Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Anyones broadband with an activation date of 21st active yet?!

Mine finally went live today. I'm getting speeds from 0.88GB up to 16GB. Hopefully it settles closer to the latter. I was getting a speed of 3.4GB with Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I just tested mine there and it is working - seems though Vodafone is too? So I have 2 suppliers. They better port me over soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

I just tested mine there and it is working - seems though Vodafone is too? So I have 2 suppliers. They better port me over soon.

I have broadband from both providers at the moment too. Not to sure when the phone services will be changed. Still no contact from sky so my advice for anyone would be to check your broadband daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Ordered on the 13th and no movement yet, any one else in the same boat ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Have you received your router? If so plug it in and check to see if it's connecting as I did that and it worked with no confirmation email from Sky. But I am also with Vodafone as I noticed that was also working!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

When you set up the hub it will still get the broadband from your current provider until such time as Sky make the switchover. I had mine set up for 3 days before it was switched and on the morning of the switchover the hub/modem actually appeared not to be working so I pushed the reset button on the back and my speeds basically doubled.

Im not into the technicalities but I dont believe you can have broadband from 2 separate providers at the same time in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Ordered on the 13th and no movement yet, any one else in the same boat ?

Also ordered on 13th, no sign of router or any activation dates yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Works fine for me - Sees my Buffalo NAS without any problems at all

Haven't tried it in a while, but the Hub definitely wouldn't see my Synology NAS. Vodafone router does. Must try the Hub again.....

Have you received your router? If so plug it in and check to see if it's connecting as I did that and it worked with no confirmation email from Sky. But I am also with Vodafone as I noticed that was also working!

No router yet and according to the site it hasn't been dispatched yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

hellboy99 wrote: »
    According to the Sky Rep that called today they will be doing an offer on their phone/broadband service in April were you get the first 6 months at half price.

That's interesting, anyone else heard this? I'm thinking of going with Sky but I'd hold off for a month if I can get this offer...

By the way, what's the number to contact Sky on about their Broadband. When I ring the number I have for them (0818 719 819) there's no mention of Broadband in any of the options.

Thanks...

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jasonb wrote: »
    .When I ring the number I have for them (0818 719 819) there's no mention of Broadband in any of the options.
    Definitely should be an option for broadband when you call that number.....maybe select the option for new customer or sales.

You could also try 0818 762917

Thanks for that, I rang 0818 762917. It was more of an information centre than sales (they'd have to transfer me to sales) but they were able to answer nearly all of my questions. They also gave me the sales number - 0818719896.

Now I just have to figure out if I can get any sort of discount from them (I'm already a TV customer) and if the post about 6 months half price in April is true!

Thanks...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Busted21

I too also signed up on the 13 th and still no sign of my hub

I was talking to their Sales department, and the woman I was talking to said she hadn't heard of any 'half price for 6 months in April' offer, and that in general they'd only hear of such offers about a week before they go live. So I'll have to decide myself whether to take a chance and order in the next couple of weeks, or wait 'til April to see if the offer exists.

One thing I will be doing is giving Eircom 30 days notice! My billing day is the 5th of each month, so I'll either ring them to cancel on the 5th of March, and then ring Sky about a week or so later, or I'll wait 'til the 5th of April.

J.

Ordered on the 13th Feb., just got an email saying my broadband will be active by the end 28th Feb, still no sign of a router.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,983 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My poor speed issues have now been escalated..

.. averaging out at about 0.5MB - 0.66MB at peak times.

Line is capable of up to 4MB, and have gotten 3.5MB - 3.6MB at times, albeit rarely since I moved to Sky.

No issues with previous provider, so am hoping it'll be resolved.. and soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Busted21

I signed up to Sky broadband and talk services on the 13th Feb i moved from Vodafone because i was challenging them on why i was only gettin 2.5 MBPS on line thats able to take up to 10.1 Mbps anyway after several 20 minute phone calls from my mobile as i had to leave the land line clear for testing the guy told me as far as hes concerned my Modem was faulty as every other test came back clear so he wanted either 80 euro for a new modem or if i signed up to a 12 month contract they would supply it for 30 euro however after i got off the phone to them i couldnt get speeds of anything greater than 700kbps so i decided to give Sky a buzz and while there package is costing me an extra €2.50 per month i get the Sky Hub for free and i can make unlimited international calls so i rang back vodafone and asked them if they wanted to offer me a stronger package and they couldnt so i made the move to sky up until now from the point of me signing up i have had no broadband as vodafone claimed my modem was faulty hence the speed of less than 1 MBPS i finally got an email from Sky this morning claiming my broad band was now active and my Sky hub is too follow in the coming days so for pig iron i plugged back in the old modem and what do you know i am getting from 5.1 mbps to 5.3 mbps so far i would be happy if the speeds are to stay at those speeds. on another note my friend rang eircom to enquire about making his line active so he can switch to Sky and the cheeky beggars only want to sign him up for €25 per month for 12 months for line rental only. surely that cant be legal can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Basq wrote: »
    My poor speed issues have now been escalated..

.. averaging out at about 0.5MB - 0.66MB at peak times.

Line is capable of up to 4MB, and have gotten 3.5MB - 3.6MB at times, albeit rarely since I moved to Sky.

No issues with previous provider, so am hoping it'll be resolved.. and soon.

Hi Basq,
    I was having similar issues with Sky. Was told my line could take 6Mbps so they pushed 6 down to it. The max speeds I was getting were 0.5.
    After talking to several different team members one of the guys decided to push down 5mbps instead of the 6, and since them I am getting somewhere over 4mbps and happy.
    Think they changed the profile ? :)
    give that a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,983 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hi Basq,
    I was having similar issues with Sky. Was told my line could take 6Mbps so they pushed 6 down to it. The max speeds I was getting were 0.5.
    After talking to several different team members one of the guys decided to push down 5mbps instead of the 6, and since them I am getting somewhere over 4mbps and happy.
    Think they changed the profile ? :)
    give that a go.
    Cheers DB.

Will see what they come back with.

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Ordered on the 13th Feb., just got an email saying my broadband will be active by the end 28th Feb, still no sign of a router.....

Same here !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

Same here !
    id ring them i got my router a few days after i ordered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

sky's bband service is still based off eircom's crappy infrastructure.

if you only got 3mb/s with eircom you will still only get 3mb/s with sky cos it's eircom's crappy lines that limit the speeds you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

if you only got 3mb/s with eircom you will still only get 3mb/s with sky cos it's eircom's crappy lines that limit the speeds you get.

Not true. Was only getting 0.89 with last provider, getting 1.30 + with sky.

Before

2469143688.png

After
    2517840270.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That's because your last provider probably had your line set up at 1Mbit because it's a long line. Sky are trying a bit higher. It's the same line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thats not the experience of most people who went with Sky. The speeds in almost all cases HAVE increased. Don't be fooled by Eircom's porkies about the capacity of your line:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

That's because your last provider probably had your line set up at 1Mbit because it's a long line. Sky are trying a bit higher. It's the same line.

What ever way you look at it. Despite numerous phone calls spanning over a year my last provider refused to increase my speed (couldn't watch a you tube video with buffering). Sky are giving me better speed over the same crappy lines. And no buffering!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I previously had problems on my bb connection from Vodafone, the speeds were low and i kept getting disconnected from Xbox live. After much back and forth with Vodafone support i didnt some investigation in the house and realised that the socket i was connecting to wasnt the Network Terminating Unit (NTU). Its the socket with the eircom branding on it.
    After much searching i finally found the NTU out in the garage. I plugged the bb router directly into this but still no good even VF were telling me the line could take the 8mb. I ended up disconnecting it an connecting a bog standard extension socket to the external line and the bb router into it. I instantly started getting 6Mb.
    Eventually an eircom engineer came out an replace the NTU and said for best bb speeds to make sure the router was plugged int that and not an extension socket elsewhere in the house. He also showed me that if you remove the lower panel of the NTU there is a "debugging" socket that you can plug into that bypasses the electronics in the NTU and connects you directly to the line. Which is what i was effectively doing by replacing NTU with the extension socket (my NTU was actually completely buggerd, including debug socket but the line reading kept saying it was fine).

So maybe if folks are having connection issues with sky or other provider, making sure you are connected to the NTU and\or trying connecting to the debug port might help connection speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

A load of old dribble. Was getting 3mb, now getting 6mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

A load of old dribble. Was getting 3mb, now getting 6mb

The basic point that it's the exact same phoneline is correct. You might get higher speeds but only in very limited circumstances where either eircom had you on ADSL1 and SKY switch you to ADSL2+, or where Eircom limited the connection because of **** backhaul at the exchange and SKY don't seem to be doing that. That has the downside of giving poor speeds at peak times.

• Advertisement

Still no sign of router but line has been moved over to Sky, getting double the speed i previously got, was promised triple.......maybe it'll get better...

2541487959.png

Advertisement