Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

hi tcawley29,
    Thanks for reply.
    Hub came with 2 filters and have tried both and also connecting filter directly aswell.

was on to sky support the other night, there is a secondary phone socket if you take the main socket cover off and have tried that aswell and no luck.

The only thing that it could possibly be and have been on to the guy that installed it.
    Our house alarm is connected to the phone line and rings my mobile phone with an an automated msg when the alarm is trigger.
    What ya think ?

No problem. Try disconnecting every device connected to every phone socket. First connect the modem only and check the speeds. If they improve then something on your line is interfering with the dsl. You'll have to start reconnecting the devices one at a time to determine the culprit. If this doesn't work then it is definitely a job for an eircom engineer.
    Not sure if the alarm is the problem or not but every device on your phone line should have a filter connected to it.
    This could be a stupid question but are you 100% certain that you connected the modem to the dsl socket of the filter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sky have totally ****ed things up for me.
    For some reason they made a brand new account for bb and calls seperate from my existing tv account and is causing all sorts of issues.
    Aswell as that im now being throttled every weekday evening at peak hours and weekend days despite being told i would not be throttled.
    I downlaod sweet FA tbh only games i own on steam and game patches etc.
    I may be saving €40 a month but fcuk me im not sure its worth it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

hi tcawley29
    have gone through this several times each time i have rang sky support.
    the only thing that has never been disconnected is the house alarm though.
    going to push them for eircom engineer as its not usable.

hi tcawley29
    have gone through this several times each time i have rang sky support.
    the only thing that has never been disconnected is the house alarm though.
    going to push them for eircom engineer as its not usable.

Is there a filter on the house alarm?

hi tcawley29,
    thats it, i dont think there is one.
    i rang engineer andhe told me i would need to open the alarm box and disconnect a couple of wires to do this.
    Would the lack of a filter though reduce the speeds to 200k though.

• Advertisement

hi tcawley29,
    thats it, i dont think there is one.
    i rang engineer andhe told me i would need to open the alarm box and disconnect a couple of wires to do this.
    Would the lack of a filter though reduce the speeds to 200k though.

Not having a filter would definately affect your speeds. Sounds like a weird set up with your alarm tbh. On mine all I have to do is open the metal box and plug it into a socket the exact same as if it was a phone. Have a look and see if your set up is the same. If not you'll have to get the engineer to help you out.
    If you haven't got a filter to test this then just disconnect every device from every phone socket and wait 10 mins. Then plug in the modem and its dsl filter only and do a speed test. You should see some sort of improvement from doing this.

hi tcawley29
    wont take up much more of your time.
    just on this, i have the android speedtest.net app and when i run it sometimes
    it starts at 4.6mb or even higher but eventually finishes up at 0.5 or whatever !
    going to take to engineer about disconnecting alarm as you suggested and giving that a go.
    cheers,

hi tcawley29
    wont take up much more of your time.
    just on this, i have the android speedtest.net app and when i run it sometimes
    it starts at 4.6mb or even higher but eventually finishes up at 0.5 or whatever !
    going to take to engineer about disconnecting alarm as you suggested and giving that a go.
    cheers,

No problem, I practically live on a laptop anyways :pac: Let me know how it pans out for ya. Worst case it would be around 5 euro or so to get a filter for the alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

looks like a huge non event this Sky BB lol

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

I can't wait for my sky BB to arrive tbh :) I'm expecting the router to arrive sometime this week. I signed up saturday night :) Vodafone were a nightmare for me and just had poor customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Dcully wrote: »
    Sky have totally ****ed things up for me.
    For some reason they made a brand new account for bb and calls seperate from my existing tv account and is causing all sorts of issues.
    Aswell as that im now being throttled every weekday evening at peak hours and weekend days despite being told i would not be throttled.
    I downlaod sweet FA tbh only games i own on steam and game patches etc.
    I may be saving €40 a month but fcuk me im not sure its worth it at all.

Probably clutching straws here Dcully, but requesting a new hub might be an idea. Could be something stupid with the router.
    (sorry if you have already done this, just keeping an eye on what you are going through.)

Probably clutching straws here Dcully, but requesting a new hub might be an idea. Could be something stupid with the router.
    (sorry if you have already done this, just keeping an eye on what you are going through.)

No need to apologize mate, any input is welcome.

No i highly doubt its the hub as 2 other guys from the town also gamers have the exact same issue at the exact same times.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    I can't wait for my sky BB to arrive tbh :) I'm expecting the router to arrive sometime this week. I signed up saturday night :) Vodafone were a nightmare for me and just had poor customer service.

hi tcawley,
    one last call to SKy and got through to somebody who actually sorted it
    Believe the line can take 6mb but the profile that they were sending down was 6.6mb so was intermittently dropping.
    they have changed it now to 5mb and getting 4.5mb consistently so happy days,
    Thanks again
    Sky is great again.

Well im still waiting on sky to sort out their own **** up of creating a second account for bb and talk and not adding them to my existing tv account.
    The net result is warning emails of an overdue payment of €10 and threatening to cut me off, all because they are trying to take money from the second account but they never added payment details.
    I could add payment details but it would only complicate things further plus they told me they would sort everythign into a single accoutn as it should be from the beginning.
    Meanwhile the 7 days before estimated cut off is getting closer and they still have not sorted this out.
    They promised to ring me about it lastnight and didnt.
    Support on the sky forum on my sky isnt much better.
    Speeds are still dropping from 8mb to 2 mb every night and now during weekend days.
    A ****ing joke of a service and support so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,985 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My service was absolutely atrocious last night.. kept dropping and getting an average of 4 - 5K download (yep, that's KB) on any file I tried.

Couldn't even bring up the SpeedTest website it was so poor!

I'm gonna put it down to a temporary glitch as I've been lucky so far (bar a few resets of the router) but if I've to suffer service like that again, an angry call will do in order.

Hi Basq,
    Welcome to my world. 2mb and i count myself lucky. Normally 0.5MB and thats on a 6MB line.
    Like the wifey said, worst thing we ever did was move to Sky.
    We got on to trial offer so 17euro for the month.
    We got our bill, and we were charged for BB in arrears and in advance.
    was expecting a 60euro bill and got and 80euro bill. some of that our own fault though wtith mobiles.

does enybody have the sky number actually,
    0818 762 819 or something like that, the one where you just hit 1 for phone issues ?
    Am due to have our daily call.

Im on the phone the past 50 mins trying to get my dual account issue sorted.
    They are sending out new viewing cards for sky boxes ,then i have to ring to cancel old sky account i have for tv,then ring tech department to pair new cards with my boxes.
    Meanwhile they have added my sky tv package to new account hence why i need to cancel old one when cards arrive, hopefully the accounts issue will be sorted then.

Still the speed drop at peak hours remains :(

They are sending out new viewing cards for sky boxes ,then i have to ring to cancel old sky account i have for tv,then ring tech department to pair new cards with my boxes.
    Meanwhile they have added my sky tv package to new account hence why i need to cancel old one when cards arrive, hopefully the accounts issue will be sorted then.

do you have the number dcully ??
    Cheers.

I rang 0818 719 858

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

I started a new thread.....didnt realise this was here....so mods you can delete it if you like .......anyway Got Sky Broadband up and running since last Monday...lost the Broadband on Thursday and have been onto them since......today they said it might be the Hub at fault....(but i am not so sure) they are sending out a new one....anyway does anyway one know they Sky Broadband settings....as i am going to try and use my old eircom router...ie..IP Address .....default gateway....First DNS and secondry DNS..........Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

On the Speed Drop Issue - it's probably worth adding to a thread that Dcully has started and a few of us have flagged the same issue.

The more people that report it - the more they might take notice.

The forum is here: Link and the thread is called
    "Sky throttling speeds at peak hours?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

I must be lucky, haven't had any issue since I was activated a few weeks ago....touch wood

Barra, you going to regret saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

Added Sky TV to your new account... are you on a 12mth contract for the TV as well now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

BArra wrote: »
    I must be lucky, haven't had any issue since I was activated a few weeks ago....touch wood
    Barra, you going to regret saying that.
    In fairness its mostly people who are experiencing problems that are posting here. I just ran a test there and its actually a wee bit slow compared to what it has been over the last 10 days but still a huge improvement on the 6.95Mb/s I was getting with Vodafone. So Im a happy camper also. :)

2504016378.png

BrianHal wrote: »
    Added Sky TV to your new account... are you on a 12mth contract for the TV as well now?

Yes i believe so but i wont be changing tv provider anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

quick question. If i sign up to this package (€40 bb unlimited + phone) will i also be automatically re-signed up to 12months of sky tv?
    Unlimited high speed bb for €2 more than i'm currently paying VF for 8mb\40gb is appealing but still toying with the idea of going freesat + saorview for TV. Also it seems that triple play would be €2\month more expensive, odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Scruff wrote: »
    quick question. If i sign up to this package (€40 bb unlimited + phone) will i also be automatically re-signed up to 12months of sky tv?
    From what I can see the Sky digital packs are a separate issue completely so you wont have sign up for it. But then again call and ask to absolutely sure or signing up online it will show up in the basket in any event..
    Scruff wrote: »
    Also it seems that triple play would be €2\month more expensive, odd.
    Haven't noticed that. I have all 3 and they just add up to total of the individual packs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,985 ✭✭✭✭Basq

FFS..

2504330723.png

Advertisement