for anyone living in the Republic as we dont have post codes.

A very sloppy roll out for a company like Sky, dont lay the blame at Eircoms feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

do sky not have there own engineers yet.i think i read in the instructions that if you wanted and engineer to set it up for you broadband that you could ring them

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

Well, after roughly 10 days my connection has finally steadied up. Had a huge ping of over 150 and connection varied from 3mb some days to 7mb other days. Was told by Vodafone that the most my connection could handle was 5mb but Sky promised 6mb. In fairness they have delivered. Connection is now constantly steady and ping has dropped to normal. :)

2488777122.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Lads,
    Was on to sky there and this is launching on Friday!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

read the 7th online and rang them, was told to ring thursday and they'd go through everything with me. I reconnected to sky tv today at half price but really only for sky broadband and tv. heres to hoping the pricing is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Why Sky not buy up Eircom. It would be better for customers and Eircom longterm if both merge with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Still rock solid here, as it was on Day 1. On Day 7 now IIRC...

2490915933.png

Tonight is the first night i havent dropped from 7-8 mb to 2mb, right now my speed is 7.5 mb, normally @ 7 pm to 11pm things slow to 2 mb.
    My bb went down this evening for a short while, wonder was that something to do with it,fingers crossed this speed keeps going 24/7

scratch that i spoke too soon, down to 2.5 mb now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Dcully wrote: »
    Tonight is the first night i havent dropped from 7-8 mb to 2mb, right now my speed is 7.5 mb, normally @ 7 pm to 11pm things slow to 2 mb.
    My bb went down this evening for a short while, wonder was that something to do with it,fingers crossed this speed keeps going 24/7
    Have to say - mine is settling too - more good nights than throttle nights.
    Sky are atill waiting on a response from Eircom on the issue
    Are you getting your Netlix in HD??

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Have to say - mine is settling too - more good nights than throttle nights.
    Sky are atill waiting on a response from Eircom on the issue
    Are you getting your Netlix in HD??

I havent got round to netflix yet, mainly down to the fact ill need and xbox live sub for it, i dont use the xbox at all and it feels wrong to pay sub jsut for netflix.
    My samsung smart tv is unfortunately one of the models with no netflix app for it :(

When i run this speedtest it says HD is fine when im getting more than 3.5 mb but as i say at them peak hours im averaging aboiut 2 mb which is enough for SD i believe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics

Dcully wrote: »
    I havent got round to netflix yet, mainly down to the fact ill need and xbox live sub for it, i dont use the xbox at all and it feels wrong to pay sub jsut for netflix.
    My samsung smart tv is unfortunately one of the models with no netflix app for it :(
    Works great on an Apple TV - could do worse €109 - defo worth it if you have an iPhone/iPad
    That Xbox gold sub is a joke - mine is too noisy anyhow
    Having Netflix in HD now is probably best thing about my jump in speed - oh and no cap

Oh and 2mb is defo fine for SD. I've never had Netflix stutter for me

Looks like Sky works with Netflix Super HD (ISP dependent), 1080p

https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

whats the best way of streaming from netflix i have an xbox up stairs but my main tv that i watch movies on is downstairs.its there any cheap way of getting it to work down stairs??

bar bringing down the xbox that is

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    whats the best way of streaming from netflix i have an xbox up stairs but my main tv that i watch movies on is downstairs.its there any cheap way of getting it to work down stairs??

bar bringing down the xbox that is

Get yourself a set of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004INVKP4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Advertisement