Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats a good salary for canada?

Options
  • 20-01-2013 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Was just thinking, whats a good salary to be earning in canada so that your not just living week to week paying bills etc. Obviously the more the better but realitically if you were earning 60-70k a year would you have a good lifestyle, the odd few weekends away etc. I guess this is for anyone over there already who has taken into account the prices of everyday items.
    Some feedback would be great.

Cheers:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

60k? Nah, youd only be able to eat lobster out 5 nights a week, are you joking? Wouldnt that salary be good in any country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

adamski8 wrote: »
    60k? Nah, youd only be able to eat lobster out 5 nights a week, are you joking? Wouldnt that salary be good in any country!

I know, did make me laff.

Just noticed $2.75 happy hour pints in a bar next to our hotel for our next trip down to Seattle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

adamski8 wrote: »

60k is not considered good in Auz, sounds good but you wont have too much change left after rent etc. 80-100k would be considered good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Canada aint oz though bud;)
    I no a 1000 quid a week would be grand for a single lad like myself in my 20 s with no one to support :) i don't know how far it would get me if i had a WIFE kids etc. It all depends on your situation and where your going?:)

Is toronto not expensive? How would it compare to sydney?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

I'm aiming for a crispy salary of 35k - 45k in Canada. If I have to work 14 - 16 hours a day so be it. Like Ross said though, it depends on your situation.

WasterEx wrote: »
    I'm aiming for a crispy salary of 35k - 45k in Canada. If I have to work 14 - 16 hours a day so be it. Like Ross said though, it depends on your situation.

What do you work at?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

zweton wrote: »
    What do you work at?

I currently work at being on the dole. I have a qualification in IT but I've moved on, it no longer interests me. Plan is to work in labouring and a bar/ restaurant in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Hey,

Was just thinking, whats a good salary to be earning in canada so that your not just living week to week paying bills etc. Obviously the more the better but realitically if you were earning 60-70k a year would you have a good lifestyle, the odd few weekends away etc. I guess this is for anyone over there already who has taken into account the prices of everyday items.

It very much depends on which part of Canada you are living in; I'd expect that in Vancouver rent will be at least double the equivalent in Montreal.

Taxes are higher in Quebec that other provinces, but the cost of accommodation is typically the biggest cost you will have and it's lower in Montreal than Toronto by at least 25% and 50% lower than Vancouver.

Public transport is pretty good in Montreal and it's $75 / month for unlimited use of the bus and subway.

I'm told that food, especially fresh food, is cheaper in Vancouver, but in Montreal you can save a lot on supermarket prices at the markets and the quality is likely much better.

In Quebec however you will have about 25% of your salary taken for tax, pension, social insurance etc. every pay check which I think is 5% to 10% more than in other provinces.

All my figures are based on very limited research and experience but I don't think they are far off! :pac:

$50 - $60k in Montreal will allow you to have a great lifestyle and some weekends away.

Some great info thanks, im hoping to get a similar salary in Toronto so not sure how it compares to montreal. Actually planning a trip up there seems like a class city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

if youre on your own, I reckon you could live comfortably enough in Toronto on 45k upwards.

retalivity wrote: »
    if youre on your own, I reckon you could live comfortably enough in Toronto on 45k upwards.

I would define 'on your own' as having no family to support. I would expect that you would need to be splitting the rent with a housemate to really be comfortable on $45k. It's a very good salary but I'd expect it would take a lot of it to get a nice place in Toronto.

I would define 'on your own' as having no family to support. I would expect that you would need to be splitting the rent with a housemate to really be comfortable on $45k. It's a very good salary but I'd expect it would take a lot of it to get a nice place in Toronto.

yeah i meant with no family to support and sharing somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Well considering the average income is around 35K, I'd imagine you could live comfortably off 45K.

Edit, obviously I'm assuming sharing rent and probably not renting in the Downtown core.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I'm told that food, especially fresh food, is cheaper in Vancouver, but in Montreal you can save a lot on supermarket prices at the markets and the quality is likely much better.

Thats the wrong way round i reckon. You have to hit the persian markets or chinese markets. Dont shop in the supermarkets, they mad expensive. AS for quality, BC's fruit and veg is 2nd to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

ciaran67 wrote: »

Thats the wrong way round i reckon. You have to hit the persian markets or chinese markets. Dont shop in the supermarkets, they mad expensive. AS for quality, BC's fruit and veg is 2nd to none.

Most of the produce is imported from the US and Mexico. I've rarely been able to find anything that's decent and reasonably priced. Peppers amongst other things always look like they've been kicked all the way to Vancouver. I've tried as many different places and quality and price is usually the same.

In season local produce is class though.

You could live in Vancouver for around 30k a year pretty well. Forget about downtown rental, look in east van for a 1 bedroom in a decent area. Should be good places for around $700 a month near transport. I got a 2 bedroom place close to buses and skytrain for $1000 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

I assume you are all talking about Canadian Dollars, rather than converted to Euro?
    Just checking, as there was a rerefence to the Australian Dollar too.

I assume you are all talking about Canadian Dollars, rather than converted to Euro?
    Just checking, as there was a rerefence to the Australian Dollar too.

Yeah Canadian dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Hey,

Not enough info. What do you work at? How many years experience.

Also, it's a subjective topic. My opinion of a 'good' salary might not be the same as yours.

60k+ should be fine to include trips in the general region throughout the year. It really does depend on lifestyle though. You could dump your monthly wage on a sweet place and big nights out easily. If you were a little more modest you'd manage trips to Hawaii, Vegas etc easily enough. You can make a lot of money in Canada but boy can you spend it quick too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Seems most people are going over on the whim of picking up casual work, is there anyone going over to pick up professional work?
    Canada is the new Australia it seems.

circadian wrote: »
    60k+ should be fine to include trips in the general region throughout the year. It really does depend on lifestyle though. You could dump your monthly wage on a sweet place and big nights out easily. If you were a little more modest you'd manage trips to Hawaii, Vegas etc easily enough. You can make a lot of money in Canada but boy can you spend it quick too.

$60k is great money, however if you are planning to be going to Vegas and Hawaii you must bear in mind that vacation days can be sparse and taxes on flights are very high.

The standard number of paid holidays is 10 days a year while I think it's more like 20 in Ireland. After 6 years in federal jobs it goes up to 15. I think that to get 15 days from day one is considered very good, I don't know how many jobs will offer that but I doubt many will offer more than that.

People near the border will often drive to the USA and fly from the nearest US airport as it's much cheaper.

The number of public holidays varies a lot between provinces too, Quebec has the fewest I think, around 6 or 7 while Ontario has the most, around 9 or 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Accrual Intentions

jank wrote: »
    Seems most people are going over on the whim of picking up casual work, is there anyone going over to pick up professional work?
    Canada is the new Australia it seems.

I am and seem to be in the small minority. I was hopeful that I could eventually find something in my line of work, even if I have to take an initial step or two backwards, but after spending a few weeks/months researching and job hunting over the net I'm less optimistic - its probably like everything though, you won't know until you get out there and start meeting people etc.

I'll be a Chartered Accountant when I go. Have already looked into how the Irish qualification is recognised etc and all out there. What about yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

well causal work is better then no work here and with the change of getting something long term out of it. so i think anyone that's leaving Ireland to pursue a better life in canada fair play to them.:)

There's a lot of people who have come over/are coming over that are looking at fulltime/professional work (myself included). With the changes in the visa this year, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to get a job in a profesisonal field than it was for me (visa restrictions, ease of aplpying for residency to stay longer, etc).

I get 15 days holiday in the year, and from what I understand, i am lucky as most other people get 10. or less.
    still a pain in the ass though, as i was on 22 in ireland!

I get 15 days paid holidays but it seems that depending on how busy things are and if you ask far enough in advance, you can get extra days off unpaid. I also get 3 'well being' days which my manager described as hangover days! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Accrual Intentions

I get 15 days paid holidays but it seems that depending on how busy things are and if you ask far enough in advance, you can get extra days off unpaid. I also get 3 'well being' days which my manager described as hangover days! :pac:

Can I ask what area you are working in?

Similarly, anyone else sharing their experiences, where are you working?

I.T. in Financial Services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm hoping to get professional work.If I don't I'll leave.

• Advertisement

Me too!

Advertisement