Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Wils110 wrote: »
    Eircom do seem to be a bit childish lol people are deactivating accounts with eircom and eircom ain't passing on the info straight away so we can't sign em up lol

You don't normally deactivate your existing broadband/phone to switch providers. You just contact the new provider and it's handed over fairly seamlessly.

If you cease your line, it would have to be reactivated again which would cause delays, even if you were going back to eircom.

In the Irish setup, you don't even need to inform your previous supplier (I think you sometimes do in the UK which might be causing confusion).

If you're subject to a minimum contract however, your line will either not move, or you will get a stonking huge bill from your previous supplier to cover the early termination charge.

If you've no contractual obligations on the account though, just contact your new supplier e.g. Sky, give your phone + UAN number (printed on your bill) and you'll be swapped over. Only time you get a delay is where you've an LLU provider like Smart Telecom or you're bringing across a cable phone or VoIP line from the likes of UPC, Blueface etc as it can take a while for the number to port. All of those services that have normal geographic phone numbers have a UAN number to allow portability though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Basq wrote: »
    Join the club..

.. i'm not happy with them at all.

Been onto broadband support for them 4 - 5 times in the last fortnight - was on hold for a hour hour on Tuesday night.. only to be pushed back to customer service and be told the broadband support was closed.

Sent them a bollocking via e-mail and am yet to hear back.

Was getting an average whopping 0.15MB down, 0.4MB up some evenings.. I can only assume at this stage that the Sky Hub is to blame.

Why don't you swap it for a router of your choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Sky wont let you. They only allow their BB to run from their Sky Hub. Its a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,982 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, the plan is to throw back in the reliable old Netopia..

.. but Sky make it awkward to determine username and password.
    Hogzy wrote: »
    Sky wont let you. They only allow their BB to run from their Sky Hub. Its a joke.
    I think you can actually.. but you've to telnet in to get it or some such nonsense.

Then why am I using an Eircom-supplied ZyXel with Sky?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056899342

• Advertisement

Harry,

Can you send how you got the instructions?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

cork_south wrote: »
    I got my Sky hub delivered today.
    The letter says that my line will be activated on the 14th March, but I got an email saying that it is activated today.

My Eircom broadband was working fine after I came home from work so I said I would swap out the routers and the Sky one is working too?

Could I be being billed for both Sky broadband and Eircom broadband at the moment as both are working at the same time?

Router Status
    Systems Details
    Manufacturer Sky
    Model SR101
    Firmware Version 1.16b.2216.R
    ADSL Firmware Version A2pD035o.d24
    Modem
    Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 12286
    UpStream Connection Speed 670
    VPI 8
    VCI 35
    Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 12286 kbps 670 kbps
    Line Attenuation 26.0 dB 15.0 dB
    Noise Margin 13.2 dB 24.24 dB

If you dial 19800 on your landline phone, it will tell you who your current provider is. I suspect you changed to SKY pretty quickly, mine was turned over within a couple of hours.

Harry,

Thanks in advance.

PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Harry,

Thanks in advance.
    Me too harry, thanks.

Doodoo wrote: »
    Me too harry, thanks.

PM Sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 trilobite80

Doodoo wrote: »
    Me too harry, thanks.

Me three! Been lurking for awhile trying to figure my low speeds out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

can you pm me as well

naughto wrote: »
    can you pm me as well
    Me three! Been lurking for awhile trying to figure my low speeds out!

PMs sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Then why am I using an Eircom-supplied ZyXel with Sky?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056899342

Does that mean I could go back to my belkin? I had a hard drive connected to it and it was great.
    Can you pm me the instructions please. Thanks.

Does that mean I could go back to my belkin? I had a hard drive connected to it and it was great.
    Can you pm me the instructions please. Thanks.

I don't know. I'm not sure if every router is compatible with Sky. My Zxyel that eircom gave me works, so if the shit routers eircom supply work, then any router could work.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I dunno, I was getting 9.4 down earlier this week on Speedtest, versus 10800kbps connection speed from the hub.

Now seems they have throttled me back to 8800kbps at the hub, 7.5mb down.

Anyone else finding Sky are reducing their speeds after a week or so?

AidenL wrote: »
    I dunno, I was getting 9.4 down earlier this week on Speedtest, versus 10800kbps connection speed from the hub.

Now seems they have throttled me back to 8800kbps at the hub, 7.5mb down.

Anyone else finding Sky are reducing their speeds after a week or so?

For the first two weeks, your speeds will fluctuate. They do this to find the best speed your line can handle. If it keeps happening after two weeks of signing up to Sky, lodge a complaint.

I don't know. I'm not sure if every router is compatible with Sky. My Zxyel that eircom gave me works, so if the shit routers eircom supply work, then any router could work.
    I've owned a lot of routers - and those "shitty" Netopia routers that were once supplied (unsure if they still are) with Eircom are hands down the most reliable I've encountered and still working after 6 - 8 years.

Try and use the one supplied by Vodafone and you'll lob it into traffic within the hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Any chance I could get that PM too?

Any chance I could get that PM too?

Its just a link to the sky help forum

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/ROI-Broadband-Talk/Speeds-never-fluctuated/td-p/917684

• Advertisement

I've owned a lot of routers - and those "shitty" Netopia routers that were once supplied (unsure if they still are) with Eircom are hands down the most reliable I've encountered and still working after 6 - 8 years.

Try and use the one supplied by Vodafone and you'll lob it into traffic within the hour.

I said shitty Zxyel, not Netopia. I've actually used both and both are better than my Sky hub and my Netgear DGND3300v2.

The wireless range on the Netopia is awesome, but make sure your security type isn't WEP because you can hack those easily.

The wireless range on the Netopia is awesome, but make sure your security type isn't WEP because you can hack those easily.
    Actually yeah.. that reminds me!

I've always been using WPA2 on my routers. But when the Sky Hub arrived, the connection with my Apple TV upstairs got very dodgy - constantly dropping and buffering video.

Dropping it to WEP security was the only thing to fix it.. so am convinced the wireless range on the Sky Hub is atrocious too.

Did I send that to you? Sorry if I did, I'll PM you the proper link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Why the PMs? Just put it up.

Why the PMs? Just put it up.

It's a link to another forum. I always get banned or infracted for the most ridiculous of things on here, so I'm not posting the link. This is the second-longest that I've had an account on here.

Granted, I never bother reading charters, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

does anyone have sky talk call answering working?

i had mine activated, when i dial 1571 nothing happens

rang sky up and they said it was not going to work for anybody until first week in april :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Although sky is selling and providing the bb and talk the product hasn't officially being launched it will on the 1 April that would be the reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

sorry if it's been answered

any issues with sky bb & eircom phone watch?

kaimera wrote: »
    sorry if it's been answered

any issues with sky bb & eircom phone watch?
    Yup, just mentioned by someone in one of the other sky bb threads.

I'll find it later for ya if you want.

I have eircom phone watch and sky bb. I don't think i have any issues. Having said that the system has not tried to call them yet.. What kinda issues?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

I have eircom phone watch and sky bb. I don't think i have any issues. Having said that the system has not tried to call them yet.. What kinda issues?
    OOps, don't mind me.:o:o:o

Don't know how I mashed that up.:confused:

Advertisement