Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Whatever issues I was having with Netflix in the evenings seem to have sorted themselves out and to be honest I'm not sure if it was actually a Sky problem or a problem on the Netflix end. I could only stream in SD, wouldn't stay in HD so presumed it was the Broadband. Even tough my speed tests were still fine in the evening I couldn't get HD streams.

Anyway, Netflix have now changed how their video feed is displayed. It's changed from the low/medium/high SD/HD to 240/360480/ SD and 720/1080 HD and I'm now getting constant 1080HD streams in the evening. It makes me wonder if it was on Netflixs end with their changeover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Is this normal?

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Is this normal?

Yep. I think everybody got that. Nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Is this normal?

Ye, Don't mind it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Is this normal?
    Had that too. All worked out ok. I did not contact them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

adox wrote: »
    Yep. I think everybody got that. Nothing to worry about.

Awesome, should definitely have a router coming this week so. Do they provide a tracking number as well? It would be handier if I could pick up the router at my local dpd hub on the way to college.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Sky are now censoring this service and I have been cut-off from two very popular websites since yesterday. Anyone else experiencing this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056883798

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Stinicker wrote: »
    Sky are now censoring this service and I have been cut-off from two very popular websites since yesterday. Anyone else experiencing this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056883798

Ah, so that explains why using a proxy can access a certain warez forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Ah, so that explains why using a proxy can access a certain warez forum.

I don't want to use proxies as theses sites were not blocked by Eircom either, (they are not the pirate bay as I don't use torrents!)

Stinicker wrote: »
    I don't want to use proxies as theses sites were not blocked by Eircom either, (they are not the pirate bay as I don't use torrents!)

That website was down over the weekend and I thought it was only open to some. Apart from the price, I'm starting to dislike Sky.

Anyway, how do we protest this? Go on to the Sky forum and threaten them that we're leaving when our contracts are up?

The hub is almost useless with torrents, it can download but it won't upload because of the firewall. I might switch back to Eircom when they install fiber at the end of this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,983 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Back to under a MB download this evening, even after a restart.

A call might be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Can anyone advise me please. I applied for SKY broadband & phone in early Nov. Got call from SKY early Jan offering deal @ e17.50 p.m. Spoke to my partner who said S>>>T I spoke with someone in Eircom Xmas week offering me deal. The deal ur man from Eircom offered was just the same one that we were on, no discount or anything. Then we rang Eircom on wk of 11th Jan to find out were we still on a contract, after 30 mins on line guy said yes we were, we asked if it could be terminated he stated
    to ring no .. this phone rang out and no reply. Now we tried it over the next hr no reply. We again rang Eircom main number and guy spoke with confirmed not under contract and we have his name. Here is Problem we unsure of date . We have now got bill from Eircom today with charge of e427.71 Breakdown of charge- Broadband early cease charge e267.32 & residential line early cease e158.76. What can I do now ???? Any advise I would really appreciate as I feel up the creek without a paddle:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Tip wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me please. I applied for SKY broadband & phone in early Nov. Got call from SKY early Jan offering deal @ e17.50 p.m. Spoke to my partner who said S>>>T I spoke with someone in Eircom Xmas week offering me deal. The deal ur man from Eircom offered was just the same one that we were on, no discount or anything. Then we rang Eircom on wk of 11th Jan to find out were we still on a contract, after 30 mins on line guy said yes we were, we asked if it could be terminated he stated
    to ring no .. this phone rang out and no reply. Now we tried it over the next hr no reply. We again rang Eircom main number and guy spoke with confirmed not under contract and we have his name. Here is Problem we unsure of date . We have now got bill from Eircom today with charge of e427.71 Breakdown of charge- Broadband early cease charge e267.32 & residential line early cease e158.76. What can I do now ???? Any advise I would really appreciate as I feel up the creek without a paddle:mad:
    Eircom have a "Talk to" forum here and you really should be asking the question there.

Just as an aside all calls to Eircom and other providers are recorded so you can request a copy of the transcript of the calls you made to them.

Basq wrote: »
    Back to under a MB download this evening, even after a restart.

A call might be in order.
    B, my broadband was a bit slow this evening also. I had been downloading stuff earlier in the day and while the download was complete the torrent was still open/active (if thats the right terminology :o). Anyhow I shut that and I also closed the browser (Firefox) and opened FF again and ran another test and I jumped from about 2mb up to near 12mb.

In fairness I have no idea if one or both of those actions helped but its worth a shot to restart the browser anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

muffler wrote: »
    B, my broadband was a bit slow this evening also. I had been downloading stuff earlier in the day and while the download was complete the torrent was still open/active (if thats the right terminology :o). Anyhow I shut that and I also closed the browser (Firefox) and opened FF again and ran another test and I jumped from about 2mb up to near 12mb.

In fairness I have no idea if one or both of those actions helped but its worth a shot to restart the browser anyhow.

Running torrents can max out your upload speed which can cause general browsing to be slow, you can set a max upload speed that the torrent client can use in its settings.

Your torrent was seeding (uploading) which slows down your download speed.
    • When you're downloading, your upload speeds suffer.
    • When you're uploading, your download speeds suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

It seems to be the case where if you have a torrent type of app open then Sky can detect the usage of the ports involved in those bandwidth hogging applications and then throttle your connection. If the bandwidth hogging apps aren't in use, you get your full bandwidth potential. Only fair in ways, where a minor percentage of users could gobble up all bandwidth available for the rest of the casual browsers.

Thanks lads. That all makes sense.

I dont really do much downloading so Id better get used to doing it during the night so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I am out of contract on my Vodafone broadband package. I've just been billed so have paid for next month. If i move to sky do i need to contact Vodafone and cancel or is it all handled automatically if i order sky?

Is there a cancellation fee for these sky packages if want to cancel at some point in the 1 year contract?

Edit: just found this in their BB t&c, says 31days notice but nothing about a fee....?

8. When can you cancel your subscription to the Services?
    During your Minimum Term
    8.1. If we tell you that we are making a modification to the Service(s), the price of your Service(s), or the written terms of your Contract(s) which does not fall within the agreed variations set out in conditions 6.1, 6.5 and/or 6.10, you can either:
    (a) move to another Sky Talk or Sky Broadband package available to you at your Address; or
    (b) cancel your subscription to the Service which is being changed, including during your
    Minimum Term,
    by giving us notice under condition 8.3.
    8.2. If the change we’re making as set out in condition 8.1 is to your Sky Talk and you chose to cancel your Sky Talk under condition 8.1(b), you may also cancel your subscription to Sky Broadband if you also take Sky Broadband.
    8.3. If you wish to cancel your Service(s), or move to another Sky Talk or Sky Broadband package as set out in Clauses 8.1 and 8.2, you must tell us within 31 days of receiving our notice of the changes so that we can end or transfer your Service(s) before the change comes into effect. If you would like to transfer your Service(s) to a new service provider, you will need to
    contact them within this time to arrange the transfer.

/Edit 2 after reading more pf the T&Cs...
    Early termination charges
    10.4. You may have to pay us an early termination charge for each Service if it ends during your Minimum Term, except where:
    (a) you exercise your right to end your subscription to the Service(s) during your Minimum Term under conditions 8.1, 8.2 and/or 8.5;
    (b) you exercise your right to end your subscription to one of the Services during your Minimum Term under condition 8.1 and we automatically cancel the other Services; or
    (c) we end your subscriptions to the Services where you are not at fault (under condition 9.2).
    10.5. We may charge any early termination charge directly to any of the credit or debit cards which you have provided us with details of and by accepting the terms of your Contract(s) you authorise us to do so. We will give you reasonable notice before making any charge.
    10.6. The early termination charge will not be more than the payments you would have made to us for your Sky Broadband package and/or for the cheapest available option for Sky Talk, for the remainder of your Minimum Term(s), less any costs we save, including the cost for no longer providing you with the Services.
    For more information on the consequences of termination and early termination charges (including how they are calculated), please contact Sky Customer Services using the contact details set out in “How can I contact Sky?”

Scruff wrote: »
    I am out of contract on my Vodafone broadband package. I've just been billed so have paid for next month. If i move to sky do i need to contact Vodafone and cancel or is it all handled automatically if i order sky?

Also is there a cancellation fee for these sky packages if want to cancel at some point in the 1 year contract?

Sky will handle it. At least they did for me when I switched from Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

ordered 7th Jan
    under 'my broadband' the activation date was initially showing as 23rd
    got an email early AM Fri 18th to say BB was active
    on checking the sky site I could see the DPD reference number

a further email early AM Sat 19th to say router was on the way, DPD reference number included

on checking the DPD site (Sat AM), the router arrived at their depot late on Fri night so was hoping it would have arrived Saturday as it showed 'CONTRACT B O'NIGHT' but no delivery

will probably have to wait til about 9am to check the dpd site again to see if it's out for delivery for Monday

luckily vodafone haven't disconnected me yet :D
    haven't had to reboot the router thankfully - afraid to in case I lose my connection
    waiting to see if the next forced IP reset will have any effect

Sky Talk Anytime still showing as awaiting activation - this will prob be the 23rd that was referred to on the sky site???

Hi

I am also thinking to switch to sky from vodafone. i am out of the contract period now. well did you informed Vodafone 30days in advance that you are moving to sky? Was there any gap or overlap on your broadband service you switched to sky.
    I am planning to place the order via sky website but i don't know the exact date of sky activating my broadband.so can't tell vodafone when to terminate their connection. or is that something sky will handle when we place the order.

Last thing- are you happy with sky bb and is there any significant speed increase. i am getting a decent 7mb with vodafone most of the time but the down load limit is just 40gb

Sorry for throwing too many questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

I ordered sky broadband on the 07/02/13 and i am due to go active tomorrow 21/02/13. Sky said numerous times in letters and emails to do nothing, relax and leave it up to them. I received my sky hub yesterday. Everything was going to plan.

Today i received my latest and hopefully last bill from vodafone in which they have charged me until the 13/03/13 in advance.

Will vodafone refund me the money paid for the days between 21/02/13 to 13/02/13 OR will sky not charge me for these days OR have sky messed up and i'll get charged by both for this period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

i dident inform vd(i was out of contract with them they dont have a 30 notice even when out of contract as far as i no)i let sky do it all for me.
    there was no break in service when i got the sky hub i pluged it in and it worked was on the vd network for about a day or so b 4 i was switched.

i get 5mb on my line with sky i got 5 mb with vd only differrence now is there is no download cap with sky and iam getting it all for 10euro a month as i was one of the trial customers

Doodoo wrote: »
    I ordered sky broadband on the 07/02/13 and i am due to go active tomorrow 21/02/13. Sky said numerous times in letters and emails to do nothing, relax and leave it up to them. I received my sky hub yesterday. Everything was going to plan.

Today i received my latest and hopefully last bill from vodafone in which they have charged me until the 13/03/13 in advance.

Will vodafone refund me the money paid for the days between 21/02/13 to 13/02/13 OR will sky not charge me for these days OR have sky messed up and i'll get charged by both for this period.

I got a refund for charges in advance after the service had switched from Vodafone. I did email them though a couple of times to complain about the charge. I mentioned it on a thread on the Talk To Vodafone forum but the rep there told me there wasn't anything they could do.

I'd persue them and annoy them until they agree to credit you back, if of course you have trouble getting a refund like I had initially.

naughto wrote: »
    i dident inform vd(i was out of contract with them they dont have a 30 notice even when out of contract as far as i no)i let sky do it all for me.
    there was no break in service when i got the sky hub i pluged it in and it worked was on the vd network for about a day or so b 4 i was switched.

i get 5mb on my line with sky i got 5 mb with vd only differrence now is there is no download cap with sky and iam getting it all for 10euro a month as i was one of the trial customers

what's the max your line could support? I am sure that you know if you put landline number on sky website it will show the max speed your line can support.

adox wrote: »
    I got a refund for charges in advance after the service had switched from Vodafone. I did email them though a couple of times to complain about the charge. I mentioned it on a thread on the Talk To Vodafone forum but the rep there told me there wasn't anything they could do.

I'd persue them and annoy them until they agree to credit you back, if of course you have trouble getting a refund like I had initially.

Did you received the amount in bank? You are very lucky if they paid you back.

there's a few posts here about Vodafone customers or ex-Vodafone customers so I'll just relate my dealings with them.

I was with VF up to a couple of weeks ago (Feb. 4th to be exact). I wasnt in a contract with them and when the word got out about the Sky offer back before Xmas I asked on the VF "talk to" forum if I had to give notice of cancelling and I was told yes. However when signing up with Sky about 5 weeks ago I mentioned this to the Sky rep and she explicitly told me that this was incorrect as you dont have to give notice when you are changing provider. But she also strongly advised me not to contact VF as there would be a risk of me being left without service as VF could cut me off anytime and that it would take them (Sky) a couple of weeks to get me sorted. She said Sky would contact VF when they were ready to switch my service over.

About 10 days ago I got my broadband and phone bill from VF and while there wasnt any problem with the calls I was charged for the broadband a month in advance which of course is normal practice if you are a customer. So I rang them and queried why I was being charged for bb by them when Sky were actually providing it. The rep told me that Sky hadn't informed them yet she was able to tell me that the changeover was on Feb. 4th which I found a bit odd.

Anyhow she said to let the direct debit go through on the 22nd of this month and that they would issue me a refund by cheque next month. In fairness to the girl she even told me how much the refund would be and as those calls are a ll recorded I was more than happy. I checked my VF account since and I see another bill there now which is showing as €6 something credit and when I add that to this months bill it adds up to exactly what the VF rep told me I would get refunded.

So full marks to Vodafone. They don't always get it right but they have done so on this occasion. In saying all that it will be several weeks before I get a cheque so I hope I don't have to eat my words at a later date but in any event I'll post back here and let everyone know how it panned out.

Hope that answers some of the questions asked in previous posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

jusvi2001 wrote: »
    what's the max your line could support? I am sure that you know if you put landline number on sky website it will show the max speed your line can support.
    5mb is the max that it can take so ial getting the lot out of it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My bb us down last hour,never had down time with eircom. You wouldn believe the bs I had with sky last week, not bb related but their fcuk up making a separate account for my bb and phone ,took 5 hours over 6 days on the phone to get it sorted .seriously you couldnt make it up .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Be careful when transferring to another provider.

If you are out of your original 12 month contact (and havent entered into another one via a speed upgrade for example) then in most cases you will be obliged to give a months notice to your current isp. Don't rely on Sky (or anyone else to do this for you) it is your responsibility.

There are posts elsewhere from ex Eircom customers who were assured by Sky reps that everything would be ok and who are not being billed by Eircom for the outstanding month.

Advertisement