Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

naughto wrote: »
    what does it mean for the people that are on the trial after the 12 months ??will we just get the same deal as whats being offered to joe public now or will we get any thing different
    You're time enough to ask that question in January 2014 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

naughto wrote: »
    what does it mean for the people that are on the trial after the 12 months ??will we just get the same deal as whats being offered to joe public now or will we get any thing different

You will have two options:

1. Choose from whatever packages Sky have when the twelve months is up, or...seeing as you will be out of contract...

2. ...change providers to someone who may be offering a better deal at the time.

In a nutshell, if you got in on the trial, you are laughing for a year, simple as that. The trial prices are outstanding.

After the year you will be back to hunting for the best deal, whether it be from Sky or someone else.

Remember Sky are trying to GET you. With the trial, they GOT you, in the hope that you will stay with them next January. It's no different than any service that offers a great introductory price, they will take the hit initially to GET you, and then try to OWN you :eek: . A bit facetious perhaps, but you get the jist!

Expect the "Come back to us...", or the "We're sorry to see you leave..." postcards from Eircom et al. to start flying through your letterbox Harry Potter style in a few weeks.

Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Anyone here tried building the packages online. I want to try it with my dads account but want to know is there a final confirm stage online before I'm locked into anything. I just want prices for now

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Anyone here tried building the packages online. I want to try it with my dads account but want to know is there a final confirm stage online before I'm locked into anything. I just want prices for now
    There are no discounts for bundles if thats what you mean so its just a matter of rooting around and seeing what the various packs cost and add them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I think Sky have made a mistake by not separating Sky broadband from their Phone packages. Not everyone wants a phone with calls added (its only makes it more expensive)

Sky would have had an influx of new customers if they separated the two with added option to take phone and calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I think Sky have made a mistake by not separating Sky broadband from their Phone packages. Not everyone wants a phone with calls added (its only makes it more expensive)

Sky would have had an influx of new customers if they separated the two with added option to take phone and calls.

Indeed. And in the UK you can get 8mbps broadband only with unlimited downloads for £7.50 plus line rental of abou £13.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,986 ✭✭✭✭Basq

To be fair, they're only making money on the call packages.

Charging €30 for Line Rental & Calls is a bit exorbitant.. charging an extra €10 for Unlimited Broadband is a no-brainer.

If they took off the calls, they'd need to charge €25 - €30 minimum for broadband to make it worthwhile for them.

I do think those who have TV with them should get a discount however.

Basq wrote: »

Charging €30 for Line Rental & Calls is a bit exorbitant.. charging an extra €10 for Unlimited Broadband is a no-brainer.

If they took off the calls, they'd need to charge €25 - €30 minimum for broadband to make it worthwhile for them.

I agree about their base price. It is set too high. Remember they are getting the line at wholesale rate from Eircom. They have very little wiggle room there, but if Vodafone can do it, then Sky should have no problem. If you now take the Unlimited BB withe the €7.50 add-on for unlimited calls, thsre is sfa difference between Sky & Vodafone. And if you now haggle with Voda I'll bet it would'nt be too hard to get them to match Sky or even beat them if you opt for a longer contract. Interesting times anyway.

Okay then, I've had a good read through the website and the various offers and here's the deals if anyone's interested. First of all you will need an active land line and what Sky appear to be concentrating on is selling the calls/line rental and then adding the broadband in as a bonus

Off peak calls including line rental will cost €30 per month
    Any time calls including line rental will cost €37.50 per month
    A limited 2gb capped download broadband pack is free with either phone pack
    Unlimited broadband will cost €7.50 extra regardless of which call/line rental pack is chosen.

The above applies to lines connected to certain exchanges so you need to go to their website and check your line. If your line is outside of their "network area" then an additional €10 per month is applied to the above rates.

It is also stated on the site that you may have to pay for delivery of the hub (router)

Basq wrote: »

Yes, but i would assume Irish people are not going to pay more just because Sky thinks they should?

Lot of Irish only require broadband and have no interest making calls from a landline ( they've got a mobile for that) Thats the reality. Irish people have more important bills to consider and do like paying extra just to have broadband.

I've Eircom broadband. Sky broadband would be about tenner less for me. But the speeds are the same. There is no incentive for me to move to them really/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

I am on the trial for 10e per month

Currently I pay them also for sky tv pack which is 47.50

With eircom I was paying 70e to 80e per month

Even with these proper sky pricing for phone and broadband I would still make savings

Think it depends on the individuals scenario

Ps to prev poster I got 17mb with eircom, getting 20mb from sky

Indeed. And in the UK you can get 8mbps broadband only with unlimited downloads for £7.50 plus line rental of abou £13.50.

I think the rental line bull**** needs to be got rid off and totally unacceptable in this day and age.

If line rental is going to stay then there should be a minimum standard of 24mb ( 20 plus euro a month just to use a phone that you could buy in store for 80 euros is a crazy policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,986 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lot of Irish only require broadband and have no interest making calls from a landline ( they've got a mobile for that) Thats the reality. Irish people have more important bills to consider and do like paying extra just to have broadband.

I've Eircom broadband. Sky broadband would be about tenner less for me. But the speeds are the same. There is no incentive for me to move to them really/
    The thing is broadband-only packages are still quite expensive... with what other operators charge, you can then opt into a calls package for nothing-or-very-little.

Sky can approaching it the opposite way - an expensive calls package with cheap broadband.

They're not re-inventing the wheel.. they're simply offering it in a way that's easier to market ("free or €10 broadband anyone?").

Their priority clearly seems to be to maximize profit / slightly undercut competition.. so if they offers broadband only, it'd be €35 (approx) I'd say.
    You can't compare it with the UK... completely different market!

If Irish operators were more competitive, they'd be offering the same thing.. but high-ho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

I think the rental line bull**** needs to be got rid off and totally unacceptable in this day and age.

If line rental is going to stay then there should be a minimum standard of 24mb ( 20 plus euro a month just to use a phone that you could buy in store for 80 euros is a crazy policy.

The line rental issue will not change, simply put

Thank eircom for that

BArra wrote: »
    I am on the trial for 10e per month

Currently I pay them also for sky tv pack which is 47.50

With eircom I was paying 70e to 80e per month

Even with these proper sky pricing for phone and broadband I would still make savings

Think it depends on the individuals scenario

Ps to prev poster I got 17mb with eircom, getting 20mb from sky

My line is connected to a ASDL1 exchange and you a ASDL 2 exchange.

Anyone on a ASDL1 exchange likely has no incentive to go to Sky. I just done a speed test with Sky 5.8 (yet my line could handle 21meg if i was on ASDL2 exchange)

Eircom i get 6.3 download my package is 7 mbps download. Small difference is price is not enough to want me to move from Eircom.

I hate Eircom and their crappy speeds, but my broadband is always stable and reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Thank eircom for that

No, thank COMREG.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Thank eircom for that

This is why we have bundled packages from other providers. You could separate the two if other providers were not required to pay line rental. Thats what i believe anyway.

Yes Eircom loves charging big for substandard products and services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

blackopsB wrote: »
    Just off the phone to Sky and the pricing is as follows:

Line Rental Including Free Evening & Weekend Calls + Broadband with a 2GB usage limit = €30
    Line Rental Including Free Evening & Weekend Calls + Broadband unlimited = €40

then you can add talk anytime to this for another €7.50

Anyone know if the pricing is with or without VAT?

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Anyone know if the pricing is with or without VAT?

Sky usually quote their prices inclusive of VAT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

So its not worth getting Sky anymore? UPC is cheaper for a better deal isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Melion wrote: »
    So its not worth getting Sky anymore? UPC is cheaper for a better deal isnt it?

Sky was never going to be a competitor to UPC for Broadband..

The comparisons are with Eircom/Vodafone etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hey guys,

I'm on a none LLU enabled exchange so looking at 40e a month for line rental, call package and unlimited 16MB.

Paying UTV around 60e for a old unlimited legacy package at present and next best package I can find is with Vodafone for 55e so Sky seems best move at the moment.

Not seeing it on the website off hand but whats the upstream for non-LLU as currently have 384 kbps so expecting pretty much the same or maybe a max of 512k.

Also any bit falls people are finding with Sky on non-LLU exchanges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

blackopsB wrote: »
    Just off the phone to Sky and the pricing is as follows:

Line Rental Including Free Evening & Weekend Calls + Broadband with a 2GB usage limit = €30
    Line Rental Including Free Evening & Weekend Calls + Broadband unlimited = €40

then you can add talk anytime to this for another €7.50

Feck that,If the price was half that I would change but I'm paying less with Vodafone,165gig limit which suits me fine and I download a good bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Surprised they took the BT exchanges into consideration.
    So Eircom exchanges are €50 a month - BT €40

More surprising though - where is the bundle??? So non-TV customer pays the same as the TV customers

And Comreg/Eircom - why the hell am I paying the same line rental for 6mb (or less in a lot pf peoples cases) as the person getting NGB 24mb - that's a disgrace!! (Think somebody else also made the point - but it's a very valid one).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the_eman_pablo

Everyone is forgetting that SKY's main priority is T.V!

The BB + Talk is just for the convenience of having 1 direct debit!

The sky hub is also very good at channeling the best line for your broadband without the line dropping or any interference!

SKY was never going to compete with upc for BB! but UPC are never going to compete with SKY for T.V?

if you bundle the most basic Sky T.V package which is 27euro, with the unlimited broadband and freetime package its 67euro? which is cheaper than upc's 69!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

If I was to get broadband with Sky it'd be €20 and €37.50 for talk along with my €65ish a month tv it'd be €125 and I'm paying €64 a month with eircom for the same talk deal and 3mb BB :S

I expected Sky to be cheaper than that tbh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The sky hub is also very good at channeling the best line for your broadband without the line dropping or any interference!

My line has dropped 3/4 times since i got sky bb 13 days ago, speeds also drop from 7.5 mb to 2 mb every night @ about 7-11 pm
    Sky have blamed the exchange and say they can do nothing until eircom upgrade the exchange, however according to eircom there is no plans to upgrade it any time soon :(

Atleast with eircom i had a rock solid 3mb any time day and night and never lost connection apart from power cut in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Dcully wrote: »
    My line has dropped 3/4 times since i got sky bb 13 days ago, speeds also drop from 7.5 mb to 2 mb every night @ about 7-11 pm
    Sky have blamed the exchange and say they can do nothing until eircom upgrade the exchange, however according to eircom there is no plans to upgrade it any time soon :(

Atleast with eircom i had a rock solid 3mb any time day and night and never lost connection apart from power cut in the area.

That's because of the ****e backhaul at the exchange. Even if they wanted to there's nothing Sky can do. That's why Eircom limit the connections at these <24Mbit backhaul exchanges to 3Mbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Came home to my first orange smiling face tonight. Power off and back on sorted it.

Hope it's a rarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

My folks are in Tralee. I just checked their line on the sky site and it said the Estimated Access Line Speed was 11.7 Mbps.

Does this mean they're connected to an ASDL 2 exchange?

I'd love to save them a few quid (they've sky as well) but their last experience with another provider (BT) was dismal.

Advertisement