Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Ok, now I'm confused.

I was on my way back to eircom from Sky. Have had the usual ups and downs speed with Sky, currently getting this:

2636326978.png

Now I checked with eircom, and they said the exchange can't do more than 8megs. Cant match what I'm getting from Sky.

Its the same lines - so whats the story there??

I'm getting the Sky drops at night down to 2megs or so - what exactly will I gain from eircom? Consistent and steady speed, but around 30% less than the Sky peaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I hope to be swiched over from Sky to Eircom tomorrow. I still see the Sky speeds are dropping every evening. Will report back what the story is with Eircom. They said my line was capable of 20Mb. Seeing is believing, though.

2645549478.png

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

Does anyone know if the High Court ruling made today about the six internet providers blocking Pirate Bay related sites applies to any provider not specifically on the list?

The Indo and IT say the list is: UPC, Imagine, Vodafone, Digiweb, Hutchison 3G Ltd and Telefonica O2 Ireland Ltd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭cullenswood

BrianHal wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the High Court ruling made today about the six internet providers blocking Pirate Bay related sites applies to any provider not specifically on the list?

The Indo and IT say the list is: UPC, Imagine, Vodafone, Digiweb, Hutchison 3G Ltd and Telefonica O2 Ireland Ltd.

Ah that explains why Pirate Bay did not load on my phone this morning....I am with Three Ireland. I switched on Wifi (with Sky) and it loaded away fine though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I was out of contract with Eircon last month so rang to see if they wanted to keep me as a customer.

I was offered my current up to 8mb with off peak calls for €40 per month on an ongoing basis with no increase after 6 months and no contract. I agreed to this as it was a good deal.

Got my next bill in the door and no sign of this new price on it so I rang Eircon and they are now refusing to honour the deal I was offered on 7th May.

I think I will now give sky a try out and see if they can match the poor speeds I was getting with Eircon for €50/month, they cant be any worse and will at least be €10 cheaper per month than dishonest Eircon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I was out of contract with Eircon last month so rang to see if they wanted to keep me as a customer.

I was offered my current up to 8mb with off peak calls for €40 per month on an ongoing basis with no increase after 6 months and no contract. I agreed to this as it was a good deal.

Got my next bill in the door and no sign of this new price on it so I rang Eircon and they are now refusing to honour the deal I was offered on 7th May.

I think I will now give sky a try out and see if they can match the poor speeds I was getting with Eircon for €50/month, they cant be any worse and will at least be €10 cheaper per month than dishonest Eircon

Well i'm in Laois and left Eircom for Sky, i was getting 8mb but am now getting 12 to 13 with sky:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I just signed my sister up for Sky Unlimited and the basic Sky Talk package for €30 extra (on top of her tv) for 6 months and €40 after that.

Is their leeway to haggle a deal to sign a 12 month contract? She's been a Sky tv customer for 3 years without a problem.

Morf wrote: »
    I just signed my sister up for Sky Unlimited and the basic Sky Talk package for €30 extra (on top of her tv) for 6 months and €40 after that.

Is their leeway to haggle a deal to sign a 12 month contract? She's been a Sky tv customer for 3 years without a problem.
    I'm signed up with the broadband free for 6 months so it will be €30 a month for the first 6 months then €40 a month after that! the best eircon offer is €40/month rising to €50/month after 6 months for the exact same service!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm signed up with the broadband free for 6 months so it will be €30 a month for the first 6 months then €40 a month after that! the best eircon offer is €40/month rising to €50/month after 6 months for the exact same service!
    What part of Carlow are you from? I get 14mb with Sky on a 12mb line :) Modem syncs at 16.6mb though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭positron

My sky broadband is acting up, although I am not sure. Speedtest.net shows 3.45ish mb most of the time, but some times it dips to 1.5 or 2.5, and back to 3.5 within minutes. The reason I did all those tests were because normal Youtube videos were buffering. Really tempted to jump the ship and go fibre.

What part of Carlow are you from? I get 14mb with Sky on a 12mb line :) Modem syncs at 16.6mb though
    Near the Éire Óg club, line checker told me I could expect 4.5mb but the email confirmation of the order mentioned 5.2mbps so it may work out faster than Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

positron wrote: »
    My sky broadband is acting up, although I am not sure. Speedtest.net shows 3.45ish mb most of the time, but some times it dips to 1.5 or 2.5, and back to 3.5 within minutes. The reason I did all those tests were because normal Youtube videos were buffering. Really tempted to jump the ship and go fibre.

Sky will be offering fibre in the next few months, once the mad rush dies down. Might be better to wait.

Near the Éire Óg club, line checker told me I could expect 4.5mb but the email confirmation of the order mentioned 5.2mbps so it may work out faster than Eircom.
    Would that area not expect better speeds than that?
    I live in Graiguecullen right next to Dunnes where there's a new VDSL Cab...
    So hopefully.... :D
    Speed test of my current Sky connection.
    2783559178.png

Would that area not expect better speeds than that?
    I live in Graiguecullen right next to Dunnes where there's a new VDSL Cab...
    So hopefully.... :D
    Speed test of my current Sky connection.
    2783559178.png
    I'm about a mile or less from the exchange as the crow flies but the cable goes out the pollerton road and all over the town so is about 2miles before I get it.

2784454339.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

Sky will be offering fibre in the next few months, once the mad rush dies down. Might be better to wait.
    how do you no this ??

naughto wrote: »
    how do you no this ??

Mentioned on this thread & on the $ky Support Forum.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Broadband-Talk/Sky-Fibre-in-Republic-of-Ireland-update/td-p/1156568.

We are now nearly half way through the year, so, if I know $ky, it will be sooner rather than later.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I in a bit of a quandary.....been an Eircom customer for about 3-4 years now. Living in Tallaght along the M50.
    BB was initially very patchy, has become more reliable in the last 12 months. I blame that crap Zytel modem I got. Replaced it last year and no change...I refuse to fork out 70-100 quid to buy my own. When the current BB is working it is fine for our usage.
    I have their 'unlimited download' package as easier with 3 teenagers in the house, hence not going elsewhere as no-one else has this. I am not eligible for eFibre anytime soon.

Looking to switch to Sky....Eircom contract is up soon. I would love to switch but I have heard that Sky use Eircom hardware to deliver their product. However approx 12 month ago a helpful chap from Eircom informed me that my line can only accept 4mbps connection speed. So the whole "Next Gen Broadband" from Eircom is not available to me.

Just did a speedtest:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2803281063.png

Is Sky decent? Pricewise goiung to them will be a bit less than current Eircom phone+BB combined with my existng Sky TV package.

Tenger wrote: »
    I in a bit of a quandary.....been an Eircom customer for about 3-4 years now. Living in Tallaght along the M50.
    BB was initially very patchy, has become more reliable in the last 12 months. I blame that crap Zytel modem I got. Replaced it last year and no change...I refuse to fork out 70-100 quid to buy my own. When the current BB is working it is fine for our usage.
    I have their 'unlimited download' package as easier with 3 teenagers in the house, hence not going elsewhere as no-one else has this. I am not eligible for eFibre anytime soon.

Looking to switch to Sky....Eircom contract is up soon. I would love to switch but I have heard that Sky use Eircom hardware to deliver their product. However approx 12 month ago a helpful chap from Eircom informed me that my line can only accept 4mbps connection speed. So the whole "Next Gen Broadband" from Eircom is not available to me.

Just did a speedtest:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2803281063.png

Is Sky decent? Pricewise goiung to them will be a bit less than current Eircom phone+BB combined with my existng Sky TV package.
    Sky do the unlimited up to 8Mb broadband plus their off-peak talk package for €40/month which is €10 cheaper than the same Eircom package. Overall for the whole year SKY are cheaper and at the moment they are offering free broadband(€10 off) for the first 6 months.

You will be no worse off with SKY as far as the speed goes and their router is supposed to be very good for WiFi and my ping since moving to sky is about half what it was with Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

I was a Sky customer 1 year ago, and returned to them this month. Got TV, Broadband and Talk. They said I'll get broadband (€10) and TV (€35) for free for 6 months. Just need to pay for the phone (€30). It costs less than going with a different company for phone and broadband and having a separate Sky TV subscription.

Since Sky use the same phone line, your broadband speed will be pretty much the same as eircom. The only way to get faster speed for your home is to get fibre broadband. Also, their Sky Hub (router) is even better than my old Netgear router, I can get wi-fi signal from my back garden now.

Anyway, here's what my speed's like:
    2803636072.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

That's my thinking too.....I'll save 15-20 Euro per month. And even if I get an increase of 1 mb over what I have then I have done well. (Practically speaking 1 combined bill is easier to budget for that 2 seperates...in my opinion)

The money saved will allow me to get Netflix and still have left over for a pint or 2.

My speed with Sky.
    2821388110.png
    Apparetnly eFibre is launching for me on 12 of this month but can't get it cos with Sky :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Ordered sky on the 1st of July got emails to say the phone and internet was activated on the 5th ..days go by and still the line is dead and the modem still won't get service ,

Called them on the 9th explained to them (since our tv was installed this day)
    told they will look into it and call back in 30mins. so get a call back to be told they activated the WRONG phone line like WOW said they would cancel it and they took our details again and said it would take at least 5 days to get the right line active .

Let's just say i'm still waiting and guess what i just got a bill from sky billing me for phone and broadband which isn't even on yet AT ALL :mad::mad:

Jokers this is the worst i have ever had all the times i have been with Eircom and Vodafone they never messed it up like this line was always active in 1-2days Sky are just taking the total p1ss right now ..It will take alot for me to recommend them to other people following this mess.

Luckily for 3 mobile broadband that i have been using for 5+ years without issues , Lets just say Sky will be getting a nice call from me tomorrow :D:D

Does anyone know how you set up a Netgear modem-router to accept the Sky connections? What are the settings I have to enter to get Sky running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Does anyone know how you set up a Netgear modem-router to accept the Sky connections? What are the settings I have to enter to get Sky running?

Have a look here ;)

Advertisement