Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

That's because of the ****e backhaul at the exchange. Even if they wanted to there's nothing Sky can do. That's why Eircom limit the connections at these <24Mbit backhaul exchanges to 3Mbit.

Why do i drop to 2mb from 7.5mb on sky but got a solid 3mb with eircom?

Granted i know the exchange sucks but im just wondering why speeds drop, its hardly congestion as pings stay fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Dcully wrote: »
    Why do i drop to 2mb from 7.5mb on sky but got a solid 3mb with eircom?

Granted i know the exchange sucks but im just wondering why speeds drop, its hardly congestion as pings stay fine.

Perhaps their answer to poor backhaul exchanges is to throttle connection at peak times instead of unilaterally limiting it to 3Mbit?

At the end of the day your exchange is ****e and there's not much that can be done unless it's upgraded. Why it's not upgraded is a whole other matter but it's shocking really.

Perhaps their answer to poor backhaul exchanges is to throttle connection at peak times instead of unilaterally limiting it to 3Mbit?

At the end of the day your exchange is ****e and there's not much that can be done unless it's upgraded. Why it's not upgraded is a whole other matter but it's shocking really.

Yeah tell me about it, its a bloody joke.
    I suspected throttling alright as if it was congestion the pings would be terrible.
    I only found out yesterday we are planned for NGB this year, i wonder will this mean anything for us on sky?
    As in while they are doing work to enable NGB will that affect me?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

I suspected throttling alright as if it was congestion the pings would be terrible.
    I only found out yesterday we are planned for NGB this year, i wonder will this mean anything for us on sky?

Or when it does become NGB enabled, will your price come down?

If it goes NGB it will mean an awful lot. You'll basically get full speed all the time. You'll probably also be eligible for upto 24Mbit so you could have a much better speed.

• Advertisement

If it goes NGB it will mean an awful lot. You'll basically get full speed all the time. You'll probably also be eligible for upto 24Mbit so you could have a much better speed.

Im not so sure

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056873518

That's fair enough. But at a minimum you will be able to get solid 8Mbit...

There's a chance they'll upgrade to ADSL2+ too, I wouldn't give up hope on that front. Depends on the exchange.

There was a thread recently where a guy all of a suddon got NGB and 24Mbit when he had pretty much given up hope.

There's a lot to read on contention vs congestion... it's pretty technical but if there's is adequate backhaul and proper management then you can still get full speeds on less than 1:1 contention...

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

so on the phone to sky today the the price they qouted is 30euro line rental and 20euro for bb which is near enough the same as eircom.

we dont use the phone at all so the free landline calls BS is pointless.

why exactly have they entered this market if they arent going to offer cheaper rates?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

flynnlives wrote: »
    so on the phone to sky today the the price they qouted is 30euro line rental and 20euro for bb which is near enough the same as eircom.

You sure they quoted you correctly?
    I'm on non LLU exchange and got upto 24mb dsl with evening and weekend calls for 40e, unless your adding a anytime call package for an additional 7.50e it doesn't come close to 50e.

Also why call them when you can see for yourself on http://www.sky.com/ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 23 edmac33

BrianHal wrote: »
    Has anyone signed up recently and received their Sky Hub and have the service up and running?

If so, what was the time between signing up on the phone and actually having BB with Sky. And what sort of speed are you getting relative to what Sky reckoned was available on your line?

Doesn't Sky feed off the Eircom Network and unless you are able to get 24MB isn't it just the same as the rest? Vodafone and any others who feed off the Eircom network? Mostly only 3-5MB?

I'd look at UPC Fibre at least that is 50MB or Digiwebs 30MB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I have often wondered what happens when other ISP's use Eircom exchanges & equipment.
    I have a friend in Cork who was with Perlico within 1km of the exchange.Before that she was with some other Isp but not Eircom.
    The service was slow & constantly breaking down. Eircom engineers did all the usual line tests, she even got a friend who is a telecoms engineer to check the wiring inside the house.
    No one could find anything wrong anywhere.
    In desperation she went back to Eircom & immediately all the problems disappeared as if by magic. All of a sudden rock solid broadband even good enough for online streaming on her Samsung smart tv. Before that it was like watching paint dry.
    Makes you wonder doesn't it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Really getting pissed off with Sky Broadband now. Im constantly getting throttled to 3mb from 8mb. This is the 4th time this has happened in 2 bloody weeks.

Never had one issue with Vodafone in the 4 years we were with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Hogzy wrote: »
    Really getting pissed off with Sky Broadband now. Im constantly getting throttled to 3mb from 8mb. This is the 4th time this has happened in 2 bloody weeks.

What was the speed with vodafone around the same time of the sky throttling if you can remember?

What was the speed with vodafone around the same time of the sky throttling if you can remember?

My speed with Vodafone was 8.5mb, When I joined Sky first it went up to 10mb, then reduced back to 8.5mb and stayed there. Now in the passed 2 weeks I have been stuck on speeds of 3mb for a good 6-7hrs during the day. This has happened at least 4 times that I know of.

Its a joke. You get what you pay for I suppose.

Happens me every single night and another guy from our area. Trust me ive tested it every night

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Cabaal wrote: »
    You sure they quoted you correctly?
    I'm on non LLU exchange and got upto 24mb dsl with evening and weekend calls for 40e, unless your adding a anytime call package for an additional 7.50e it doesn't come close to 50e.

Also why call them when you can see for yourself on http://www.sky.com/ireland

im in a rural area
    and when i do the online checker thing im getting the unlimited package for 20euro.
    but when im on the landing page it says its only 10euro?

can anyone explain why it jumps to 20euro?

And then i have to select the phone package of 30. so ya 50euro altogether.

Happens me every single night and another guy from our area. Trust me ive tested it every night

What exchange are you on as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Is the broadband with Vodafone any good? Might switch to them if the service is reliable. Had a look at their support forums and there seems to be a lot of issues though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 xyz12

I am on Eircom for broadband and phone. If I am moving to sky to I need to contact Eircom to cancel or do I just sign up for sky and it all happens automatically? I don't want to get landed with two bills.

lockup35 wrote: »

Is the broadband with Vodafone any good? Might switch to them if the service is reliable. Had a look at their support forums and there seems to be a lot of issues though..

What else do you expect to find in a support forum? I had no issues with them whatsoever. I'm on a bt enabled exchange though so that helps considerably

• Advertisement

xyz12 wrote: »
    I am on Eircom for broadband and phone. If I am moving to sky to I need to contact Eircom to cancel or do I just sign up for sky and it all happens automatically? I don't want to get landed with two bills.

It happens automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

lockup35 wrote: »

If you look at any forum the majority of posts will be complaints because if everything is going well you won't always hear about it.

I was with Vodafone for since BT left Ireland. I don't remember how long ago that was.

I am on a 3Mb line.
    With Vodafone I had about 1.7/1.8 Mb broadband at best. It often went up & down.
    I had anytime calls to Ireland & UK + so many minutes free to mobile every month. I had a broadband allowance of 40Gb per month. It cost me €47.50 pm. Once I went over my broadband allowance by 20Gb & that cost me €20+.

I moved to Sky.
    I now have unlimited anytime calls to Ireland & the UK + 20 International countries.
    I have unlimited mobile calls to the US & Canada.
    I have unlimited broadband of 2.05Mb.Rock solid,never varies.
    I think on today's figures the prices are the same.

It would make sense to me to move if I already hand't.

What exchange are you on as a matter of interest?

Monasterevin

On a side note I just got an email from sky saying I'm 10 e overdue. Wtf? They got my uac number can't they get debit details from that? Anyone else get this email?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

I got on the sky trial and was previously with Vodafone, getting 2mb download.
    I am now with Sky but having a woeful experience, 200k download.

Anybody know what the story is with contracts, is their a cooling off period or similar ??

I got on the sky trial and was previously with Vodafone, getting 2mb download.
    I am now with Sky but having a woeful experience, 200k download.

Anybody know what the story is with contracts, is their a cooling off period or similar ??

200k download is the equivelant to a 2mb connection.

i cant even stream from youtube without it buffering ?
    Same with Netflix.
    Speedtest.net reporting 200k speeds, and uploads of 400K

Have sky hub plugged into main socket, through microfilter.
    Conecting wireless or via the ethernet cable and still same :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

200k download is the equivelant to a 2mb connection.

Speedtest reports in bits not bytes.
    If it was 200kB then yes, that would be a 2Mb connection, but it's 200kb so a tenth of the connection that he should be getting.

i really do give up. This has to be an issue with the line and not in the house.
    I have an android tablet and phone reporting same as laptop.
    Anybody any sugestions ?
    Going to insist on eircom engineer now at this stage.

this is magnet speed test

the sky hub home page reports a downstream speed of 5415 ( 5MB )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

i really do give up. This has to be an issue with the line and not in the house.
    I have an android tablet and phone reporting same as laptop.
    Anybody any sugestions ?
    Going to insist on eircom engineer now at this stage.

this is magnet speed test

Try switching off the modem and removing the dsl filter and plugging it back into the line directly without the filter. Power it up again. If your speeds are better the filter is faulty. Keep me posted

• Advertisement

hi tcawley29,
    Thanks for reply.
    Hub came with 2 filters and have tried both and also connecting filter directly aswell.

was on to sky support the other night, there is a secondary phone socket if you take the main socket cover off and have tried that aswell and no luck.

The only thing that it could possibly be and have been on to the guy that installed it.
    Our house alarm is connected to the phone line and rings my mobile phone with an an automated msg when the alarm is trigger.
    What ya think ?

Advertisement