Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

I got my Sky hub delivered today.
    The letter says that my line will be activated on the 14th March, but I got an email saying that it is activated today.

My Eircom broadband was working fine after I came home from work so I said I would swap out the routers and the Sky one is working too?

Could I be being billed for both Sky broadband and Eircom broadband at the moment as both are working at the same time?

Router Status
    Systems Details
    Manufacturer Sky
    Model SR101
    Firmware Version 1.16b.2216.R
    ADSL Firmware Version A2pD035o.d24
    Modem
    Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 12286
    UpStream Connection Speed 670
    VPI 8
    VCI 35
    Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 12286 kbps 670 kbps
    Line Attenuation 26.0 dB 15.0 dB
    Noise Margin 13.2 dB 24.24 dB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,982 ✭✭✭✭Basq

cork_south wrote: »
    Could I be being billed for both Sky broadband and Eircom broadband at the moment as both are working at the same time?
    No, it was the same for me with Vodafone..

.. it'll work under your previous provider until your activation date (or close to).

You'll get an e-mail when you switch over.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

Basq wrote: »
    No, it was the same for me with Vodafone..

.. it'll work under your previous provider until your activation date (or close to).

You'll get an e-mail when you switch over.

Thanks Basq!

On a side note, I was getting around 6 to 7 meg with Eircom.
    Im getting a nice 10MB with Sky :)
    The only thing I will miss about Eircom is the Setanta Ireland streaming service.

2566583322.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Got my bill from Vodafone for March - not a final bill which I thought even though I went active with Sky on 26th February.

Vodafone are charging me for calls in February which I'm fine about but for broadband for March even though I've been with Sky since 26th February.

Anyone else have the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Delboy5

In the same situation as you, just got a bill from vodafone charging me for €40 for the month of March even though i moved to SKY on the 1st March.

Rang Vodafone and they explained that i should have give them 30 days notice, hence they are charging me for one more month....

Doesnt sound very ethical to me but he said its in the terms and conditions.....

Got my bill from Vodafone for March - not a final bill which I thought even though I went active with Sky on 26th February.

Vodafone are charging me for calls in February which I'm fine about but for broadband for March even though I've been with Sky since 26th February.

Anyone else have the same problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,242 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I switched to Sky on 4th February and a few days later I got my normal bill from Vodafone. I rang and asked why they were charging me for broadband that they weren't providing and was told I should have given 30 days notice.

I told her that I was informed by Sky not to contact them and that they (Sky) would look after that end of things. I also told her that I would get the transcript of that phone call if necessary and on top of that one of Vodafones reps on Boards Talk To forum had said that "technically" the notice had to be given but that they would not necessarily enforce it. I also added that after my 12 months contract was up with Sky there was a good chance that I would go back to Vodafone.

So after hearing all that the VF rep said that the direct debit for that month would go through but that they would then issue me with a refund and proceeded to tell me exactly how much the refund would be. As it turned out they didnt take the payment for broadband that month (they did for the phone calls obviously) and there is now a revised bill showing on my account for around €5.80 credit I think

Anyone in this position should argue their point with Vodafone and mention the points I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 exterminator447

I am deciding on changing my Service over to SKY for both services, does anybody have any problems with there Broadband service. Is it reliable or does it go down often, please let me know before I give them a ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I am deciding on changing my Service over to SKY for both services, does anybody have any problems with there Broadband service. Is it reliable or does it go down often, please let me know before I give them a ring

it's generally just eircom bitstream (unless you are on an LLU exchange) so whatever you have now is pretty much what you'll get with Sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

This is what I am being charged:

> Package Price
    > Sky Connect Unlimited €20.00
    > Sky Talk €30.00
    > Sky Talk Freetime1 €0.00

Can anybody else confirm if they are paying €50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hey folks,

Im currently with Vodafone but have been having serious issues with the Vodafone router and our landline. Im seriously thinking about changing.

I currently have the 7MB package (getting 5.5) and unlimited national calls. Works out about 45 per month. Do Sky have anything similar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Hey folks,

Im currently with Vodafone but have been having serious issues with the Vodafone router and our landline. Im seriously thinking about changing.

I currently have the 7MB package (getting 5.5) and unlimited national calls. Works out about 45 per month. Do Sky have anything similar?

Depending on your network your looking at unlimited bb and anytime calls for 47;50 or unlimited bb and talk free time for 40...get your uan number and ring them for a price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

Well, I sent to letter to Eircom informing them that I wanted to cancel my account. One week later and they say there's no sign of it. Imagine how surprised I am...

Anyhow, I agreed to ring back on Tuesday and if they don't have it then they said that they will agree a day with me when my account will be cancelled, basically 30 days after the letter *should* have been received. Here's hoping that when I ring on Tuesday the person I'm talking to then also agrees with this plan...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ashyboots

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this... I registered my interest with Sky last August and never heard anything. I only copped yesterday when I got a flyer in the door that the broadband is now available. Is there any way I can still avail of the €10 offer? I thought that seeing as I regisitered my interest that they would have at least contacted me about it... :(

Aisling

Hi Aisling,

Nope, that deal is gone (I registered in November and heard nothing either). The only prices available now are the ones on the leaflet and on their website...

J.

Darn it! How did people find out about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

ashyboots wrote: »
    Darn it! How did people find out about it?

Here :D

Lol, so the registration of interest was pointless then?? Silly Sky. I'm on vodafone at the moment back have finished a contract. Thinking about moving to Sky for broadband, do I still have to give Vodafone 30 days notice? Also, on the sky website it mentions possible set up and delivery charges - did anyone have to pay anything for these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Someone in this thread gave out a phone number and a lot of us rang that and got the early deal regardless of registering an intrest. I paid no set up charge just €17 (maybe 17.50) a month for phone an BB

From what I've read, there are no set up / delivery charges...

J.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone know how much it costs to get out of contract with sky?
    After years of no sign of anything faster than bog standard eircom dsl i can now avail of up to 24 mb with eircom NGB, cant fecking believe it after years of asking about it.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Anyone know how much it costs to get out of contract with sky?
    After years of no sign of anything faster than bog standard eircom dsl i can now avail of up to 24 mb with eircom NGB, cant fecking believe it after years of asking about it.

The minimum package x the number o months left

Cheers,

Im now wondering should my line with sky be able for something faster now?

My brother was with NGB in a town 5 miles away and was getting 15 mb but also switched to sky and is getting 15 mb with sky now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Does anyone know why the Sky broadband line checker says the 'Estimated Line Checker speed' for my line is 5.8Mbps when I currently have speeds of 7Mbps on an 8Mbps package with my current provider?

If I switched to SKY for my broadband shouldn't I at least expect to achieve the speeds I currently get not less?

Dcully wrote: »
    Cheers,

Im now wondering should my line with sky be able for something faster now?

My brother was with NGB in a town 5 miles away and was getting 15 mb but also switched to sky and is getting 15 mb with sky now.

Give em a ring I ain't on the bb tech team so couldn't tell u...I imagine what they would do is the test they where doing on your line and see if they can increase your speed like when u first signed up

Ok i rang sky, all they could say was if the exchange was upgraded i should see speed increase but as of yet eircom have not informed sky.
    The guys said i just have to wait until eircom transfer info to sky.

Jaysus, wonder how long that will take.

Eircom do seem to be a bit childish lol people are deactivating accounts with eircom and eircom ain't passing on the info straight away so we can't sign em up lol

iPhone. wrote: »
    Does anyone know why the Sky broadband line checker says the 'Estimated Line Checker speed' for my line is 5.8Mbps when I currently have speeds of 7Mbps on an 8Mbps package with my current provider?

If I switched to SKY for my broadband shouldn't I at least expect to achieve the speeds I currently get not less?

Do that online or ring in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

:confused:
    Wils110 wrote: »
    Do that online or ring in

eh? Do what online?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Started with sky on Feb 28th and still getting variable speeds. The line checker said I should be able to get 15MB but I seem to be getting anything from 1MB up to 12MB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,982 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Doodoo wrote: »
    Started with sky on Feb 28th and still getting variable speeds. The line checker said I should be able to 15MB but I seem to be getting anything from 1MB up to 12MB.
    Join the club..

.. i'm not happy with them at all.

Been onto broadband support for them 4 - 5 times in the last fortnight - was on hold for a hour hour on Tuesday night.. only to be pushed back to customer service and be told the broadband support was closed.

Sent them a bollocking via e-mail and am yet to hear back.

Was getting an average whopping 0.15MB down, 0.4MB up some evenings.. I can only assume at this stage that the Sky Hub is to blame.

Advertisement